Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Problem

Hello,

My 2003 S-Type that I just purchased has a factory navigation system. The DVD that came with the car was dated 2001, so I went to Navteq and purchased the 2008-2009 disc. It arrived today, and I put it in the player in the trunk and now the screen is blank. None of the buttons surrounding the screen work and the only display is in the small window below the screen and it changes between 50 and 51. Does anyone know if I did something wrong? Everything was working perfectly before I inserted the new disc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Hi Mike, the first thing I would do is try to go back. Put the old disc in the reader and see if the situation returns to normal. Can't imagine how changing the disc could affect the hard buttons. Also, the small window below the touch screen is the climate control temp display. Shows outside temp and how the driver and passenger have their temp controls set.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

I would try jackjohns recommendation first and see if operation is restored. Other than that do you know which software version you had before inserting the new disc? The original version for your car would have had the green background leaper screen with a 3D leaper and the updated software version has a black background with a white outline drawing leaper. It could be possible that the newest disc is not compatible with the old software though i can't say this for certain. If function doesn't return with the old disc you could go to a dealer and have the latest software disc installed and see if this corrects the problem. I have heard, and Jaguar says so in a service bulletin, that if the newer software is already installed in the nav module and an older software version disc is installed in the module and read into memory the module would be scrapped, once updated you can't go back. I have never seen this in the field but we are very careful not to install an old software disc, we destroy the old discs when new ones arrive but then I haven't seen a new software disc for nav units in a couple of years.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Default It Works!!

After work yesterday, I took the new disc out and then put it back in. Still nothing, just the 50 and 51 repeating. I decided to go home (and get out of the cold) and put the old disc in. Lo and behold, after about 3 miles, the screen lit up and the buttons around it did also. After a bit more time, the radio screen appeared. I pushed the Nav button and after a minute the map loaded. The small display appeared, but in celcius, not farenheit. I pulled into a parking lot and tried everything, it was all working!! The map is greatly improved and I had to reset the home location. The woman's voice is now British, and very appropriate for this car. I absolutely love her. The logo screen is the black background, previously it was the green version. Thanks Jack and Real_Tech for your suggestions and help, I guess it takes a while to load the software.

Mike

Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

Normally when the software in the nav is updating a screen comes up with a countdown bar and a message that says "WARNING!!! Do not remove disc until software update is complete", did you see this message?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Default No, blank...

No, the screen was completely blank. The only thing visible at all was in the climate control window below the screen where it would display 50 and then 51. When it came back, it was sort of in stages, first the buttons around the screen lit up (it was at night and the headlights were on..) then the screen came to life with a different looking map, then the audio screen came up. Once I pressed the nav button, it took a couple of seconds then the map screen came up. After that everything is functioning normally. Thanks again for taking the time to assist!!

Mike

Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

That is wild Mike. Something I will need to keep in mind when I update mine. I am currently running version BD and the latest one out is BH, so the changes should be immense.