Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ole' coolant leak under the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
The only thing is that you still have to have rubber hose at each end and one end is larger.

I haven't seen if there's a common spot for failure. Is it always at that short end where it gets bigger?

Dexcool - ugh. I put it back in when I changed mine last year but I have none in my GM Suburban and that did have a failure due to corrosion but I hadn't heard about it attacking hoses. More urban legend or what?
The hose at the thermostat end would still be larger, but on a custom fabrication you can use the hose of your choice, including silicone. The ultimate choice would be to make the interface at the thermostat end hose free with the use of the proper fitting. The real point of the copper tubing is that it can be formed without having to convince someone to do a production run. All you have to do is use the old hose as a pattern. Any refrigeration mechanic can do it in a jiffy.

As far as Dexcool and EPDM, it is at least "informed comment" in one article where the author is a chemist by trade who also happens to be a car freak. He goes through the formulation and the logic of the chemical reaction in quite a bit of detail.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

This is getting ridiculous. He went to Jaguar today to speak with the tech about the exact parts that needed to be ordered and what is recommended to be replaced with the blower off. We are now up to a grand total of $1600 and I'm pissed.

Hose, EGR valve, all gaskets, thermostat, Jag coolant, new bolts etc etc.

He also tried to get 2 bushings for the 2 lower, front control arms but of course they only sell the arms themselves at the very reasonable price of ~$600/each. Wow. I told him NOT to touch those. Can you get the bushings seperate or do you need to buy the whole freaking thing?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Bull27, you can procure low mileage lower control arms for mucho-less at Coventry West (Atlanta, Ga.).

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Something is wrong here. Cool off period needed.

Does that include the labor or is that just the parts?

Originally Posted by Bull27
This is getting ridiculous. He went to Jaguar today to speak with the tech about the exact parts that needed to be ordered and what is recommended to be replaced with the blower off. We are now up to a grand total of $1600 and I'm pissed.

Hose, EGR valve, all gaskets, thermostat, Jag coolant, new bolts etc etc.

He also tried to get 2 bushings for the 2 lower, front control arms but of course they only sell the arms themselves at the very reasonable price of ~$600/each. Wow. I told him NOT to touch those. Can you get the bushings seperate or do you need to buy the whole freaking thing?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Copper cracks and if you don't get the piece in there with zero interference you're in for a world of hurt. I'm not looking at the actual parts etc. so it really depends. I have used partial copper tubing on my twin turbo car but I was able to ensure that there was no stress or mechanical interference.

Originally Posted by plums
The hose at the thermostat end would still be larger, but on a custom fabrication you can use the hose of your choice, including silicone. The ultimate choice would be to make the interface at the thermostat end hose free with the use of the proper fitting. The real point of the copper tubing is that it can be formed without having to convince someone to do a production run. All you have to do is use the old hose as a pattern. Any refrigeration mechanic can do it in a jiffy.

As far as Dexcool and EPDM, it is at least "informed comment" in one article where the author is a chemist by trade who also happens to be a car freak. He goes through the formulation and the logic of the chemical reaction in quite a bit of detail.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Copper cracks and if you don't get the piece in there with zero interference you're in for a world of hurt. I'm not looking at the actual parts etc. so it really depends. I have used partial copper tubing on my twin turbo car but I was able to ensure that there was no stress or mechanical interference.
Well, doing it right is a given when someone contemplates a change in materials. Anyways, hoses rupture as in the case at hand. And reefers run for long periods without problems with the copper lines.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Bull27 (09-01-2011), Staatsof (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Is that link a sticky or in a sticky on this forum?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Something is wrong here. Cool off period needed.

Does that include the labor or is that just the parts?
Both, I will get the itemization and surely post here.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I paid $1165 for the hose under the blower to get replaced from a local independent. So, $1600 doesnt sound too far off from the dealer.

I work on cars a decent amount and I wouldn't want to have to tackle the repair. I've tried and failed. There are some hoses at the back of the engine compartment that are an absolute pain. The s type r is the most difficult of all the jag vehicles to do this repair on according to the techs i talked to. They hate doing the repair but have to.... They have one designated guy with small hands that does it. Yes, it's that bad.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

That's really unfortunate to hear.
Maybe she ain't gonna be a keeper after all.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 6,255 Likes on 5,455 Posts

Is that link a sticky or in a sticky on this forum?
It's a sticky in the UK forum, it might be a bit cheeky to steal it, but you can always visit there.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Cheeky be OK here as long as it's for a good cause and this is.

We don't stand on ceremony all that much in the USA.

As Joe Friday (Dragnet) used to say "Just the facts ma'am".

Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I hope/expect the UK forum would be fine if we made a FAQ that pointed to theirs. They may pick up some extra members (it's a good forum, though I marginally prefer this one). I don't think we should steal the thread as-is.

If there are local (USA/Cdn/...) suppliers for the various parts at good prices, it would be useful to have a FAQ here with details.

(Basically, think would this site be happy if another stole its data - I reckon not - but a link to our FAQ? Sure, at least I can't see why not.)

Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I hope/expect the UK forum would be fine if we made a FAQ that pointed to theirs. They may pick up some extra members (it's a good forum, though I marginally prefer this one). I don't think we should steal the thread as-is.

If there are local (USA/Cdn/...) suppliers for the various parts at good prices, it would be useful to have a FAQ here with details.

(Basically, think would this site be happy if another stole its data - I reckon not - but a link to our FAQ? Sure, at least I can't see why not.)
All sites want as many inbound links as possible. So, a link to that site would be welcomed.

However, copying content verbatim is considered a no-no and can cause the copying site or its service provider to receive a DMCA(Digital Millenium Copyright Act) takedown notice. A US based service provider *must* act on any valid takedown notice.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 PM

That should be a sticky or I will just start another thread with the same info and then you can make it a sticky. Very helpful info. However some US distributors would help immensely.

I stopped by the shop today at about 530PM because I had a softball game and all my equipment was in the Jag's trunk. There was three of them still working on it, a big itemized bill from Jag, and I'm sure they probably regret taking on the job given all the work involved.

I am sickened. She is so filthy, in need of a a professional detail, front bumper spray and all I can think about is this gigantic bill staring me in the face for a freaking hose failure. Whats up recall, TSB??????

Last edited by Bull27; 09-03-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I feel the same way Bull27. Mine has been leaking for some time and will face your consequence this winter when the work is to be performed at my inde Jag mechanic. This matter should have been a Jag TSB...but because it doesn't imply a personal injury could occur....

Old 09-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Even just a greatly reduce charge for the service would help out.

Don't hold your breath guys.

Is this just an STR issue or is it the same on all the "R" types that use that exact engine?

To that end, has anyone looked at this in the XJR or XKR sections?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Old 09-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

So the EGR valve was bad as well? That certainly didn't help the situation. What was the deal with that?

The coolant price is a total rip off.

Honestly, Jaguar should at least be supplying the parts at cost.

BTW, I don't think that the Jag extended warranty or any others for that matter would have covered this because it's a hose.

So even if you do the job yourself your in for a beating.

Quick Reply: The ole' coolant leak under the supercharger