Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Projected value of S-types

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was never implying that it might be an "investment"; I was just curious if desireable discontinued models (which I consider the S type to be) depreciate at a different rate than a model that is still in production.

Since I bought it used (3 years old, 55K) for $14K, it's a financial win regardless (i.e. I had the joy of driving an awesome car for very little money). However, I realize I will need to replace it at some point.

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhitall
Thanks for all the feedback.

I was never implying that it might be an "investment"; I was just curious if desireable discontinued models (which I consider the S type to be) depreciate at a different rate than a model that is still in production.
Ah- that's a slightly different topic. Typically the last of the discontinued models tend to tank fairly quickly. This is based on emotional reactions over fears of not being able to get parts or perhaps peer pressure of being seen with an 'Edsel'.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
This myth persists on many vehicles and is usually used by a husband trying to justify his new toy to the missus.

At the time it was actually true. You could buy one new, if you could find one not spoken for, and sell it a year later for more money than paid. I had two friends that kept a new one on order every year. People were lined up to buy used ones cause the new ones were so hard to get. Those days for Harley are over.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

I posted last week about all the S-types for sale in McAllen Texas area. Today I took a look at a 2002 4.0 S-type I saw for sale on a private lot off of a road I often drive on. They are asking $3800. All the leather seats are heavily cracked and worn, the paint is ruined by the sun on the hood, trunk lid, and body top. The dash is torn apart where the navigation unit goes. Many many other visible problems with the car. It has 135K miles and there is a lot of oil on the bottom of the car. I told the guy he would be better off parting out the car. It was sad to see an S-type that was so worn out and tired.

Send your tired, worn out, S-types to McAllen Texas....