S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One last question, and I'll shut up for a week. I swear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default One last question, and I'll shut up for a week. I swear.

Was looking through some of the threads on changing out the climate control unit, as I feel I probably have that repair in my future, and I was looking at the pictures of how to get the console out.

I have an armrest on a slider (2003 model with manual transmission). When you lift up on a small chrome piece on its front, it slides back and forth. When it does this, it does not reveal a cupholder, but rather a small, square faux-suede covered storage compartment. Looking at this contraption from all sides, it seems it would not only would the top part (the armrest) slide forward and backward, but also tilt back towards the back seat to reveal another storage compartment.

However, mine does not seem to want to tilt willingly. I'm scared to put too much force to it and risk breaking it. So is this thing designed to tilt or not? Or does it just slide forward and backward?

Thanks,
Jess

Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Handbook, read all Center Console entries.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Handbook, read all Center Console entries.
Don't have a set with this car (considering all the other stuff that is missing, is anyone surprised? ), although I do have a set coming off eBay.

Tried to access the online version, but it keeps crashing my browser.

Can anyone help me out in the meantime?

Thanks,
Jess

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member

Why not just wait for them to arrive. Or get a better browser.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 AM

Why not just wait for them to arrive. Or get a better browser.
Well, I have IE8, which won't open them. And I have the latest issue of Firefox, which is the one that keeps crashing. It's not like I'm running Windows 3.1.

Books don't get here for another 3-4 days.

I frankly don't see the problem with asking questions for help. So what if it's already been asked before? The search feature is great, but it's a helluva lot faster just to ask exactly what you need and get an answer from a helpful person than it is to scour 35 threads in hopes that what you ask MIGHT get answered at some point in the thread.

Jess

Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JessN16
I frankly don't see the problem with asking questions for help. So what if it's already been asked before? The search feature is great, but it's a helluva lot faster just to ask exactly what you need and get an answer from a helpful person than it is to scour 35 threads in hopes that what you ask MIGHT get answered at some point in the thread.

Jess
It depends how much time you think unpaid volunteers will put in to help someone who doesn't appear willing to put in their own time.

I'm done.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  19.3 KB

Jess, no one has any issues with you asking questions, trying to get answers, its all part of the forum, but consider for a moment what Jagv8(a knowledgable and experienced member) is saying.
All / any of the people who have answers to your questions have scoured the threads, tried n failed on their own to sort their issues, checked the internet, asked the dealer etc etc to resolve whatever particualr problem they have.
We are more than happy to help as one enthusiast to another, but, you have to be willing to help yourself!

In reply to your handbook download question - which I've already checked for you twice and answered you twice.
The link does work - I'm using IE8 and it works for me. I even printed off a page just to see, no problem.
I replied in the handbook download thread outlining the procedure to try....sorry, I can do no more

Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

It works for me too (firefox). If it's so urgent to mess with the centre console rather than wait 3-4 days, download at a friend's or internet cafe etc.

There are people here with parking brake fault, restricted performance and the like. Those matter a lot more IMO.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely when some one is asking for help it would be at the very least polite to offer that help, if not why answer his post. i have posted very little on this Forum for fear of rude replies. I look at it often and i find it very sad that some Jaguar owners have to be so rude to their fellows, who post in good faith.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I posted where to find the info. Read the replies.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Speaking as an ex-trainer in the electronics business, when one is very new to something, what seems so easy to other more experienced people, CAN seem terribly daunting to the learner. One needs an "infrastructure" in electronics to understand some of the concepts a rung or two up the learning ladder. It's a progressive, evolving situation. The same ethos applies in other fields such as cars, which are multi-disciplinary. Professional teachers know this and make allowances. Professional teachers also need much patience! That's right, good old-fashioned patience, the same kind one needs for driving these cars of ours in real traffic and with real bad drivers around!
Leedsman.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM

It works for me too (firefox). If it's so urgent to mess with the centre console rather than wait 3-4 days, download at a friend's or internet cafe etc.

There are people here with parking brake fault, restricted performance and the like. Those matter a lot more IMO.
Well, I'm not posting in someone's parking brake fault, restricted performance or like threads, am I? I posted my own thread about a center console and I guess people who know the answer can feel free either to answer it or ignore, correct?

I know you probably won't care about this, but for the last 8 years I've been a member of another car forum for my family's other cars, and I've got about as many posts over there as you do here and I frequently help answer noob questions in the tech forum. I figure it engenders a lot more goodwill to give an answer rather than tell someone how lazy/stupid/etc. you think they are. In time, they will come to be comfortable with the way the board operates, and where certain information is stored, but if they're new, they'd rather be able to ask what time it is and get the actual time, rather than the instructions on how to build a watch.

In closing, someone else mentioned it later in the thread: Over here (I notice you're in the UK), the stereotype of a Jag owner is frequently either one of an elitist snob, or one of a "checkbook mechanic," meaning someone whose answer for everything is a trip to the dealer and a blank check. I would hope, when I represent the marque to others, that I do not come across as either. It would dishonor the way my father and I both grew up loving these unique cars.

FWIW, I did try to do things your way first, specifically trying to access the manuals, and was vexed by some kind of browser error. But that doesn't mean I owe you an apology -- or request for permission -- before I pose a public question.

Jess

Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 37

Ok guys, lets keep it friendly, this forum is known for that approach first and foremost

Jess - sorry we can't be much more help with the downloads, but as stated they do seem to be working fine. Hopefully, someone else may have a copy they can send to you via pdf or similar?

Jagv8 - I think gave an honest up to date answer if albeit a little blunt. Sometimes thats the way it is and members don't always fill out their responses or add emoticons ( which do help some ! )

Oakebury - I feel sadenned that you feel unable to post for fear of rude replies and the like. Please check around and do your homework as I believe you will not find too much of that here. We do try always to promote friendlieness and camradderrie here and frown upon any rudeness / bullying of newbies or any member for that matter. Its something we take very seriously here and some very senior members were banned a short while ago for this very thing

Old 08-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

JessN16 - You appear to have failed to note that I offered several free ways to get the info you wanted. No mention of a trip to a dealer whether with a blank check or not. I see Jim tried to help you with the free handbooks, too. You're unusual.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM

JessN16 - You appear to have failed to note that I offered several free ways to get the info you wanted. No mention of a trip to a dealer whether with a blank check or not. I see Jim tried to help you with the free handbooks, too. You're unusual.
I took your advice where I could. I ordered the shop manuals you suggested right away. I couldn't find the OBD tool you mentioned on eBay but I have the info saved and will continue to look for it from time to time.

I spent the better part of two hours trying to get those manuals to download last night, to no avail. I really did try, I promise. I finally had an epiphany of sorts this evening about doing an end-around with Adobe, and it worked. I've updated that information in the download thread that is a sticky on this forum. But if that had failed -- and I had not been able to find a set of manuals on eBay -- I would have been stuck, and still without an answered question.

Jess

Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 29

So you got it sorted in the end jess? Or at least got availability to the manual at last.....glad you got that and hopefully it will be of some help to you.
Cheers Jess

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Jess, I dont think anyone meant to be a legit jerk. I have found this forum and its members to be extremely helpful and friendly, unlike others I have been members of. I can't speak for everyone, but am glad to have you. I am sure at points you will be able to give some good insight as you get more familiar with your S. It's all about a give/take relationship with any forum. I wouldnt automatically assume someones bluntness is them being mean or nasty even if in text it comes accross that way (as Jim said). Anyways, wanted to welcome you and hope you will stick around.

PS Jim who got the boot? Any SType-ers???

Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bull27
Hi Jess, I dont think anyone meant to be a legit jerk. I have found this forum and its members to be extremely helpful and friendly, unlike others I have been members of. I can't speak for everyone, but am glad to have you. I am sure at points you will be able to give some good insight as you get more familiar with your S. It's all about a give/take relationship with any forum. I wouldnt automatically assume someones bluntness is them being mean or nasty even if in text it comes accross that way (as Jim said). Anyways, wanted to welcome you and hope you will stick around.

PS Jim who got the boot? Any SType-ers???
Thanks, Bull. I'm glad to be here, too.

Turns out I do have a problem relating back to the initial question in this thread. My center console is supposed to open, but doesn't. We'll have to take everything apart to get to the climate control module in a couple of weeks, anyway, and I guess I'll get to it then.

Jess

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JagV8 I have read your replies to this and to other threads. Most seem to be at the very least curt bordering on rude.

I contribute to two other Forums one of which is the AMOC, not once have my threads been replied to in the manner you seem to think is acceptable.

And Jess Keep them coming there are some very good guys on this forum who understand that inexperience with the model requires a lot of help and the size of the posts makes it difficult to find exactly what you want if it is indeed there.

I do not see why Jagv8 seems to think you are unusual surely the opposite would be more correct.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb on this one.

First of all, to answer your question(s) Jess, the same chrome knob/lever that allows the console door to slide also opens the console. You do have to remove the inner console box to get the dash trim off. So, if pulling up on the chrome knob does not open the console, you may have a broken latch. The latch works with two catches that latch on to the side of the console box. At this point I would risk breaking it if it is stuck. It looks like you may have to get a new console door assembly anyway.

As for the Handbook downloads, here is the Jaguar website that gives you access to the owners manual plus many of the accessory installation manuals (these are a great help in looking at how things go together or come apart even if you aren't going to install that particular accessory). If this is the site that you were trying from another thread, well the rest of this post will make a lot more sense then...
Here is the link: http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extf...prod/index.jsp

So, about the "direction" the rest of this thread is taking... All I can say is you need to step back and imagine your sitting in a large meeting room with a bunch of people in the same business. You are going to have the entire spectrum of personalities. Some are long winded (me ), some are short and to the point. Some have a great amount of knowledge while there are others that you will wonder, how in the heck did they let them in??? Let me give you a little insight ( I hope I don't tick off JagV8). JagV8 is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to electronic codes and data gathering. He has also admitted to doing some of his own work but is not a Jaguar tech. He is also one of the most active posters on this site. He spends a bunch of time on here, I'm sure. He may not directly answer some questions, but he will point you in the direction. That is a service and not a blow off. I have learned a great deal from those "directions". It may be easier to just get an answer but if pointed to the information you then have the opportunity to actually learn more about it and maybe even gain more knowledge beyond the initial question. I apply the same technique managing my associates. If they need help, I point them in the direction but let them figure it out for themselves. They may stumble a bit but in the long run they all have learned more from me as a manager in only a few years than they have under someone else for many more. So, be patient, seek knowledge, and enjoy the site for what it is...

Quick Reply: One last question, and I'll shut up for a week. I swear.