S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger seat won't move forward/back

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passenger seat won't move forward/back

Hi all. I'm a new member so I hope I am doing this right! I have a 2000 s series Jag. We just got an awesome sound system installed, and now the passenger front seat won't go forward/backward. It will go up/down, lumbar etc. Even the switch that moves it front/back will work to move up/down, just not forward/back, which is odd.

We are trying to locate the fuse, as that's supposed to be the easiest fix. Yet we can't locate it, despite reading owner's manual, researching online, etc. (We now are knowledgeable on where the fuse boxes are though, which is an improvement!!).

We also tried pushing on the seat physically as one site recommended.

So any idea where the fuse is that controls this feature - or any idea what else to try?

Many Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi.... I'm also a new member...I have a '91 XJ6 that I bought new....a few years back I had a similar problem. Seat wouldn't move forward or backward...fuses were ok and it was getting power. I removed a bolt below the front seat cushion in the front of the seat and pulled the seat bottom off the track ( easy to do ). Here's what I saw. There is a long "screw" about 16" long that goes through a small block with a motor. As the motor turns, the screw turns and pulls the seat frame forward or backward. Well....the carpet moved below the seat frame and lots of material like thick threads were pulled out of the carpet and jammed into the motor block where the "screw" moved.....totally jammed up....not moving and didnt look like it would ever move! I took it all apart and removed all that carpet and it worked fine...then I cut a patch of carpet out that was below the motor block so this couldn't happen again....this was a few yrs ago and haven't had any more problems....this might not be what is causing your problem, but it happened to me and is a definite possibility and quick and easy to check....

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-10-2013)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem!

Did you fix this? My switch even makesa clicking noise. Had it all out, tracks clear and moving fine, motor brushes are ok too

I'm a bit stumped!

Originally Posted by jagmom123
Hi all. I'm a new member so I hope I am doing this right! I have a 2000 s series Jag. We just got an awesome sound system installed, and now the passenger front seat won't go forward/backward. It will go up/down, lumbar etc. Even the switch that moves it front/back will work to move up/down, just not forward/back, which is odd.

We are trying to locate the fuse, as that's supposed to be the easiest fix. Yet we can't locate it, despite reading owner's manual, researching online, etc. (We now are knowledgeable on where the fuse boxes are though, which is an improvement!!).

We also tried pushing on the seat physically as one site recommended.

So any idea where the fuse is that controls this feature - or any idea what else to try?

Many Thanks!

Old 02-28-2021, 04:37 PM

I have the same problem. All seat functions work fine, but it won't move back or forward. I hear a distinct click when the switch is engaged. Fuses are fine.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:06 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

It is known that the seat mechanisms can jam if you run them all the way to the end. Basically, they break the plastic end stop, ride over the end of the thread and then jam. You may need to take the seat out and manually turn it so it re-engages on the thread and then make sure you do not run it all the way to the end again!
Mellow

Old 03-01-2021, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by M-e-l-l-o-w
It is known that the seat mechanisms can jam if you run them all the way to the end. Basically, they break the plastic end stop, ride over the end of the thread and then jam. You may need to take the seat out and manually turn it so it re-engages on the thread and then make sure you do not run it all the way to the end again!
Mellow
Thanks, I will give that a try

Old 03-02-2021, 06:58 AM
Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass1st
Thanks, I will give that a try
Do follow the correct procedures for removing the seat regarding the air bag!!
Obvioulsy this may not be the fault you have, but if it is at the far end of travel it may well be what has happened.

Mellow

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (03-02-2021)