S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 str cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 03 str cluster

Can anyone tell me if all str’s instrument clusters say supercharged in the cluster. I have an str that doesn’t and was wondering if it may have been changed out.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes our 06 does. Both the tach and speedo say supercharged on them

Old 10-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My other 03 str says supercharged in the cluster as well but this one does not.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

My 04 has it. I think they all did when new.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Correct . . . all s/c engined cars had this . . . same on XKR & XJR . . . but not so on otherwise identical n/a engined cars. So, someone has been at yours, swapping out the original for a far more common "standard" replacement. Makes you question "Why?"

What is interesting is how this variation (and others) was achieved. Instrument dial faces and warning light icons are all printed onto a single and thus wide mylar-like film that is sandwiched into the IC. Beyond the s/c vs n/a you have noted, different films cater for Kph vs Mph as well as the myriad of warning options . . . the range of differing films is impressive!

I note you live in USA but was the car delivered new to US or a later Euro import. I ask because, apart from a prior electrical issue, most common reason for replacing this film (or perhaps entire IC) was for swapping Kph into Mph, or vice versa.

Good news is that new films are available, but because of limited market even on eBay, prices are high . . . and complicated by need to use instrument maker/repairer to remove/reset needles etc.

Bad news, if you think of a full IC swap to one you may find which provides "Supercharged" as well as all the other warning array your car has . . . it will require a full dealer re-assignment as the IC contains car-specific PATS that will immobilize your car as soon as you fit replacement IC.

Cheers,

Ken