S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Sensors, Looks like bad module?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Parking Sensors, Looks like bad module?

Hello all,
Well, decided to drive the wife to work yesterday due to a blizzard (cause I'm just that great!) and noticed the parking sensors were not working. I was getting the three second or so beep when put in reverse and then nothing. Now, I've been through this before in the spring when I had to replace two sensors. Anyway, I've done all the checks. All 4 sensors are clicking away as they should, also, since I get the tone for the error in the system I am assuming that the speaker is fine. So, that leaves the module. Now, I've disconnected the battery for a while = still broken. Then I checked the trunk to make sure its dry, and it is cause I always check. Next I disconnected the module and took it out and looked for any sign of moisture, looks perfect. Plugged it all back in good and tight, still not working. So, my conclusion is the module is bad. I've found a few used ones but before I go for it I thought I would see if all you here with your wealth of knowledge come to the same conclusion. I've found lots of threads on this where it was concluded that the module was bad, but nobody ever replied to say that it worked or not.
Thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Is the reverse parking aid button on the overhead console depressed (light on) or off?

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Don't have that button! I believe that only cars with both front and rear park assist have that one. I only have the rear. Anyway, I've been looking at modules and was wondering if anyone knew if the one from an x-type would fit the STR. Based on what they look like they are identical, but I also know that doesn't mean it would work. But I also know that some can work. Also, the x-type park modules cost about half what the s-type ones do. I've almost convinced myself to try the x-type one since it's so cheap. If it doesn't work I can just sell it and get the s-type one.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM

Well, upon some thinking and reading up on the issue some more, I've decided that most likely it isn't the module (but not ruling it out). Since I get the 3 second beep it must be sensing something wrong with a sensor. Even though they are all clicking, it doesn't mean that they are all working properly. Apparently they can click but not be working right. So, since I bought 4 sensors when I replaced the two bad ones last time, I will try playing musical sensors with the new and old ones and see if I can narrow down a bad sensor. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll go for a new module, but might as well try they sensors that I already have rather then spending $100 and fixing nothing! Now it just needs to warm up a bit so I can take that bumper off!