S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type Fob and Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S-Type Fob and Key

I asked a question a couple of days ago and got several answers. Thanks.

I located two used fobs for $20.00 each. One new one costs over $200.00.

A new key will cost $64.00

And about $135.00 to program the fob.

Is there anyway to program it yourself or is there a cheaper way? The cost sounds exhorbitant, and the dealer seems to be taking advantage of customer.

Can an ordinary locksmith program the fob?

Thanks for all your help!

Steerforth!~

Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Short answer which I think I posted in the original thread, NO.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM

SI, Señor!

Yo vivo en Mexico

Bubba Free Toe
(Free Toe Bandido)

Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Steerforth,

We probably need to put this on a FAQ for new buyers BEFORE they buy the car so buyers know to negotiate adding a key(s) and fobs and have them build the cost in to the deal if they buy from dealers or know to take care of it when they buy private party.

It is actually a great security move as the dealer usually verifies ownership. The keys are all re-programmed as a group. The result is any old keys the previous owner did not give you won't work after programming.

Also, if you get a valet key and use it as intended, if the valet has tried to re-program a key set to come after your jag later that night and look in glove box for your address,a couple of things make it awckward. First, the valet key does not allow access to the glove box or trunk so a little more awckward to get address. Second, by giving them the valet key. When you get back in the car start it up with your regular key, if they do get a chance to re-program the car and key, your regular key won't work and you know something is up right then.

It is kind of like buying a house, you generaly want to change the locks. With programmable keys, you actually are a lot more cost effective than the good old days when you had to change lock cylinders.

I also got three different prices on programming from same dealer. Reminded them of the one of all keys and fobs for $100 and they honored it if there are a few dealers around, it might save a few bucks to call.

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steerforth
Is there anyway to program it yourself or is there a cheaper way? The cost sounds exhorbitant, and the dealer seems to be taking advantage of customer.

Can an ordinary locksmith program the fob?

Steerforth!~
Okay, are you talking about programming the key fob or the key? You can easily program the fob that you just bought for $20 by following the instructions here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2056

If you have more than one fob, press them both within a few seconds of each other so they will be programmed the same. This is for an X-type, but I believe the key fobs are the same.

Now, if you find a way to get a key for $64 that will work, please, let me know.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMG
Okay, are you talking about programming the key fob or the key? You can easily program the fob that you just bought for $20 by following the instructions here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2056

If you have more than one fob, press them both within a few seconds of each other so they will be programmed the same. This is for an X-type, but I believe the key fobs are the same.

Now, if you find a way to get a key for $64 that will work, please, let me know.
The S type is different, it needs a trip to the dealer, the X can be done as detailed by Jim.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by norri
The S type is different, it needs a trip to the dealer, the X can be done as detailed by Jim.
Man, that's a bite.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Default S-Type Fob and Key

Originally Posted by norri

My head is spinning!

I have to take the fobs to the dealer to program? I have one working fob and key already. I want a spare set.

The Jag dealer in San Diego quoted me $64.00 for the key, but to program it is over $100.00. Starting with the 2000 S-Type, there is a programmable chip in the key, right?

A new fob costs over $200.00, but I managed to find a couple of used ones.

S.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Steerforth,

I was hoping someone with direct s-type experience would chime in as there are a few diffrences in key programming issues between models and mine is a 2003 XK8 coupe.

I believe all of this era/vintage have a transponder within the key that has to be programmed. On mine, all keys have to be programmed at the same time as the transponders all as well as the car are reset to new code, defeating use of any old keys that were not re-programmed. Bring all keys and fobs with you for re-programming and test all of them befroe you leave.

Make sure the fobs are from/for your type of Jag. They are not all the same, hence why some can be programmed by end user and some require dealer action.

With Best Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
d33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my fob to the dealer, and they reprogrammed them (as stated, as a group) and it was covered under warranty.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

you need a scan tool (ids/wds) to program the key and remote

Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Steerforth-

If it was a simple matter, it wouldn't be much of a security system.

Eric

Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

is it the same thing, when I just changed the battery of the remote? Cause it doesn't work anymore..

thx, greetz
Paul

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Caesar
Hi,

is it the same thing, when I just changed the battery of the remote? Cause it doesn't work anymore..

thx, greetz
Paul
Seems to me I may have read somewhere that it must be reprogrammed when you change the battery, but I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will reply.

On another note, a few weeks ago I found the lost key and fob that cost me an arm and a leg to replace. Bittersweet, but nice to know it wasn't stolen.

Steerforth!~

Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I have heard that it can happen (loosing the programming when changing the battery) but it is not supposed to. If the key no longer works, the dealer is the only ones that can reprogram it.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

I had a terrible time with keys losing their programming for no apparent reason. All the keys would start the car and turn the ignition, but the keyless entry would die. I finally went with an aftermarket keyless entry unit which installed relatively easily in the driver's door, and haven't had a single problem since.

George

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Over the weekend I got the "flip out" section only for a spare key. It cost me about $70 but the dealer had to program it at no charge. Now I'll have to scrounge up the remote piece. E-Bay had some for about $55 so I may go that route. Apparently the dealers don't sell just a key anymore.

Mike

Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carelm
Over the weekend I got the "flip out" section only for a spare key. It cost me about $70 but the dealer had to program it at no charge. Now I'll have to scrounge up the remote piece. E-Bay had some for about $55 so I may go that route. Apparently the dealers don't sell just a key anymore.

Mike
Carlem,

I've got 4 or 5 used complete keys from when I was trying to get my keyless entry working (before I went aftermarket). E-mail me, geoandroulakis@gmail.com I'll let them go cheap.

George

Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Found on http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1445964-program_s_type_jaguar_key_fob_year_2000

Have you tried this approach?

Seperate key fobs only can be programmed in the following way.

Turn ignition on/off 8 x times (allow all functions to stabilise) after the 9th on - press a button on both remote fobs. then turn ign. off. use good remote to lock and then try new remote to unlock/lock. sometimes it works first time - sometimes you have to repeat actions. good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by manu_cyb
Have you tried this approach?

Seperate key fobs only can be programmed in the following way.

Turn ignition on/off 8 x times (allow all functions to stabilise) after the 9th on - press a button on both remote fobs. then turn ign. off. use good remote to lock and then try new remote to unlock/lock. sometimes it works first time - sometimes you have to repeat actions. good luck.

No, they cant. Not on an S-Type.

There is no back door, no user programming sequence. You NEED to take the car to a jag dealer or an independent who has IDS.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: S-Type Fob and Key