Sponsored by:

S type 3 questions ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S type 3 questions ....

1999, v6 petrol automatic.

right here goes the questions..

1) when I pull the handbrake the light sometimes displays on the dashboard, more often than not it doesnt... but the handbrake works.

2) When I use my sunroof.. I click it once to open it and it opens fine... but I have to press and repeatidly press the button to close it... it will keep stopping and I have to re press it.... I have held my finger on the switch but it wont budge until i press again.

3) I have been using the side folding mirrors fine.. but a few weeks ago I went to open the mirrors and only one opened... so I clicked the switch and closed it.. and opened it.. this time the other opened.. but not the first... it too many attempts before they both opened.

now I am reluctant to use my sunroof incase it freezes open... and in thie weather/country its more likely to rain than not... but I have check for debree etc.
I dont want to get stuck with mirrors that just are not engaging, because whilst I was trying to press the button to make them fold back out I manually attempted and it just wasnt locking anywhere.

and finally with the handbrake I am stuck .. I think it must be a dodgy switch.. but would like to know where I can source one if it is...

any help is appreciated folks. I think all of these are a do it yourself job... Jagtech in hulll said the mirrors sound like a the motors have gone??? ummm I dont really believe that.
they said they never heard of anything like this with the sunroof... however after google it appears to be common but no answers.

and I never got around to checking the handbrake light.

thanks everyone.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Jon,

I moved this from General Tech Help section to S-Type section where it should get faster response from members with the same model.

Graham

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 AM

ok no problem... I put it there because its viewed more often.... by everyone... but here is fine sir.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 AM

really has this thread gone un noticed or really doesnt anyone have a clue? I find it funny the few times I asked a question on here I get a cold shoulder........ sorry that I am not on daily and can chat 24/7 but really I can see members can give full information urgently also if a engine is blown to a million bits how to repair it. (figure of speach) but when I ask about a possible switch, a electrical fault? or a sticky sunroof... I kinda expect a generic answer... please I am shooting myself in the foot now because I dont want to know.. but being welcomed into this group was one of the worst experiances I have had so far! every other car good I joined.. and still am a member of either paying etc... I have had no issues with.wow.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry you feel like you are getting the cold shoulder. Typically, the response around here is pretty quick. Sometimes the way the planets align can affect how receptive people are to a owner's problems.

Its just fate. Sucky fate.

I am not that familiar with the Jags to tell you straight off what is your problems, but if I was in your shoes, I would try resetting the moonroof to see if that fixed that problem. With the handbrake, I would check that the bulb wasn't flakey. And you hear the handbrake/parking brake engage and disengage, though there is no light?

I don't think my S-Type has the folding mirrors, unless it is one of those things that happen magically. Is there a button or switch for that?

Heck, the previous owner of my s-type didn't even know about the adjustable steering column and foot pedals, even though the knob is right there.

I have come to the conclusion that if Jaguar could find a way to have a computer replace a simple switch, they would. And because the cars have a lot of electrical problems, it makes me think that a good inspection of the "boot" (or trunk), checking all electrical connections there and under the dash, might bring something more telltale to light.

I understand you are frustrated, but to air a grievance doesn't help your case. I responded because I have been in a similar situation before and am sympathetic to your plight.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by jonrms
really has this thread gone un noticed or really doesnt anyone have a clue? I find it funny the few times I asked a question on here I get a cold shoulder........ sorry that I am not on daily and can chat 24/7 but really I can see members can give full information urgently also if a engine is blown to a million bits how to repair it. (figure of speach) but when I ask about a possible switch, a electrical fault? or a sticky sunroof... I kinda expect a generic answer... please I am shooting myself in the foot now because I dont want to know.. but being welcomed into this group was one of the worst experiances I have had so far! every other car good I joined.. and still am a member of either paying etc... I have had no issues with.wow.
I'm sorry you feel like that Jon.

This is not your local Jaguar Dealership. Everyone here gives their time, knowledge and experience for nothing in the same way as you pay nothing to use it.

When it comes to advice, most members are more comfortable resolving mechanical issues than they are with electrical or electronic issues. The weight of experience and replies will therefore inevitably be biased towards such questions.

1. Handbrake Warning Light

If your S-Type has the mechanical handbrake, the warning light is triggered by a switch (item 4) attached to the lever assembly:

The P/N is XR813268 but the most likely cause of intermittent operation is that it needs cleaning.

If you have the electronic handbrake, this also has a Park Switch but there's five different P/N's depending on VIN range.

2. Sunroof
This is more likely to be the switch than the motor. Although this may only require the switch cleaning, it sounds as if it could be failing and need replacement.

3. Folding Mirrors

Across the model range, issues with folding mirrors are usually due to the motor (circled in red) sticking. Item 4 is the Mirror Glass adjustment motor:

Rectification involves removing the mirror and cleaning.

I hope you appreciate the time and effort that goes into a response like this and that it helps troubleshoot your electrical issues.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails S type 3 questions ....-s-type-handbrake.jpg   S type 3 questions ....-s-type-door-mirror.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Sheff928 (12-07-2019), steveinfrance (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 AM

Thank you, really thank you!

I first want to appologise for the snooty, frustrated post!
Please tell me to have a cookie or something in the future... I am not trying to make excuses however I wish to inform you that with the morphine, and other medication I am on, I occasionally just speak out and not in the the way its fully to be recieved.

I will have a good look at those suggestions above... and really can only thank you.

My S type is fully loaded minus the rear blind. I have the folding mirrors which is on a switch on the drivers door, I belive its more likely to be electrical but I will clean up the the mirrors and try to ensure it functions properly.

the handbrake, I think its part 4 thats the issue.. however the bulb is also another great idea, one I took for granted.... so for parts.. I will check the bulb first.. then if that fails I will buy that new unit. because the handbrake functions fine... but doesnt produce a warning light. (saying that when you start the car I am sure its one that lights up??????? before you turn your key????? hmmmmm

the sunroof/moon roof electical? blockage? I have no idea... but I will read again what has been posted and if all else fails.. its going to Jaguar dealership to get repaired... I dont want it to rain and get caught out with the sunroof unable to close.

Tahnk you again.. sorry for being a pain in the amonkey monkey..

Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 AM
GGG

................... I have the folding mirrors which is on a switch on the drivers door, I belive its more likely to be electrical but I will clean up the the mirrors and try to ensure it functions properly............
Jon,

The 'fold' motor I circled in red often sticks. Dirt and water gets into the pivot and seizes it up.

A pain to dismantle the mirror to get to it but better than the cost of a replacement mirror.

Graham

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I read the questions but didn't know the answers so didn't comment. Probably what happened to everyone else, too.

However, from what's been added I can say that getting the mirror back off is my first step (then oiling - don't use WD40 it's not a lubricant). I found the back (aka shell) comes off if you can get something thin into the gap (yes, what gap lol) and then a sudden sharp blow on the thing inserted. You need someone/a cloth to catch the back as it flies off. I hear some can get the back off with their finger nails but I can't.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Times are changing but one thing to remember is that a lot of members are in the States so a UK post can get pushed down the stack by posts coming in 12 hours later.
If you want a quick reply try posting at night.
The other thing to go for is the thread title - if it's interesting and informative you'll get better results.
I've made several posts and got no replies - probably 'cos no-one had an answer.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I'm on here several times a day and this is the first time I noticed the OP's questions. I wonder why/if it did not appear?? No harm or snobbism intended I can assure you.

The three items are all electrical and all intermittant in nature- the worst combination for a DIYer to tackle. Being that the car is one of the oldest in the fleet, it might be that some components are reaching the end of their reliable life.

Not much help, but I don't have a manual handbrake or folding mirrors on my car.

+1 on JagV8's condemnation of WD40. It's excellent for it's intended purpose but not much else.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
+1 on JagV8's condemnation of WD40. It's excellent for it's intended purpose but not much else.
WD40 is so aromatic, I have always thought it to be the mechanic's cologne.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

With such an old car you should download the JTIS and the JEPC. Both are free on this site. That's where are the nice pictures above came from.

It's really great when ordering parts because you can bring them into the dealer and he is looking at the same thing.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 AM

I have the Jtis cd which I bought.. the car is in great shape... I am just keeping it that way.. its off to the body shop to get some tiny blemishes out soon.

i am after a new drivers seat too... or new skin... as I have been quoted more than twice the amount to repair that than to repaint and fix the tiny dents and the odd chip here and there....

plus a biggish dent... and some rust.. but nothing major..

my body mechanic is great.... and is a mate... but I know no one who is suitable to fix a slightly torn seat with cracks.... the rest of the interior is fantstic.

anyway its not a pimp mobile... its just a nice car that I love.... I wanted one the day they came out but at that time just bought myself a new ML320 so couldnt afford to have both... and since then I bought a volvo s40 R design... all new... and a pt cruiser...... and then with the worlds money going to pots.. I thought enough is enough and bought this second hand from a jaguar dealership. with full history and as I said its in great condition...... I could spend money by bringing it to Jagtech... or even my local jaguar dealership.. but for little things like this... I miss getting my hands dirty... plus its so satisfying doing it yourself.

pps I even bought a flat cap....yep... just because.... everyone told me I had to have one as they claim it to be a old mans car...... its not.. its great... but if you put it in sports mode than it really does leave the other cars off the line.... not all.. its not a sports car... but its funny when they see it take off...
thank you all for your help... I will investigate everything fully later when it stops raining. one day!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

everyone told me I had to have one as they claim it to be a old mans car......
As 6 cylinder S Types are refferred here as "granny mobiles" EEEeeeerrttt,

Yes there is a story, actually quite a humorous story behind the EEEeeeerrttt!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
As 6 cylinder S Types are refferred here as "granny mobiles" EEEeeeerrttt,

Yes there is a story, actually quite a humorous story behind the EEEeeeerrttt!
Well now it all makes sense, because I bought mine from a granny!

And you are going to tell us the EEEeeeerrttt story, right JoycesJag?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Granny car... lmao... OOOOH I should show you my cars pre spinal injury... ie RTC/ RTA.

I had many sports cars and motorcycles..... now I ride in a auto jag because I find it difficult to use the clutch... and I have a pan european st1100 motorcycle because its soft and easy to ride.. just have to remember both feet down (which normally is a no no) when I stop.... otherwise I will just fall... (yes it has happened a few times... pre paint job)

anyway thank you all for your TIME / and help... I see someone else is having folding mirror problems.

ps where do you guys go to buy your parts.... I want to sort the sunroof.. I think if I clean it and it still presents problems it will go to Jagtech in hull....

The mirror are a time consuming bit... I know the motor works.. so its not that... and the hand brake switch number 4 and the ashtray latch on the front needs replacing as it has a tendancy to not shut some times.. ahhh..

ps as for modifications... well now my other jag sold.. and I can concentrate on this one .. I will be doing a gearbox upgrade, fluid change etc... the engine will have a power kick, and the suspension can use something... not sure.. normally I would lower a car, stiffen the suspension etc.. but with my spine.. I need the ride not to suffer... but I want it to corner under power.

maybe stablisers on the front and rear shocks..... but still keeping it looking original and prestine!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by heima

And you are going to tell us the EEEeeeerrttt story, right JoycesJag?

Oh about a year and a half ago there was a Jaguar/Corvette Meet Up in Pittsburgh, Pa. that a half dozen of us met at. Everyone from this S Type Section had an STR 4~5 I can't remember. Norri and I were in my wifes "Granny Mobile" (the V6) as the STR boys lamely called us.

Anyways, we all lined up for the drive to the show, as we proceeded, the STR boys were having some "fun" along the highway and back country roads (lets just say ), Norri and I were at the back of the pack for obvious reasons.

Now for the EEEeeeerrrttt story.... At a stop sign the STR boys all decided to leave their "signature" on the roadway, more than a few EEeerrtts. So Norri and I being a bit hung over ever so slightly, was "our" turn, I looked over at Norri and said "hang on, EEeerrrttt" as I pulled away from the stop sign at a nice graceful pace. It was fun story to tell the STR boys when we did finally catch up to them.

Name:  jag042.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  72.6 KB

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

See you don't need an R to have fun in an S Type!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I have never seen that many STR's at the same time! It's got to be a record at least in the US!!!

I saw another STR once in Oklahoma and got next to him. Gave him a big thumbs up and boy did he smile when he finally noticed that I was in an STR too!!

Quick Reply: S type 3 questions ....