S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new exhaust is done, and...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The tapping noise I mentioned? Well...

...it turns out that the metallic tapping noise I described hearing at WOT was actually caused by exhaust leaks, at the same location (between 1 and 2 feet before the x-pipe) and on both sides.

When doing this project, we decided to weld everything except at 4 locations, in order to be able to drop the portion of exhaust piping that is under the transmission (in case work had to be done there at some point).

The front two points is where the leaks were. The loud tapping I described was actually high-velocity air pulsing against the heat-shielding material. As a temporary fix, I had the kind Meineke folks further tighten the clamps (sleeves) already in place at those locations. The leak on the right side is now nonexistent, the other is still leaking slightly. Welding will be done this weekend; I figure that my worries about needing to access the transmission are unjustified at this point, considering the car still does not even have 20k miles yet.

This next piece is the part that is most important for those considering exhaust mods similar to this one: After almost eliminating these leaks, the exhaust note changed in such a way that...well..the thing sounds absolutely incredible (almost melodic) when not leaking, and the interior is amazingly quiet--even with the resonator deleted. Any concern I was having about excessive noise or drone is entirely gone. Y'all need to get up on this mod if you were previously undecided.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
...it turns out that the metallic tapping noise I described hearing at WOT was actually caused by exhaust leaks, at the same location (between 1 and 2 feet before the x-pipe) and on both sides.

When doing this project, we decided to weld everything except at 4 locations, in order to be able to drop the portion of exhaust piping that is under the transmission (in case work had to be done there at some point).

The front two points is where the leaks were. The loud tapping I described was actually high-velocity air pulsing against the heat-shielding material. As a temporary fix, I had the kind Meineke folks further tighten the clamps (sleeves) already in place at those locations. The leak on the right side is now nonexistent, the other is still leaking slightly. Welding will be done this weekend; I figure that my worries about needing to access the transmission are unjustified at this point, considering the car still does not even have 20k miles yet.

This next piece is the part that is most important for those considering exhaust mods similar to this one: After almost eliminating these leaks, the exhaust note changed in such a way that...well..the thing sounds absolutely incredible (almost melodic) when not leaking, and the interior is amazingly quiet--even with the resonator deleted. Any concern I was having about excessive noise or drone is entirely gone. Y'all need to get up on this mod if you were previously undecided.
..Congrats! Did you take any pics? I'm really curious to see how you put your Hi flow cats on, considering you didnt install angled Hi Flow CATS like I put on mine.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed my last opportunity to take photos...this time I will make sure to get some in detail. Should have them by Sunday

Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
I missed my last opportunity to take photos...this time I will make sure to get some in detail. Should have them by Sunday
...NO problem, here are some sample pics of my Hi Flow cats I got on, and hopefully this week I'm getting my Magnaflow exhaust and tips put on also.
I'll take some pics once I get the Mags and 4"tips on.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=43505

Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
...NO problem, here are some sample pics of my Hi Flow cats I got on, and hopefully this week I'm getting my Magnaflow exhaust and tips put on also.
I'll take some pics once I get the Mags and 4"tips on.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=43505
Hey Jag79 do you happen to remember the part# for those cats?? Those are the one I'm thinking of going with.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
Hey Jag79 do you happen to remember the part# for those cats?? Those are the one I'm thinking of going with.
Part number of the Magnaflow HI flow CATS I used with the Angular curve at the outlet Part#54975; bought from WholesaleMagnaflow for $86 a piece free shipping
**Just make sure you have the correct size inlet and outlet for the CATs. I stayed all the way with the stock pipping size at 2.25" not 2.5". If you want the 2.5" just contact wholesalemagnaflow.com for the right part#.

Cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 10-18-2010 at 07:40 PM.