Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly Squeaky Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I think there is a screen of some sort but it's a long time since I added the additive. I probably removed some with a syringe, but you could use plastic tubing and suck carefully.
Yeah, there's a screen alright --- I was trying to carefully remove it and it fell inside the tank. I tried for 1/2 hour to get it out without any luck at all. Sure hope it doesn't cause any problems in there for now. At some point, I could replace the tank, but I don't have time right now, I have to drive to CT in a couple days.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't been active on the forum for several months but I thought I'd chime in with my experience on the steering squeak.

First, I had the squeegee-sounding squeak in my steering and I really could have sworn it was coming from inside the cabin, in the steering wheel bearing or electrical contacts. More sage and experienced forum members told me it was very very likely just the typical problem that could be solved by use of the special PAS additive from the dealer. I was doubtful and slightly annoying.

I got the special juice. I wasn't able to remove any PAS fluid so I didn't put it in for a long time. (I did finally manage to remove the screen but the syringe I was trying to use wouldn't reach the fluid.) I ended out just putting in the additive, since it did not raise the fluid level even quite to the full mark on the tank. Within about a week of normal driving the squeak was completely gone. Steering is perfectly smooth and fluid and excellent now. I didn't do the complicated TSB shop procedure on temperature, turning from lock to lock, etc. I just drove my daily drive (about 15-20 miles a day in suburban conditions).

Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed the sdditive about a year ago and it has been quiet since

I was leery of a "magic" additive but tried it anyway.

See my previous post #16

Old 12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I still haven't tried getting the screen out of the tank, but I have NO SQUEAK!

I did the TSB procedure, without using a temp probe. I just went through the motions turning the wheel as instructed. The squeak has been gone ever since.

I have to admit that I was skeptical! What really gets me is my in-laws, who bought this car new from the local dealership, complained about the squeak several times and Jaguar never fixed it -- I'm going to guess they didn't complain much until the warranty ran out and then they didn't want to spend the money to fix it. I spent about $13, including shipping, and about 1/2 hour of time and fixed it, apparently for good!

Old 12-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I've always been amazed that frequently the guys (and gals) here are far more savvy and up to date on these cars than some dealerships.

Cool, huh?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Did mine on the weekend... Followed the Bulletin to the letter. Squeak all gone!!

Thanks!!

Now if only everything else was so easy :::

Pour some stuff into the radiator and DCCV valve and CCM start working,

A little bit of magic stuff in the fuel tank and P0171 / P0174 disappear for ever!

Although what would be the point in owning an old Jag if everything worked or was easy to fix...

Cheers,

Old 02-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Question about the "WHY" of the Squeak

I have had this squeak twice and both times it went away with the PAS additive.

I have a simple question and color me dumb if you know the answer. How does a seal in the steering rack cause a noise? Is the rack not getting good lubrication or what is the actual cause. If there was a leak and we used an additive to expand the seal to stop the leak that would make sense. So what gives?

If one were to drive with the noise is there any damage potential to steering rack?

I had a friend that has a 2006 S-type ad he added to fill from "min" to "max" (not very much)his fluid with Royal Purple synthetic. He thinks that caused the squeak and I suggested that was not enough to do much of anything and is a non-related issue. Does anyone think different about that?

Someone suggested this was just a standard additive that is 20 years old for hydraulic fluids and that if you put in Dexron V or VI that it would have the additive in it?? Anyone try such or know better?

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano
2005 S-Type 3.0 101,500

Old 02-27-2018, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Hi Tom;
Well all we have is the descriptions in the TSB's and they describe it as a seal inside the rack making noise and this is transmitted up and into the steering column/passenger compartment. I have never seen or heard of ANY damage from this noise and every bit of documentation says the same thing. It's only a noise issue.

From working with other hydraulic equipment I have seen many noises that were very annoying to people working around the equipment but were no danger to the equipment itself. So maybe it's not too unusual?

Before I knew about the magic juice I had changed my P/S fluid several times with no change in the noise so I don't think the Royal Purple had anything to do with it?
Was the additive already in some hydraulic fluids in the past? Maybe, Maybe not. I don't know.

We kind of went thru this same thing with the ZF LifeGuard6 trans fluid. The fluid had the noise additive in it then was removed and sold separately and then we were told the additive was not needed?

When I changed the transmission fluid in my old 2005 STR I got the "whoop" noise on shifting which I did NOT have prior to the fluid change. After investigating further I found ZF had removed this noise additive from LifeGuard6.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hi Tom;
Well all we have is the descriptions in the TSB's and they describe it as a seal inside the rack making noise and this is transmitted up and into the steering column/passenger compartment. I have never seen or heard of ANY damage from this noise and every bit of documentation says the same thing. It's only a noise issue.

From working with other hydraulic equipment I have seen many noises that were very annoying to people working around the equipment but were no danger to the equipment itself. So maybe it's not too unusual?

Before I knew about the magic juice I had changed my P/S fluid several times with no change in the noise so I don't think the Royal Purple had anything to do with it?
Was the additive already in some hydraulic fluids in the past? Maybe, Maybe not. I don't know.

We kind of went thru this same thing with the ZF LifeGuard6 trans fluid. The fluid had the noise additive in it then was removed and sold separately and then we were told the additive was not needed?

When I changed the transmission fluid in my old 2005 STR I got the "whoop" noise on shifting which I did NOT have prior to the fluid change. After investigating further I found ZF had removed this noise additive from LifeGuard6.
Thanks- that is more than interesting about the ZF fluid. So if we have the whoop problem occasionally- changing the fluid to the native company fluid is worthlessness for that problem noise- so what does one now do? Is there another additive,since Jag hid their fluid additive (one assumes -so they could make more money replacing transmissions- dealerships are some of the most unethical companies on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Thanks

Tom in Plano/Dallas

Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Switch to Mercon SP ATF instead of LifeGuard 6 ATF in your ZF 6HP26. Since I did so in both of our Jaguars several years ago, no more ZF squawk in either vehicle. Mercon SP meets the required Shell M1375.4 specs at a fraction of the cost of LifeGuard 6. Once these units go out of warranty, switching to Mercon SP is definitely the way to go....

The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (02-27-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Yes I would use Mercon since we now have a lot of people using it. Back when I did my trans fluid change it was not as clear so I went with Lifeguard6 fluid. Got the whoop and researched the reasons and found a similar tale of the "Magic Juice".

The ZF additive was frustrating because it was available then it wasn't.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts