S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S Type owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

If it does have a factory leather wrapped wheel like the STR it probably is a sport model, especially with the gray trim. I guess Jaguar thought that it looks sportier than wood trim. Not much wood left on the later XF either. Of course a dealer could tell you with the vin number what it is.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:01 PM

As far as the 3 for the seventh digit goes, it was on a 2003 that I was looking at that had it, maybe it's different for 2005.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

My sport does not have CATS fitted and when I use the 18 inch rims (winter tyres) I feel every change in the road surface be it the slightest on the road.
I also have 17 rims for the summer tires and the car is a lot more smoother.

I also found when I needed to replace the front shocks that there was a harder ones fitted to the Sports.

If you get in touch with Jaguar Heritage they will be able to tell you exactly what variant you have or you can have car checked through the SDD/IDS program as that will show the original configuration of your car from the factory.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Or most of it is on
FordEtis home page
if you use the VIN

Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, it's official, my S Type is a Sport Model according to 'FordEtis'.

So in order to soften the ride, I have to find out what "With Performance Suspension" really means. Can I just replace the shocks, or do I have to replace both Springs and Shocks ??

By doing one or the other or both, will I change the dynamics of the car? In other words, will this [change] affect the handling safety of the car?

For those who know....

Cheers

Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM

You would just have to replace the shocks but it would be quite expensive. I would just give yourself time to get used to the suspension and enjoy its handling.
what size wheels do you have fitted at the moment because I find the ride is a lot harder when I have the 18 inch rims on mine. When I use 17 inch rims then I have a lot smoother ride.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:40 PM

Ducmon;
I've got the 18in wheels and here in Florida, we don't have to worry about snow, so can't justify buying a second set of wheels with snow tires, so will just make do and as you said--"give myself some time" and I may grow to like the firmer ride......thanks.

While in Germany in the 70's, I had two sets for my BMW CS coupe. Second set had the ice spikes. Nice having two sets.....

Cheers

Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM

For a softer ride you can use less air pressure in the tires. Unless you are carrying a lot of people or heavy loads you can go down to 26 lbs in the front and 28 lbs in the rear. The handling won't be as good and you should keep the speed down, but that is what they recommend for the softest ride.

The following users liked this post:
Chuck Schexnayder (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Chuck -

May I suggest you go to the following online Jaguar dealership, put in your car's details (e.g. is it a 3.0L or 4.2L Sport?) and then follow the links for front and rear suspension components. You can click on the images to go to the description and price list for the component.

You'll see which of your front suspension components have a "sport" version. Although I don't know all your car's particular's, I did a brief search at this site on both the 2005 3.0L and 4.2L Sports S-Type, and it looks like springs & shocks come in both sport and standard aka "comfort" varieties. All other suspension components, even the anti-roll bars and bushings, seem to be shared within engine size, except the 4.2L supercharged.

If you need more help, you can always call them, as this is a real Jag dealer parts department in South Carolina. They've been extremely helpful to me on several occasions.

Here's the site. Hope it helps.

https://oemdiscountcarparts.com/part...?siteid=218637

The following users liked this post:
Chuck Schexnayder (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:24 PM

My XK8 convert also has "Performance Suspension" and although firm, the ride is not as smooth as the XJ8 I had, but it still is not bad.

Comparing the XK8 to the S-Type, (both with PS) the S-Type is much more choppy, so there is definitly something that needs attention and I'm leaning towards the rear suspension.

It may just be the shocks, but other issues as well. Will post as I go along in the research.

Thanks to all for your help so far...

Cheers

Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I think you'll notice considerable ride improvement if you change out shocks and springs from the sports to the standard "comfort" variety.

Also, you've got over 100,000 miles on the car so you might need control arm bushings, and your strut bushings may be shot too. The strut bushings can be replaced on these cars without the expense of replacing the entire, still functioning strut. All three of my S-Types needed front & rear control arm bushings at around 100 K.

I knew the rears were bad because they would squeak when the car bounced. However, I did not realize that what seemed like the front suspension "slamming" into very minor potholes was actually a symptom of worn strut and control arm bushings until I had them all replaced, along with fresh Bilstein struts. What a difference in the ride, handling and interior noise of the car!

It was worth the expense, but I'm so grateful I have a good relationship with an excellent indie mechanic, as I'd have had to sell one of my children to pay a dealership to do all that work LOL.

I think someone mentioned earlier the shorter wheelbase on the S type will also contribute to a choppier ride than what you might be used to. Not much you can do about that. Hope the rest of this has been some help.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Jumpin' Jag Flash;

Been looking at an e-bay ad for a rear end kit for 1299.00. It includes all control arms, ball joints, sway bar links, rear stabilizer rod ***. etc.

Not sure of the price. What do you think?

Cheers

Old 04-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Look at the price of each component. You probably don't need all of them. Get the car up in the air and have a look.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ducmon
Look at the price of each component. You probably don't need all of them. Get the car up in the air and have a look.
+1
Also, they're probably not high quality. I made the mistake of buying off-brand vertical links from eBay for my '01 SType. One of the ball joints went bad quickly, which caused tire damage. Seller agreed to refund my $$ if I could return the defective part (which I could not), but the cost of new tires was on me. What a nightmare!

Now, I only buy Lemfoerder brand suspension parts if they're available. Yes, more expensive, but they're OEM quality and worth every penny. Any brand other than Lemfoerder and Jaguar is a roll of the dice IMHO.

Bushings, stick with name brands too, including Jaguar.

But as Ducmon says, find out what you need first, and don't replace what you don't have to.