S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S-Type owner (second time) and need help

Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New S-Type owner (second time) and need help

Sold my 2000 S-Type 6-7 years ago and really missed it...

Just picked up a 2005 3.0 S-Type from a gent who had owned the car for 8 years and was only the second owner. He is a rocket scientist (really) and not very mechanical with things...

My reason for the post is that he said that one of the door lock actuators is bad and thats why we cannot lock the doors with the key fob.

How do I tell which actuator is the bad one? Have found the threads about replacing the puppy and can do that but do not want to pull all four doors apart to find the bad one.

Also if the electric locking system is not working is there any reason why I cannot lock the doors manually then come back to the car and open the drivers door with the key manually?

Next is that evidently the actuator for the trunk is also bad. When I try to manually open the trunk you can hear it strain to do something and I just push the button myself and it opens fine. Is this in any way related to the door lock actuator?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2017, 12:30 AM

Well no replies so tried some tricks on my own. Manually locking each door then doing the drivers door with the key worked fine. At least now I can secure the car.

Other suggestions?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

While sitting in vehicle, push the door lock button on dash. Watch each chrome lock lever. One of them will lock them unlock immediately. That is the faulty lock actuator. The most common on these cars is the left rear or right front. There are diys in the "how to" section for the front or rear replacement.

The trunk actuator is separate from door locks.

The following users liked this post:
Joeaksa (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeaksa
Well no replies so tried some tricks on my own.
Other suggestions?
Yeah..... this isn't really the fastest place for a quick answer if that's what you are looking for, but then again the majority of us do have jobs and other committments to attend to as well.
However, you may also have noticed that your first few posts will not appear straight away either.
That's because they are vetted for content by the mods on the site, and then posted on your account.
As your post count increases along with your activity on the site, your posts will appear more quickly.
Patience is a virtue.

Joeaksa (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevep10
Yeah..... this isn't really the fastest place for a quick answer if that's what you are looking for
I am not too sure about that. I belong to a number of different forums and JF is the fastest with help hands down.

There are several of us here on the S Type board that reply quickly and efficiently! Most questions posted now a day's can be easily answered by doing an advanced search. These vehicles have quite the common failures in common.

In the "How To" guide there are many, many topics that have been answered, many with pics and or videos. The OPs question about lock actuators (again) have been covered several times in the How To guides. Just sayin'..

Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Rick's exactly right. There is precious little to be known that isn't already available here, if one searches for it.

As a handy tip for those who think the response time is too slow, I suggest getting to the point of your issue in the title. Joeaksa, no offense intended, but your title simply doesn't scream, "New guy joined in July and only has a few posts" rather, as a self-confessed former S-Type owner, I assumed you were familiar with all of the information available here, which includes how to diagnose which door lock is being hissy.

I can only speak for myself, though I'd be surprised if I'm an outlier on this; I come to JF's daily, if not moreso, scan the titles of unread messages in the X300 and S-Type sections, and open the ones that interest me. If I think I can be of help, I reply. Others, that don't meet that mark, have to wait for me to have a Dr's appt, or really boring meeting, or otherwise down-time with an electronic device in-hand and nothing to do, but catch-up on unread posts. I'll admit, occasionally, I miss a gem for several weeks like this, but it has really never hindered me from finding the info when I have an acute need. As stated earlier, "Search is your good friend."

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
cat_as_trophy (08-29-2017), joycesjag (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

For me, orig posted 01:23am, moan posted 06:30am.

On a Sunday.

For some I suppose that was Sat evening but don't people go out...

Old 08-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Unfortunately some people (youngsters) think a forum is like facebook, where there are instant responses: usually sh!!!te but lots and quickly?

Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 AM

When I was a new member on here, it seemed like it took a couple of days for my post to appear due to vetting first. Plus one of my posts didn't appear at all, and I know that was days after checking.
But I'm happy with the way things are now. Nice and quick.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:17 AM

But we are digressing now, the problem can be sorted as per JoycesJag post above

Old 08-27-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
While sitting in vehicle, push the door lock button on dash. Watch each chrome lock lever. One of them will lock them unlock immediately. That is the faulty lock actuator. The most common on these cars is the left rear or right front. There are diys in the "how to" section for the front or rear replacement.

The trunk actuator is separate from door locks.
Bingo, just what I needed!

Thanks much!

Old 08-27-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevep10
Yeah..... this isn't really the fastest place for a quick answer if that's what you are looking for, but then again the majority of us do have jobs and other committments to attend to as well.
However, you may also have noticed that your first few posts will not appear straight away either.
That's because they are vetted for content by the mods on the site, and then posted on your account.
As your post count increases along with your activity on the site, your posts will appear more quickly.
Patience is a virtue.
Thanks and I run several bulletin boards so know the drill...

One would think that after 20 posts or so the mods would realize that I am not a spammer but guess not. Maybe someday Dr.Gregory, CadJag, Doug in Seattle or Mark Scotton will vouch for me!

Oh and I am only 64 so glad to be called a youngster!

Joe

Old 08-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Rick's exactly right. There is precious little to be known that isn't already available here, if one searches for it.

As a handy tip for those who think the response time is too slow, I suggest getting to the point of your issue in the title. Joeaksa, no offense intended, but your title simply doesn't scream, "New guy joined in July and only has a few posts" rather, as a self-confessed former S-Type owner, I assumed you were familiar with all of the information available here, which includes how to diagnose which door lock is being hissy.

I can only speak for myself, though I'd be surprised if I'm an outlier on this; I come to JF's daily, if not moreso, scan the titles of unread messages in the X300 and S-Type sections, and open the ones that interest me. If I think I can be of help, I reply. Others, that don't meet that mark, have to wait for me to have a Dr's appt, or really boring meeting, or otherwise down-time with an electronic device in-hand and nothing to do, but catch-up on unread posts. I'll admit, occasionally, I miss a gem for several weeks like this, but it has really never hindered me from finding the info when I have an acute need. As stated earlier, "Search is your good friend."
Sorry but "if I were familiar with all of the information available here, which includes how to diagnose which door lock is being hissy." then I probably would not be asking the question! I am a fairly good mechanic as I am qualified to work on airplanes, and have worked on Jaguars (currently only have 3 in the stable) for 40+ years but am still learning.

Thanks to Joyce I am making progress!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's worth getting used to Search. Try obvious words and bingo you get the answer.

cat_as_trophy (08-29-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

As another Joe I am happy to stand corrected, I have a wife and teach students who if she/they don't get an answer on Facebook in 3 mins are ready to delete their contacts at times.
I don't use it but seems I have fallen in to the stereotype trap. my apologies

Nice to have another 60+ youngster on board-- welcome

Old 08-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

I am a fairly good mechanic as I am qualified to work on airplanes
Oh goodness, watch out everybody, they're the worst!

(I've been an A&P so long, my license was signed by the Wright brothers.)

If you need a quicker online response, just post some wrong information. That will get the keyboards on fire...

Old 08-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

There is no vetting except some auto vetting that the forum software does when it detects certain triggers, what those are is a mystery.
Speed of response on a Saturday evening is subject to many variables I expect.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:45 PM

Joe and KR,

Thanks much!! Am not that bad but thought that someone would chime in after several hours. I did forget that much of the nation was watching two guys beat each other up on the TV last night (I was watching the Formula One quali) so understandable.

KR I finally took the plunge and got my IA 5-6 years ago so now I am really dangerous! Plus I fiddle with "dope and fabric" (read antique 1930's and 1940's) airplanes on the weekend!

Norri, thanks and if you do not mind will message you. Just noticed that you are PHX area "some of the time!" and thats where I am most of the time!

Thx, Joe

Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

I did forget that much of the nation was watching two guys beat each other up on the TV last night
Don't know anything about the quoted text above. I was busy revelling in the victories that my 12 year old daughter pitched 3 no hitter softball tournament yesterday! Yes, our team brought home the BIG trophy!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by joycesjag:
aholbro1 (09-01-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-29-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Rick, congrats on your daughter's championship!

Here's all you need to know about the fight: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...2/#post1748846'

Sorry but "if I were familiar with all of the information available here, which includes how to diagnose which door lock is being hissy." then I probably would not be asking the question!
Thanks to Joyce I am making progress!
Joeaksa, that was exactly my point about thread titles. Remember, when people scan the posts here, the ONLY information given about the content of the thread is what the originator puts in the title. In this case, I see a handle I don't recognize, but is admittedly on his/her second S-Type and needs help. "Help" is a wide-ranging topic, full of sinkholes and pitfalls....I'll continue scanning to see if there is someone needing information about a topic I know....and anyway, originator is on his/her second S-Type, so bound to know everything that is available here on the board, already.

Now, once I clicked on your thread, (mid morning, today) I see that even though you are an old-hand at Jags, you are relatively new to the forum and obviously stumped by the resistance to locking that your 2005 is putting up. Had your title made me aware of that issue, I'd have swooped in last night when I first saw your thread (but didn't click on it due to disinterest brought on by the vague title) and suggested, "I know Rick explained that in here somewhere, do an advanced search on posts by "JoycesJag" containing key word "Lock actuator" and in the meantime quit trying to lock it lest you end up with a door that is locked and won't unlock, thus needlessly complicating the actuator renewal process!"
You would then have found this gem in the top five returns: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-here-179667/

joycesjag (08-29-2017)

Search this Thread