Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! Dealer is taking me to the cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Please Help! Dealer is taking me to the cleaners

Hi Forum, I have posted my original issue with the CEL coming on along with the restricted performance light. The codes were P1314 and P1111. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the plugs and coils on the even bank. I didnt even make it home before the CEL and restricted performance light came back on again. It happened as soon as I hit the gas pretty hard. Now the dealer is telling me they checked the cats, O2 sensors, etc and all of that checked out. The only thing left it could be is the fuel injectors....for another 6k of course. I really think they're taking me to the cleaners. I would really, really appreciate some advice. I love that car, but enough is enough. I replaced the tranny not 3 months ago, so I'm up to about 12k in less than 90 days!!! I just cant keep dumping money into it. Please help!!!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

P1111 is normal and should be there. P1314 is bank 1 misfire. Did they replace the incorrect bank?

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Hi Forum, I have posted my original issue with the CEL coming on along with the restricted performance light. The codes were P1314 and P1111. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the plugs and coils on the even bank. I didnt even make it home before the CEL and restricted performance light came back on again. It happened as soon as I hit the gas pretty hard. Now the dealer is telling me they checked the cats, O2 sensors, etc and all of that checked out. The only thing left it could be is the fuel injectors....for another 6k of course. I really think they're taking me to the cleaners. I would really, really appreciate some advice. I love that car, but enough is enough. I replaced the tranny not 3 months ago, so I'm up to about 12k in less than 90 days!!! I just cant keep dumping money into it. Please help!!!
Find an independent Jag shop with a good reputation that will just repair what is broken and not throw parts at the car. Banks of coils and bank of fuel injectors generally do not fail all at once. Your problem can be as simple as an intermittently broken wire. You need a good diagnostician to find it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.
bklynchris (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
P1111 is normal and should be there. P1314 is bank 1 misfire. Did they replace the incorrect bank?
I dont think so. The DTC description said "bank 2" and thats the one I believe they worked on. Supposedly, they replaced all the coils and plugs for that bank.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I see P1314 as bank 2 in the codes PDF (free download in the stickies & JTIS). Severe misfire, catalyst-damaging. Should be fixable and +1 on an indy or at least some other shop with someone competent.

bklynchris (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

the dealer informed me the codes they are now seeing are:
P0302, 0304, 0306, 0308 and P1316....

Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the dealer informed me the codes they are now seeing are:
P0302, 0304, 0306, 0308
So these are all of the even cylinders misfiring.

and P1316....
and a misfire at startup.

Find someone else to work on your car. They changed the plugs and coils on bank 2 and now they are all misfiring.

bklynchris (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I think its highly probable that they changed the coils and plugs on the wrong bank. Mechanic was told to change bank 2, but heard bank 1 or didn't know the difference.

If not, they did it wrong, which is really hard to do changing those items.

Or they didn't do the work at all, which brings up all kinds of issues.

Either way, they are less than qualified to work on your car.

As has been said, find someone else to work on your car. I think another mechanic will discover that one of the above statements is true.

Please check back and let us know what you find.
Vector

bklynchris (05-07-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Bank 1 is on right as you sit in driver seat. 2 is on left.

bklynchris (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts
Default STOP and get it to a reliable exhaust shop

Please, look at this thread and heed my advice before you do anything else.

CLICK THIS:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-going-44855/

Two real big questions...

Did it run fine then you started getting "restricted performance"?

Does it seem to idle fine?

Your issue so sounds like mine. Especially the whole bank showing miss-fires. I highlighted some big clues in red above.

I don't care if the dealer says that the cats are fine. Get a good exhaust shop to look at them.

I really think it is a cat issue causing this and should be a fairly straight forward fix. And remember that if it runs OK under light load (or did when the problem first occurred) it more than likely is not the coils or the fuel system.

Last edited by JOsworth; 05-08-2013 at 07:59 AM.
bklynchris (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

If ONE of your Cats are plugged or partially plugged it will throw off ALL the sensors off and you could literally replace everything up to that point and still have codes. CASE IN POINT I heard of , this guy,.Someone put a potato on his tail pipe and he literally replaced most of the stuff before the potato dried up and blew out. This was extreme and the car would run for only a while and was before all the electronic controls and was still ok to beat the crap out of the culprit.I think flat tires was the response.Another person backed into a pile of hard dirt and it ran crappy until it vibrated out.This day and age thats CEL all day.

bklynchris (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Please, look at this thread and heed my advice before you do anything else.

CLICK THIS:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-going-44855/

Two real big questions...

Did it run fine then you started getting "restricted performance"?

Does it seem to idle fine?

Your issue so sounds like mine. Especially the whole bank showing miss-fires. I highlighted some big clues in red above.

I don't care if the dealer says that the cats are fine. Get a good exhaust shop to look at them.

I really think it is a cat issue causing this and should be a fairly straight forward fix. And remember that if it runs OK under light load (or did when the problem first occurred) it more than likely is not the coils or the fuel system.

JOsworth, Thank you for the info. I think the dealer just did a **** poor job initially and is trying to cover his behind by charging me 6k. I never really liked the service dept here. I've actually made app'ts to get my car looked at and when I get to the dealer, they tell me they're too busy to get to my car. I'm sure there is a corporate office I can complain to and I assure you, they're going to hear from me! At any rate, since I've already paid them 1.8k to fix it the first time, when the only error code was P1111 and P1314, I'm going to relay your suggestions to him and give him a day to get it fixed. Afterwards, I'll pick up my car and take further action. Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Bank 1 is on right as you sit in driver seat. 2 is on left.

When we were looking at it in the mechanics bay, they were pointing to bank 2....if I'm sitting in the driver's seat, it would be on my left. Still, the car is worse off than it was after taking it to them

Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Another thing I forgot to mention, when the service manager was explaining to me that they needed to replace the fuel injectors...for 5.3k....I told him that I have had enough and was going to dump the car and move to another brand, maybe Mercedes or BMW. Rather than try to retain me as a customer by saying anything positive, the service manager just simply said, "OK," as if to imply they dont care about my business. I find that really **** poor. I would think customer loyalty and retention would be important these days, but i guess not

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Could be they are unsure how to fix it and if you dump it they feel they're off the hook. They really seem a terrible outfit so either DIY or find an indy.

bklynchris (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Just got off the phone with the service manager and he claims they tested the car for air/exhaust leaks, checked the O2 sensor(s) and the cats. he claims the next step is the fuel injector and if i dont want to do that, then i can pick up the car...i'm picking up my car and will be writing a very nice letter to their GM or corporate office. i can't believe how this has happened. I still love Jags, but this has been a terrible experience with this dealer! I almost really do want to change brands

Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I'd ask for proof that they did. Did they offer to give you the old parts? Sorry I just don't trust dealers

bklynchris (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

bklynchris - Can't say I blame you.

I wonder if an exhaust shop could just check the cat(s). They can use an IR gun and/or remove an O2 sensor and peer in with a borescope.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
bklynchris (05-08-2013), JOsworth (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I'd ask for proof that they did. Did they offer to give you the old parts? Sorry I just don't trust dealers

Great idea!!! I'll do that when I pick up my car today. There has to be some type of record or proof of some sort. As far as the old parts, I'm sure they'll just tell me they've already disposed of them. I'm going to ask anyway though. Thanks for the feedback.I;m kind of pissed right now and probably am not thinking straight.....dealing with this while I'm working

Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
bklynchris - Can't say I blame you.

I wonder if an exhaust shop could just check the cat(s). They can use an IR gun and/or remove an O2 sensor and peer in with a borescope.
I'm picking my car up today and will take it to another shop. I'll definitely ask about this. I made the mistake of telling the dealer my intentions, (taking the car to another mechanic), so I wonder what will be broken now when I pick it up

Quick Reply: Please Help! Dealer is taking me to the cleaners