S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Guys, New Forum Sponser ECU Tuning Group (ETG)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Default STR Guys, New Forum Sponser ECU Tuning Group (ETG)

Here you guys go:

ECU Tuning Group | ECU Performance Chip Tuning

Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

A bit odd that their site seems not to include the S-Type let alone the STR......

Some News (over)due?

Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Took a look at their website and it smelled like the rest of the purported ECU tuners...BS.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Ya we have heard all this before, let's see if this one can deliver.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Mikey. Check out EuroTech's website. Very similar...locations around the world, etc. All they do is e-mail the cars "tuned" software to independent dealers, then pay the dealer his cut. Not a bad business model but proned to "Rip-Off" and "Misrepresenting" syndromes.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Surely the only proper way to tune is to see what the particular car is doing at various RPMs/speeds/loads and then tweak. Off-the-shelf tunes.... I can see the attraction if you've a car with a commonish, well-understood mod. Not going to apply to our cars any time soon by the looks of it - but maybe someone's about to announce proper tuning (not holding my breath).

Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Surely the only proper way to tune is to see what the particular car is doing at various RPMs/speeds/loads and then tweak. Off-the-shelf tunes.... I can see the attraction if you've a car with a commonish, well-understood mod. Not going to apply to our cars any time soon by the looks of it - but maybe someone's about to announce proper tuning (not holding my breath).
That's a lousy business model.

It's always been typical that companies produce a "bump up" chip for a car that's not been modified because there's a ton of those and they know exactly how the chip will perform in it. Low overhead too. Installed yourself.

You guys want an actual tuner. Experience with your model of car required.
That is going to be a lot more difficult to find.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Im scared..

Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

You guys first...

Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Forum Politics? (cut n paste from their site)
Forum administrators allow the promotion of products that don’t necessarily work purely because the company providing the product is a sponsor. Forum subscribers are like sheep that follow the flock; they take these forums as gospel. They assume that the administrators and other members have their best interests at heart but in reality it’s all a numbers game. The administrators cater to their sponsors and the subscribers are kept in line by deletion of new and innovative companies and products if they are not directly sponsoring the forum. The reason why companies such as ours do not support forums is its not an open board for discussion as it is promoted to be. It’s only an open discussion for those who put money in the forum administrator’s pocket. This is a purely political domain – if you play the game then you get the recognition. We believe as a company that there is a lot of false advertising in this industry that gives this industry a bad name. Forums will help sell their contributors products with full knowledge that they do not work. These people have only their wallets on their minds not their subscriber’s vehicle’s performance. Sometimes it surprises me how these ‘tuners’ have time to even be involved in a forum discussion? Don’t they have work to do? We barely get time to respond to emails let alone discuss the weight of the lug nuts on a BMW.

JAGUAR:
XK $995
XKR $995
XF $995
XJ $995
XJR $995
Jaguar Supercharged with pulley $1,395
Jaguar 2010- Supercharged with pulley $1,695

AND EVERYONE WANTS TO COMPLAIN CAUSE NO ONE TUNES..............JAGUARS
WHEN YOUR IN A FRINGE MARKET AND YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE TO YOUR CAR YOU PAY, AND HERE IS SOMEONE THAT SAYS THEY DO TUNING. YES YOU CAN SEND AND THEY CAN READ FILES FROM THE ECU TO KNOW HOW YOUR CAR RESPONDS AND WHAT AREAS CAN AND SHOULD BE TWEAKED.
THESE ARE READ THROUGH THINGS LIKE ADAPTATIONS.AS THEY STATE IN THEIR INFO.
THE ECU ALWAYS READS CURRENT CONDITIONS AND REPSONDS THROUGH THINGS LIKE LONG AND SHORT TERM FUEL TRIMS AND THIS TELLS ANY PERSON THAT KNWOS HOW TO TUNE, THE STATE OF PERFORMANCE OF YOUR ENGINE. THINGS LIKE VACUUM LEAKAGE, POOR PERFORMING INJECTROS ETC.. AND FLASH TUNE BE IT FROM THE FACTORY OR AFTERMARKET TUNER YES IS MORE OF A BROAD BASED TUNE. READING THE ADAPTATIONS IS MORE FINE TUNING, BUT THE FACTORY ECU DOES THE SAME THING UNDER "ITS FACTORY PARAMETERS"
TUNERS WANT TO TWEAK TO GET CLOSER TO A TRUER PERFORMANCE TUNE. YES A DYNO GETS EVEN CLOSER, BUT A LAPTOP UNDER REAL WORLD DRIVING WITH THE TUNER IN THE PASSENGER SEAT IS THE BEST BUT MOST COSTLY.....NOW THE BIGGER ISSUE IS TUNERS WANT TO GIVE YOU THE BIGGEST NUMBERS FOR YOUR MONEY AND AS IVE SEEN AND BEEN VICTIM OF, THIS LEAVES YOU CLOSE TO THE RAGGED EDGE OF RELIABILTY(ENGINE KNOCK. LEAN AFRS ETC AND ENGINE DAMAGE). I DONT WANT THE "MOST" I WANT THE MOST UNDER RELIABLE BROAD CONDITIONS THAT MAY CLOSELY FOLLOW MY MODS TO A VEHICLE. AS AVOS HAS SHOWN ON HIS 200+HP CAR STILL RUNNING FACTORY TUNE. THE FACTORY COMPUTER STILL HANDLES HIS WELL WITHOUT ISSUE.
FOR ANY NAYSAYERS HERE(AND MANY OF YOU HAVE COMPLAINED NO ONES TUNES A JAG) DO YOUR OWN BEFORE AND AFTER DYNOS RUNS, HAVE THESE GUYS TUNE, AND SEE IF YOUR OWN EXPERIANCE SHOWS WHAT YOU GOT APPLES TO APPLES. IN THE MEEN TIME QUIT BITCHN AND PUT YOU MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH HAS BEEN FOR MANY POSTS AND THREADS....THIS ISNT TO SLAM ANYONE OF YOU, BUT AS YOU KNOW IVE DONE MANY LEADING EDGE BUILDS AND KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO HAVE NO ONES DO ANYTHING FOR YOU, AND THEN WHEN SOMEONE DOES NO ONE WANTS TO STEP UP AND SPEND MONEY.... SO COMEON LETS SEE WHAT KIND OF MEMBERS ARE WE

Road King (12-07-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Can we get cliff notes for the above post?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by eds123
Can we get cliff notes for the above post?
I think I got it...I think he means:

Shut up and color and that BMW lug nuts don't weigh a lot...

Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I read their page about "forums" and came off a little confused as to why they would then sponsor this forum if they don't care about forums? Either way, I applaud any company for helping to sponsor this site, it gives us all a place to gather.

Another random thought - I have yet to see a "tuner" website be all that informative. I mean I see price listings, but for what? I'm not picking on this new sponsor, I'm just saying that my "shady" alarm seems to go off on most tuner websites.

bfsgross (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Good afternoon Gents. I wrote this company from their webpage and asked them for some Dyno's before and after on Jaguars that they've enhanced and they responded to me with this.

Hi David,

The gain on the 4.2 SC using 93 octane is around 45rwhp. This is by changing the supercharger pulley and programming the ECU.

We'll also remove the speed limiter/hesitation/flat spots, etc. Shifting will much better and we'll raise the rpm if there's room for improvement.

I'll look for a dyno sheet, we originally tested the engine in 2006. We do at least 90-100 engines a year of the 4.2 and more of the 5.0

We also tune cars for Overfinch NA.

Regards,
Jags

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

bfsgross (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Doesn't the 3lb pulley alone add ~45hp?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Can't wait to see those sheets!

With a few hints maybe they'll add "S-Type" to their site along with the other jags.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know myself but the email makes a claim to smooth out shift points and... possibly get a slightly higher RPM somewhere. I'm working on getting another STR and if all goes will within the next 13 days, I'll have my test dummy.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Just get a money-back guarantee

BTW, read your car's full details with AE before they reflash anything. It can tell you the VIN, CALID, CVN from both PCM & TCM. Keep a note.

Oh, and I suppose check they can restore your factory software if you wish (though anyone with a J2534 tool such as a Drew Tech Mongoose or jag's IDS should be able to).

Old 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Mike, along with complimenting mods, the 3 lb. pulley feels like 50+ hp and mucho more trq.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Whoa, Brutal. You were just "BRUTAL"...in making excellent point.

Quick Reply: STR Guys, New Forum Sponser ECU Tuning Group (ETG)