S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S-Type owner (second time) and need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

AH,

When you say "quit trying to lock it lest you end up with a door that is locked and will not unlock" assume that you are talking about using the "lock" button on the key fob?

Manually sticking the key in the door and locking only the drivers door seems a pretty foolproof method of locking/unlocking that single door, or does it jam as well.

Thx,

Joe

Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I suggest getting to the point of your issue in the title . . . I can only speak for myself, though I'd be surprised if I'm an outlier on this; I come to JF's daily, if not more so, scan the titles of unread messages in the X300 and S-Type sections, and open the ones that interest me. If I think I can be of help, I reply. Others, that don't meet that mark, have to wait . . .
+1+1+1+1+1. Took the words right outa ma mouth . . . Zane's comments should be writ large, and nailed as Sticky to the head of every forum . . . and I offer no critique of our OP here . . . but the message needs emphasizing.

ALL members should be encouraged to research by learning to use the search tools; then ask pertinent questions . . . either as a post under one of the still active threads now unearthed, or by starting a new thread framed under a concise but meaningful title.

Not a case of us being bitchy . . . indeed one of the endearing things about JF is the friendliness, humour and generous sharing of knowledge that is a hallmark here. It is however, good commonsense. I'd rather respond to a title like "Can I R&R '65 Mk2 engine mounts in situ?" or "How to adjust front camber on MY06 S-Type" because I know the answers and the procedures . . . and I might even have the pics and teeshirt! By comparison, a title like "Is this car a bargain?" or "Not sure where to start" just fall off the table until after more pressing matters. That said, none of us ignore a plea of "Novice. Please help. I think I just broke my Jaguar".

At last count and spanning the past 50 years, we figure to have owned and maintained about 40 Jaguars (saloons, GTs, sportscars, 2 race cars and a blown Jag V12 unlimited hydro) and have twirled the spanners on many, many more. Currently down to 6 Jags in my shed, but across the field, that's a lot of experience to share . . . so my interests here, and the help I can offer, spans many of the forums here as well as other Jaguar international sites. Sometimes. we even get a "Thanks" . . .

Cheers,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
aholbro1 (08-29-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeaksa
AH,

When you say "quit trying to lock it lest you end up with a door that is locked and will not unlock" assume that you are talking about using the "lock" button on the key fob?
Joe,
I don't believe you've yet revealed which actuator is expressing the fault? If it is the driver's door, then yeah, I think you are fine locking/unlocking with the key. Take care to continue doing that from time to time after you mend it as they are particularly prone to freeze-up and won't even let your key all the way in after they fall into months of disuse.

If it is the more common left rear (or really any door without key-access - I can't currently remember if the passenger front has a keyhole) door; my advice would be to go ahead and remove the door-card, the interior trim panel now, and leave it off until you get 'round to mending the actuator issue. I believe that link I posted earlier has a link within it to Grant's issue, which has befallen others, as well, but I recall his post most vividly. The problem is the actuator may ultimately fail in the "locked" position and the button on the door won't undo it...so you have to figure out how to get at all the workings with the door shut and locked. Possible, apparently, but a needless complication if you have identified the problem child and just need a bit of time to mend it (awaiting parts or whatever) yet still need to use the car and in an environment where you need to secure it. Pull the door-card.

Edit: Just remembered....if you have driveaway locking enabled, as most do from new car setup....it will defeat your best efforts to "not lock" an offending door, making it even more imperative to get the trim out of your way post-haste....before it locks the door in place, unexpectedly.

Last edited by aholbro1; 08-29-2017 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Norri (08-29-2017)
Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok everyone, I hate to bring back an old post but its time.

Sorry for the delay, work has kept me away from anything but... work.

I finally got some time to fiddle with the locking system and am just as confused as I was in the beginning. When I press the "door lock" button on the console absolutely nothing happens. Not one of the door lock buttons on the doors move.

Then when I take off and start driving there are times I hear something trying to cycle back and forth and am assuming that this is the door lock system trying to lock the doors but again, nothing moves.

I was under the impression that I needed to push the "door lock" button on the console and the one door lock button that did not move was the defective unit. The actual button does work as if I hold it in for a long time all the windows open...

Thx, Joe

Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I can tell one of my door lock actuators isn't working because it only unlocks it will not lock other than by manually pressing the inside lock button and then locking the rest using the key on the drivers door lock. I can tell easily just by observation. It's not a huge stretch for me to lock it manually by putting my arm behind the front passenger seat.

​​There's a great recent thread I saw about repairing a bust actuator and it's a long read. But the info is on here.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Was it this one, Busa:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/rear-door-lock-actuator-fix-w-pics-faq-65657/

Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Was it this one, Busa:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/rear-door-lock-actuator-fix-w-pics-faq-65657/
That is the one and I admire your tenacity with that job. The thread will be very useful.