S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type 3.0L and Lincoln LS Cat. Converter the same?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S-type 3.0L and Lincoln LS Cat. Converter the same?

It seems I have problems with the catalytic converter(s) on my 2002 3.0L S-type. I keep getting the P0420 code, low power, low MPG and a 'stutter' in the engine when it gets hot (whether at idle or 60mph) where it just bogs down, sometimes once and sometimes repeatedly 5-10 times in the same number of seconds.

I am having trouble finding an S-type catalytic converter here in my little town (or online). I can find them for the Lincoln LS 3.0L engine. I have read that they are the same engine and drivetrain. Is the exhaust system also the same? Will direct fit LS catalytic converters bolt on the 2002 3.0L S-type?

If not, do you know where to get them, besides mail-order through Jaguar at $1000 a pop?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Sorry I don't know, but more seems to be said about the commonality of S & LS than is actually true - beware!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Sorry I don't know, but more seems to be said about the commonality of S & LS than is actually true - beware!
JagV8,

What have you found about the '02 Jag S-type 3.0L engine and drivetrain that is different from the '02 Lincoln LS?

I would like to know specifics! Thanks.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

I've seen a rather vague statement that the S-Type & LS were derived from a common platform. I'm very aware that Jaguar is based in England and designs and builds the cars there. There was a major revision in about 2002. Out went the Ford autobox, in came the ZF one. Etc.

I've seen statements that the window regulator on the early (1999) cars is the same as the LS.

I've not seen even an electrical diagram of the LS PCM etc.

I've no access to either car's parts lists etc.

But I really can't imagine that such dramatically different cars designed by different teams and built in different countries are as similar as some seem to think.

I've no interest in the LS so really I don't care except I think it probably misleads people when the mention of this alleged similarity is made.

If it DOES exist, I'd also like to know to what extent although it's not likely to help me - there's no LS equivalent of the STR is there?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen a rather vague statement that the S-Type & LS were derived from a common platform. I'm very aware that Jaguar is based in England and designs and builds the cars there. There was a major revision in about 2002. Out went the Ford autobox, in came the ZF one. Etc.

I've seen statements that the window regulator on the early (1999) cars is the same as the LS.

I've not seen even an electrical diagram of the LS PCM etc.

I've no access to either car's parts lists etc.

But I really can't imagine that such dramatically different cars designed by different teams and built in different countries are as similar as some seem to think.

I've no interest in the LS so really I don't care except I think it probably misleads people when the mention of this alleged similarity is made.

If it DOES exist, I'd also like to know to what extent although it's not likely to help me - there's no LS equivalent of the STR is there?
The LS and S-Type share the same platform. For all intensive purposes I would have to say that the similarities end there.

There is no LS equivalent to the STR; the 2002 lincoln v8 was a 3.9L ford engine while the 2002 jag v8 was a similar engine bored out to 4.0L, and subsequent years had the British 4.2L. While the LS never came with a supercharger, LS owners still blog about stuffing Eaton M12s into the cramped engine bays with results not comparable to STRs.

The 3.0L V6is a different story. Although the names differ (Duratec 30 in the LS vs AJ30 in the S-Type), the engines are essentially the same. I do not claim to know any more than this, as I really don't care about anything less that 8 cylinders. However, there is a discrepancy in horsepower between the two, and since it does not stem from mechanical differences in the engine, there are two areas that may make the difference:
1) the haphazard usage of BHP vs RHP, which we have seen bump the STR from 390RHP to 400BHP (although being a STR owner I just say 400).
2) Actual intake/exhaust differences

However, if the diameters of both cats match they should be interchangeable. A cat is a cat, and these being from similar engines will have similar builds.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Marty - thanks. Any idea whether (any of) the cars use the same engine management device (ECU)? And whether they likely share any of the programming? (Ford info can be easier to get than Jag info lol)

BTW, I'm guessing you're aware of the vaguely informative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine and of course the article confirming what you say about the V6: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V6_engine

The trouble with the term "platform" is that it appears to include suspension but is anyone really going to say the S-Type & LS have the same suspension....

Old 07-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

The more I look for similarities between our 2005 S-Type 3.0 and a 2005 Lincoln LS, the fewer similarities I come up with. Same engine, yes, but Jaguar made some modifications that Lincoln did not. Very different suspensions. Very different electronics. I've talked to a couple of different service managers at local Lincoln/Mercury dealerships and none of them are willing to attempt anything more difficult than an oil change or a brake job on the S-Type. Their parts departments have no way of cross-referencing part numbers from Ford to Jaguar. So it's a gamble that you must be willing to undertake if you decide to source parts from Ford.

I wish there were more documented similarities (and some trustworthy means to cross-reference them) because I always like to have multiple sources for parts and service. But other than sharing the same chassis and probably an array of minor parts such as window regulators and the like, the S-Type and the LS seem to be very different animals....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-30-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
The more I look for similarities between our 2005 S-Type 3.0 and a 2005 Lincoln LS, the fewer similarities I come up with. Same engine, yes, but Jaguar made some modifications that Lincoln did not. Very different suspensions. Very different electronics. I've talked to a couple of different service managers at local Lincoln/Mercury dealerships and none of them are willing to attempt anything more difficult than an oil change or a brake job on the S-Type. Their parts departments have no way of cross-referencing part numbers from Ford to Jaguar. So it's a gamble that you must be willing to undertake if you decide to source parts from Ford.

I wish there were more documented similarities (and some trustworthy means to cross-reference them) because I always like to have multiple sources for parts and service. But other than sharing the same chassis and probably an array of minor parts such as window regulators and the like, the S-Type and the LS seem to be very different animals....
I found two Cat sellers that say they are the same. I have not decided to order them yet, but since Jag wants $1000 each and "both should be replaced at the same time" $600 for TWO direct bolt on Cats is sounding a lot better than one for $1000 and two for $2000 plus Jag labor. They attach with three bolts (two on front and one clamp on back).

The JTIS does give some good trouble-shooting on the sensors that I will go through before replacing.

If anyone needs the Cat company info let me know. One actually said "If they do not work just send them back and we will pay postage for the return shipment and refund all your money." They have a 5 yr unlimited mile warranty.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Marty - thanks. Any idea whether (any of) the cars use the same engine management device (ECU)? And whether they likely share any of the programming? (Ford info can be easier to get than Jag info lol)

BTW, I'm guessing you're aware of the vaguely informative http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine and of course the article confirming what you say about the V6: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V6_engine

The trouble with the term "platform" is that it appears to include suspension but is anyone really going to say the S-Type & LS have the same suspension....
I am certain that the ECUs are different in 2003+, but I do not know about beforehand... I would think they are different, or at least tuned differently.

I have glanced at those articles, but by nature have to greet wikipedia articles with a certain degree of scepticism. While I did not see anything incorrect in the articles, I am not a Jag tech, or Ford tech for that matter.

The suspensions share only certain parts, but I cannot remember which. None of the electronics, though.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

If you know anything about the ECUs or indeed similar things, please fess up!

I'm still wondering if the Network Configuration (i.e. which module is on which bus) in the electrical diagrams is actually correct for the 03+ cars.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jag00Stype
Please send me the Cat company info. I need to order.
Thx!
I'm sorry. My wife threw it away in a "cleaning spree". (I thought it was surely safe out in the pickup. She never drives it!) I haven't found the company info again online yet. I'll keep trying and post here when/if I can find them again.

Sorry. Greg

Last edited by BugDoc; 09-21-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BugDoc
I'm sorry. My wife threw it away in a "cleaning spree". (I thought it was surely safe out in the pickup. She never drives it!) I haven't found the company info again online yet. I'll keep trying and post here when/if I can find them again.

Sorry. Greg

Well, I was down under again on Monday. (Not in Austrialia... under the Jag!)

I took another look at the Cat converters on the 3.0L '02 Jag S-type and the ones on my vehicle are both stamped with the FORD emblem and a bunch of numbers. That makes me pretty confident that the Cat for the Lincoln LS will work.

I am will be calling around to see of any of the Ford Parts houses in the area know anything about this. I'll let you know what I find out.

If you have found an good quality Cat that fits the 2002ish S-Type let me know. I cannot afford too high a pricetag this time of year (or any for that matter)!

Thanks. Bug Doc

Last edited by BugDoc; 12-16-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Ecu's are not the same, hell an ls uses a engine driven fan, jag elect, and ls doesnt have vvts. If ya;ll are so worried about cheaper cats, buy a set of universal magnaflos of the correct pipe diameter and have a muffler shop cut out the old and weld in the new. I just finished a custom stainless exhuast from headers to tail pipe, 2 metal matrix cats and spin tech muffler on my supercharged frontier and the whole thing didnt cost me but a grand and stainless everything is expensive

Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Anybody tried Catalytic Converters from these guys?

Discount Catalytic Converters $295 each, direct replacement. 5yr/50k miles.

That shipping cost is amazingly low. (I hope they do not see this!)

If you want to see the actual page, it is here:

http://www.discountcatalyticconverters.com/shop/detail.php?R=Endeca.493079+Endeca.285700+&B=Tj0wJl ZOPTQyOTQ5NjcxODErNDI5NDk2NzI2MCs0Mjk0OTY2Nzk0KzQy OTQ5NjcyNDcrNDI5NDk2NzEyNCZOcj1BTkQocGFydDpDYXRhbH l0aWMrQ29udmVydGVyKSZldmVudHM9cGFydGZpbmRlcg%3D%3D &T=Q2F0YWx5dGljIENvbnZlcnRlciAyMDAyIEphZ3VhciBTLVR 5cGUg&Y=2002

Sorry for that ugly URL. I cannot see any way to insert hyperlinked txt.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Ecu's are not the same...
I am certain the ECUs on the two cars are not the same. All I know is that my '02 S-type with 75K when I bought it, had (and still has at ~102K miles) catalytic converters with the FORD logo stamped on them.

Brutal, I don't really want to have someone cutting on the pipes. They look pretty rust free right now. What do you think of the company below? These are a driect fit.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a go at the URL:
http://www.discountcatalyticconverte...205cGUg&Y=2002

I copied the URL from the browser to the clipboard, then hit Shift+Ins key to insert it here.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The only thing you cut out is the cat and weld a new 1 in a new one. You can get those from cat direct, they look like the correct part. Its just gonna cost you more than welding in universals

Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Not correct the Lincoln LS does have VVT from 2003 to 2006. The early LS 2000-2002 uses the hydraulic driven fan exactly the same as the Jag. The Gen II LS 2003-2006 went to an electric fan again identical to the Jag. The Lincoln LS NEVER had an engine driven fan.

Yes the ECU is completely different between the two cars.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Do the later LS models also have the Intake Manifold Tuner valves?

Quick Reply: S-type 3.0L and Lincoln LS Cat. Converter the same?