S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Coolant warning after project..But System is Full ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Low Coolant warning after project..But System is Full ??

Since I finished the belt last night and put everything back together I have a low coolant warning...but the system is full.

My assumption is air in the system.. Where is the bleeder valve... Is it the small plastic knob next to the left hand hose on top of the expansion tank??

Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The level sensor is in the expansion tank, although air locks can occur after a refill I don't think it would affect the level sensor, I'm not sure how the sensor works, but I think it's a float in a little side chamber of the tank, maybe it just got stuck at low level or the connector is not quite seated right.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree with djdex. When the dealer replaced the DCCV valve on mine they warned me that there may be air pockets left over. Just to keep an eye on things and they would top it off if anything happened.... Well, I picked up a gallon of pre-mix just to be safe. I got an intermittent coolant warning and what do you know..Just needed a bit to top her off. So check the sensor and keep in mind..If it is anything like mine..It will light up when the coolant level drops by just a very little bit. It wasn't enough for me to even notice visually, but as soon as I added a little bit the light went out for good.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by djdex
The level sensor is in the expansion tank, although air locks can occur after a refill I don't think it would affect the level sensor, I'm not sure how the sensor works, but I think it's a float in a little side chamber of the tank, maybe it just got stuck at low level or the connector is not quite seated right.
it really just a long probe...I took it out a couple times just to be sure...I am still wondernig if there is a bleeder valve somwhere for air release..cant find one unless its the small dime size knob on top of the tank

Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I agree with djdex. When the dealer replaced the DCCV valve on mine they warned me that there may be air pockets left over. Just to keep an eye on things and they would top it off if anything happened.... Well, I picked up a gallon of pre-mix just to be safe. I got an intermittent coolant warning and what do you know..Just needed a bit to top her off. So check the sensor and keep in mind..If it is anything like mine..It will light up when the coolant level drops by just a very little bit. It wasn't enough for me to even notice visually, but as soon as I added a little bit the light went out for good.
mine is at the top and has not moved....so I guess I need to check the probe....and still figure out how to bleed any air from the system...there must be a way

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

If I remember correctly in JTIS, the bleed procedure is just to open that screw on the expansion tank and fill on a level surface. In addition, for the SC circuit, I think the procedure is to remove that big plug up front, run the car and top off. When I used the process, I didn't have to add any coolant afterwards so it should be ok.

I think if you really are worried, they make a bleed tool that creates a vaccum in the system that sucks in the coolant to make sure there isn't any air pockets. I bought the tool but my air compressor isn't big enough to run the tool.

With regards to the sensor, you may be able to measure the resistance across the terminals dry and in water to see if its working.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

I think I have an extra sensor if you need it. I had a cracked expansion tank, and the replacement came with a new sensor. It just comes out with 1/2 a turn if I remember correctly. Are you SURE the sensor is submerged? You shouldn't see any white on the sides of the tank if it is.

George

Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I trick I learned with my vette (although I don't know if it holds true for a S Type) is to fill the system with the car parked on an incline. Nose up. This causes any air that might be in the system to rise to the top front of the motor.