S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOT time.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducmon
That is why I used Sachs 311 535 they are fully compatible and only cost 103 euros each. I was unable to get billsteins for less than 300 each even at trade price.

As they are super touring they match the billsteins sports I was unable to get
Thank you for your input ducmon, I very much appreciate it.
The UK prices online vary wildly for Bilstein rear shocks from £80 plus VAT to £300 plus VAT each ! But I am going with the Bilstiens for the simple reason they are readily available from many suppliers and I have only found two suppliers for the Sachs. I am going to replace the front shocks soon this year and will go with Bilstien again. If I decide to part ex the car this year it will look better having Bilsteins all round.
Although I can get Jaguar OE rear shocks for just under £200 the Bilstein's are higher than OE spec.

I don't understand the vast variation in price for the same parts. Its the same situation with car insurance.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

I totally understand where you are coming from. I too do not understand where some firms make these prices up from. This is why I shared with everyone my experience in finding cheaper shocks.

It seems to be dependant on the country that you are living in which ones are cheaper.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ducmon
I totally understand where you are coming from. I too do not understand where some firms make these prices up from. This is why I shared with everyone my experience in finding cheaper shocks.

It seems to be dependant on the country that you are living in which ones are cheaper.

Re other country prices, yes I agree with regards pricing and I have found I can buy motorcycle parts for my bike much cheaper in Germany, it does pay to shop around on the international market.
Such a shame that the US shipping costs are ridiculously high. Ive been looking at the same brands of rear shocks for around £40 each but they don't ship outside of the US.
I have literally just ordered a pair of Bilsteins for mine £204 delivered and I am pleased with that.

By the way, did you know that Jaguar UK have decided to sell parts for the older Jaguar cars like the S type for up to 50% off? The lower rear suspension arm for mine is now only £190 direct from my local main dealer ! That's a good move! Same pattern parts can be bought for over £400 online. I think owners should try Jaguar first for parts prices. Based on that price you get a better idea of what you would expect to pay online.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

The Bilstein B4 rear shocks arrived today and they are looking good.
I replaced the 3 blown bulbs at the rear, do these things go in unison or summat?
No signs of any water ingress and I keep the water channels around the boot ultra clean to maintain good fast run off.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Update.

The car passed its MOT on the 8th Feb.
Two new advisories but nothing major.
The cost was quite high for me. But very low compared to workshop prices.
Total labour was £400.
That included removing the plastic cills and welding both rear inner cills.

The new parts that were fitted:
New offside lower suspension wishbone.
​​​​​Two rear shocks.
Two front discs and pads.
Rear suspension Bush.
Rear suspension gaiter.
Front nearside brake line.
New bolts for shocks and wishbone.
5 new exterior light bulbs. Canbus type.

The Bilstien shocks came to £207 incl delivery.
The suspension arm was about £160

Tip for members that the price of Bilstiens with this supplier have been discounted again by this independent.

Bilstien price on their website is £300 each.

​​​

Last edited by Busa; 02-19-2018 at 08:32 AM.