S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating - Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Overheating - Help

I am back and in need of help/guidance. 2006 S type 3.0 v6, 125k miles and overheating big time.

The dash has a red light on saying coolant low, even after coolant reservoir has been topped off. Filling the reservoir turns the light off for maybe a minute of driving, light comes back on - reservoir empty again. Obviously leaking. No other codes on dash / no check engine light.

Car drives well but overheats when idling or driving slowly, at highway speeds 70+ car is cool and needle stays in the center of the temperature gauge.

Vehicle temperature gauge hit the red mark while sitting in traffic and started steaming - i shut it off asap and let it cool down. Put more water 40min later, car started and drove fine for 2miles until I parked it at home.

My first step, lift the car fill reservoir and look for leaks. Use my IR gun to check hose temp and feel for water (coolant leaked all out, will replace after leak is fixed)

Next step, not sure??
(have not changed any cooling system parts in the past 2years/25kmiles)

Appreciate any help and advice--- love this forum!!!!!

Last edited by xoroniox; 09-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 PM

I was reading this post from another member:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-leak-108364/

But its a bit advanced for me, I am a serious DIYer but will need step by step advice (forum members? lol) & guide (JTIS) . thanks in advance

Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Step one sounds good, let us know what you find.
Can you borrow a pressure tester from Autozone or somewhere to try and find the leak without running the engine?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Step one sounds good, let us know what you find.
Can you borrow a pressure tester from Autozone or somewhere to try and find the leak without running the engine?
To add, you have a major coolant leak you should be able to see. If not, then you have an internal coolant issue (head gasket)

After pressure testing the system I would pull the water pump and check the impellers.

Good luck

Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 PM

Thank you both for the replies. Have not touched the vehicle yet, ordered a pressure tester from amazon $50 ... will do that test and update in a few days. First ill dry off everything I can and once I get the vehicle under pressure I just look at all hoses etc to spot dripping water correct? Pressure to 15psi is ok for the s type?

The leak must be pretty large since I filled the vehicle with at least 2 gallons that emptied quickly. Hoping its easy to spot during the pressure test.

Last edited by xoroniox; 09-08-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 3.0L like you and have had coolant loss issue. Mine had three culprits:

1. the 'turret' on the top coolant hose broke. See picture on the left. Well known issue and the first place to check.
2. the reservoir lower nipple developed hairline crack. It leaked when pressurized. Reservoir replaced.
2. upper hose from water pump to DCCV split. This is part quality issue and remedied with better quality hose.

Attached Thumbnails Overheating - Help-img_0233.jpg   Overheating - Help-img_0232.jpg  

Last edited by TonyX; 09-09-2016 at 09:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonyX:
Jon89 (09-09-2016), xoroniox (09-13-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

^^ Spot-on advice from TonyX. Check all of those sources carefully (especially the reservoir nipple and the turret on the top hose) before you do anything else. The weak plastic used in these parts flat-out kills them after just a few years....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I order the upper hose assembly without the hoses, it was a lot more to contend with. I attach my old one on to the new one by breaking the plastic that was really attached to the rubber hose. The pressure was too much so I had to get a hose clamp. I found out when I smashed the gas when driving home I lost coolant all over the road and the engine compartment. It was $40 bucks on ebay, plus the "turret" was a hexagon it was a lot better then the oem style. Don/t forget to burp the air out that was most of my over heating issue. My gauge was reading different it raised quickly then cool down quickly. My Cylinder head temperature was not picking up the coolant it was empty.

Last edited by Johnny V; 09-11-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:18 PM

Quick update. Filled reservoir with 1.5 gallons of water and pressure tested. No drips or water found under the car. I tested at night so will replace the reservoir for now and retest. To confirm I am buying the right part - ebay reservoir w/cap $33

pumped to 15 psi and pressure dropped to less than 7 psi in under a minute. I found a pressure leak in the reservoir tank along the top seam, where the black plastic meets the clear plastic - also found my reservoir cap is not sealing well. Even while pressure testing I did not see water dripping, but i did hear air escaping - I still cant understand how the vehicle loses 2 gallons of water with a small air leak?

Thank you TonyX for the insight, will check those spots asap.

Last edited by xoroniox; 09-13-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM

Quick update - vehicle has not been turned on in 3 days. Noticed water leaking from the exhaust pipes. See photo ... will check more into later tonight. Im scared - possible head gasket? Would water be leaking even when the vehicle is off?

Old 09-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Please forgive if my question strays too far from this thread. I'm replacing coolant reservoir/overflow tank. Received new one in the mail, but there is a part rattling inside where the coolant level probe electrical connection affixes to the tank. Is this normal? Should I send it back? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by love&hateXK8
Please forgive if my question strays too far from this thread. I'm replacing coolant reservoir/overflow tank. Received new one in the mail, but there is a part rattling inside where the coolant level probe electrical connection affixes to the tank. Is this normal? Should I send it back? Thanks.
Yes, normal

Old 09-15-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by xoroniox
Quick update - vehicle has not been turned on in 3 days. Noticed water leaking from the exhaust pipes. See photo ... will check more into later tonight. Im scared - possible head gasket? Would water be leaking even when the vehicle is off?
Yes, could be condensation..

Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 PM

cUpdate - inside the exhaust pipes seems dry for the moment, no water on the floor/pipes. Also, oil dip stick is clean and so is oil cap - no sign of water there. Reservoir is still full from the other day that I filled it. Will pressure test again once new reservoir is in. At that point will test turn vehicle on and check exhaust when its at temperature. Unless I hear other thoughts I should do this sunday.

Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

If you have corrected all the leaks and replaced the hoses, you may want to consider the water pump being the issue. If the pump is rotating but the impeller has come loose from the shaft, the engine can overheat.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

In addition, how old is the thermostat? They are generally serviceable for three to five years.

Be sure to replace the thermostat with one that is to OEM specification as aftermarket ones sometimes do not function correctly.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It took me awhile to diagnose partially clogged radiator (50/50), I used "laser" thermometer.
Another unusual, I think, problem was rusted water pump impeller. Previous owner had water in cooling system and impeller rusted and fell apart.
I suggest buying "laser" thermometer from Harbor Freight ($25)
`http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=infrared+thermometer`

Last edited by car5car; 09-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
Yes, normal
Thanks abonano. I'll be installing the coolant overflow tank tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (09-16-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 08:42 PM

Update - changed the coolant reservoir , added 1 gallon or so of water. Pressure tested at 15-16psi car held that pressure for 5-10min with no leaking of air or water.

Both exhaust pipes were dry, turned on car, opened the reservoir cap and noticed the water moving- let it sit for 5min, no water leaking- temp got up to normal , right in the middle of the gauge (fan never turned on) - took the car for a 5 min drive. Temp stayed at middle of gauge. Parked car, no leaking water, temp was still at middle of gauge, let car sit for 1-2min , fan still was not on.

Both exhaust pipes had water in them, enough water in each to fill the pipe almost the to lip and I think it would keep filling and spill out if I kept testing. So I am guessing this is where my water has been leaking from but I never noticed it before?? Pretty sure the car did not overheat because the water was still circulating and did not leak out yet.

Would a stuck thermostat/broken water pump cause that symptom? Is moving water in the reservoir telling me pump is ok? Neither of them have been replaced in the past 2 years, history before that is unknown.

Help & thanks again , no clue what my next step is. Best guess is it ok to drive the vehicle temporarily until this problem is fixed?

Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The water in the exhaust is condensation from the combustion process. It's normal.

Quick Reply: Overheating - Help