Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New nozzles change fill up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New nozzles change fill up?

Hi, Dan here.

New to the forum, and I apologize if someone already brought this up as I did not read through all 6 pages. Good start I guess.

I have a similar problem, my fuel guage did not return to full after filling my 03 STR. This is only my second stop to the gas station after buying the car. The first time I filled it up with about 10 gallons to full, because I was planning a long drive. After this fill, the guage returned all the way to FULL.

Second fill up was today. Same gas station, different number pump. I filled with 15.8 to full, and I even squeezed a little more in. Anyway, I got back in the car, and the guage did not turn all the way back to full. Instead, it indicated just over 3/4. No bueno. Also, I checked the range, and it said 254 miles. The previous fill up with FULL gauge indication read 312.

I did two things in between these fill ups. First, I returned the car to the dealer, and he had it smogged for me. He took the car, had it smogged, and returned it. I was blessed to drive a Hyundai Santa Fe as loaner, made me appreciate the JAG. I also messed with the A/B trip modes, reset B to make sure no one abused my car while it was gone. Switched back to A and left it. When I got the car back, I went straight to the gas station, filled with 15.8 to full, and the gauge read 3/4. The range read 254.

?????

The different nozzles question has to do with the fact that in Ohio, where I previously moved from, the nozzles are different. They did not have the big giant "vapor trapping" nozzles that California has. SOOO... will different size nozzles change the fill up.

Also, since the cars have dual gas tanks, would a slight difference in ground angle change the fill up? <<< Do to how the tanks are connected.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

This might be a very totally off the wall question but when filling, you turned the car off right? Or did you leave it running?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

I have a 2005 so maybe it's different but I eventually had the fuel tank senders replaced in mine because they went screwy and were not indicating properly. I still have a lot of troubling getting it full at times depending on the station and we're not supposed to pump our own gas in NJ by law.

Then there's 3-4 gallons that are left in the tank when it's empty supposedly to keep the pumps from getting too hot? It's a screwy setup. Expect trouble in this department at some time during your ownership.

Go do some searching on this topic there are decent threads about all of this stuff out there.

The biggest mystery to me is the mileage some folks report with this car. Mine is a lot worse. I really have to work to break 21 mpg on the hi-way. Around town it's just abysmal "reaching" 11mpg most times.

Originally Posted by Olsic03STR
Hi, Dan here.

New to the forum, and I apologize if someone already brought this up as I did not read through all 6 pages. Good start I guess.

I have a similar problem, my fuel guage did not return to full after filling my 03 STR. This is only my second stop to the gas station after buying the car. The first time I filled it up with about 10 gallons to full, because I was planning a long drive. After this fill, the guage returned all the way to FULL.

Second fill up was today. Same gas station, different number pump. I filled with 15.8 to full, and I even squeezed a little more in. Anyway, I got back in the car, and the guage did not turn all the way back to full. Instead, it indicated just over 3/4. No bueno. Also, I checked the range, and it said 254 miles. The previous fill up with FULL gauge indication read 312.

I did two things in between these fill ups. First, I returned the car to the dealer, and he had it smogged for me. He took the car, had it smogged, and returned it. I was blessed to drive a Hyundai Santa Fe as loaner, made me appreciate the JAG. I also messed with the A/B trip modes, reset B to make sure no one abused my car while it was gone. Switched back to A and left it. When I got the car back, I went straight to the gas station, filled with 15.8 to full, and the gauge read 3/4. The range read 254.

?????

The different nozzles question has to do with the fact that in Ohio, where I previously moved from, the nozzles are different. They did not have the big giant "vapor trapping" nozzles that California has. SOOO... will different size nozzles change the fill up.

Also, since the cars have dual gas tanks, would a slight difference in ground angle change the fill up? <<< Do to how the tanks are connected.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Try a different gas station or at least a different pump. Some automatic shutoffs are more sensitive than others. There's one pump at our local Shell station that doesn't like the Jag but works fine on all the other cars.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Default figured it out.. but weird

OK, so when i filled up, I had just recently reset the 'trip'. My average MPG was roughly 16. When I filled up, it only indicated about 7/8 full, and my range was lower. When I got on the highway and was averaging about 22 MPG, the range slowly started to rise, as well as the indicator. Really weird.

Are anyone else's indicator and range dependent on messing with 'trip' A & B???

...anyway, as long as it runs like it does, I could give a crap less about some slight malfunction with the electronics.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There's no malfunction of the electronics- they're being confused by 'excessive operator input'. Stop pushing the resets so that the averages will become true averages.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM

The car is new to me. I used the reset so I could find MY averages.

I understand the range, but why would doing this change the indicator? If the tank is full... it is full.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

are you saying the fuel gauge went to full when you were on the freeway ?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Yep.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Sticking float sensor and the sloshing freed it?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts

The instrument pack software is such that ti does not give instant level readings. Otherwise as you go around turns etc youde see the sloshing on the guage. This used to be control by a slosh module on older jags. Someimtes a key cycle will make the differance on how fast it shows full. Many times mine goes right to full a min after starting and leaving. Other times it takes 5 or so minutes. The range is based on your current avg mpg. As you drive, esp on freeway your range goes up as its calcualting a new mpg avg.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Olsic03STR (02-17-2012), StypeRowner (02-20-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
The instrument pack software is such that ti does not give instant level readings. Otherwise as you go around turns etc youde see the sloshing on the guage. This used to be control by a slosh module on older jags. Someimtes a key cycle will make the differance on how fast it shows full. Many times mine goes right to full a min after starting and leaving. Other times it takes 5 or so minutes. The range is based on your current avg mpg. As you drive, esp on freeway your range goes up as its calcualting a new mpg avg.

Bingo, this is what I figured had to happen.