S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Please car not starting

Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please car not starting

Hello to all I am new to the forum....To sart off I Have a 2001 Jaguar S-Type with 77K miles on it.Last Thurs on my way to work on the freeway my car just died like no gas going thru. SoI move to the far left and turn the car completely off and nothing just turning but not starting...I called up the our city wrecker and they got me off the freeway..he put it on the flat bed and moved the car of the nearest gas station.
He got it off the bed and said try to start it and it started..the wrecker guy told me its your fuel filterit probably was clogged up you should have itchanged...so instead of going to work I went home to try to get it taken care of...I went to my mothers house and parked the car then Iwent to the auto parts store in my moms truck andbought the fuel filter.. I jacked up the car but I could not find were the fuel filtergoes[&:]...so i brought it back down offthe jack...and try to start it and nothing....[:@]...I went down the street to a mechanic shop5 blocks down from my moms house and talked to the owner and he said bring it by I will have a look at it for you so I did...sohe finally got a chance to take a look at it today and calls me up and tells me that he cannot get his laptop to link with the gateway or to the car's cpu...he told me that I would have to leave it with one more full day so he can do a process of elimination and it would cost me $350 to $400 and that was not inclueding parts if needed...I was like ouch...So I told him that I would take the car home and think about it and come back.. Any help or suggestions please...

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Default RE: Need Help Please car not starting

The starter turns and all lights come on and all.
the other thing is that I do not hear the fuel pump buzzing...I should hear it when I flip the switch right...

Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM

yes in my STR you can always hear the fuel pump kick on when the key is switched. the fuel pump would be my guess. sounds like what happened to a friends Cherokee a couple years ago, everything worked great on his way to work then comming home it would die or not start at all. intermitten problem for weeks. I replaced his pump and problem was solved.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Around how much am I looking to spend on changeing the fuel pump labor and all?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

What if I told you the same the happened to my car??? and it had nothing to do with my filter..

I was meaning to do a short writeup on this for a while but here goes..

I have a S Type R in white.. I was on my way to work about a month ago and I clicked on sport mode because I had a 335i that was revving his engine at me so I wanted to put him in his place.. Anyways we ran from a 30 roll a few times and I pulled a couple lengths on him both times then I sped off down the road.. and just as I went to pass another car something happened.. I hit the gas, the tranny kicked down, the car lunged forward and right when it started to go everything died. The car dropped down to idle and refused to accelerate. Thinking I just blew my transmission I threw it into neutral then back to drive, but still idle RPM.. The car ran for about 7 to 10 seconds then died completely.

I pulled off and waited hours for a tow truck and brought it to my house. When I got home the first thing I did was check my fuses, my pumps, my filter, my ignition, and my TB.. (I got the car running on ether so I knew it was a fuel problem) When I went to check for fuel pressure with the blue schrader valve on the top of the intake I had nothing. I thought it was the pump so I started pulling them from the tank.. R's have two very expensive fuel pumps so I was already about to punch out one of the back windows. I pulled the passenger pump and it seemed fine (the passenger pump feeds to the driver side pump and then the driver side feeds to the front of the car) Anyways when I went to pull the driver said pump I was extremely happy to find out that both pumps were working fine and THE ONLY PROBLEM was the outlet hose connected to the bottom side of the cap for the fuel tank (located under the rear seat) had pushed itself off of its barbed fitting when it got a sudden burst of pressure to accelerate.. That hose is the only fuel feed to the engine so the only thing both pumps were doing was refilling my gas tank..

Your problem sounds almost identical.. (it wont throw a CEL or "restricted performance" warning, it will just crank, and crank, and crank some more until you have a dead battery)

Just think a possible $500 mechanics bill for a $0.15 hose clamp..

I have never in all my years of car restoration and performance work seen anything like this happen, but I have also never owned a Jag..

There are mixed opinions on how this fitting blew off, but mine is this:
They are now using nearly %10 ethanol in almost every gas station in the great USA. Our jaguars were not made to run on ethanol.. Ethanol is alcohol and alcohol eats any rubber that was not made to be used in a situation where it is submerged in alcohol. Our fuel pumps as well as all of our fuel lines have plastic and rubber fittings.. They might not be completely rotted by the ethanol, but they will definitely soften or become brittle. (If you type in a search with ethanol and Mini Coopers you can read about whats happening to their fuel pumps lol)

Good luck, Eric

Old 10-20-2008, 08:29 AM

After waiting for about a month for my extended warranty to take effect I took my car to the dealer...the dealer said it was the pumpand would be around $1000 to have it changedand the extended warranty would only cover half and I would have to pay the other half they said they had diagnosed the problem and checked fuel pressure and it was the pump...so I said no and took it to anothermechanic shop were I have mycars serviced andinspection done and said he would do it for the price that the extended warranty would cover... hechanged it out and called me and said guess what??? still nothing[&o]..its not the fuel pump beacuse it isstill not starting. Any other info that you guys can help me out with???

Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM

Help... Anybody??? Suggestions...comments..

Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The S-types have two fuel pumps in the tank. One is a feed pump and the other is the main pump. I'm still fuzzy about which is which. I believe the one on the LH side of the car is the main fuel pump to the engine, but take that with a grain of salt.

Did your mechanic do his own fuel pressure test?