Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCM Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default TCM Update

Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing the *lurch* in the transmission almost everybody has talked about on this forum. The discussed fix to it is probably re flash to the Transmission and Engine. I talked to dealer and the guy told me they'll reprogram both TCM and ECM for me.

My question is while I'm having it reprogrammed should I also get my transmission fluid change/transmission service (My car has less than 47K miles on it)

Or just get it re flashed and change the transmission fluid later (60K-70K)?

Or before paying anybody for all the above work, I should hard boot and see if that makes any difference?

What's the actual procedure of Hard Reset and Brake Reset and Transmission Adaption?

Thanks a lot for your answers/suggestions.
-Rizwan

Last edited by RizwanSharp; 03-14-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tcm update

Hi. I am suffering exactly the same thing - I have it booked in for a re-flash - this covers engine and gearbox. Mine has at sometimes got almost undriveable, suddenly dropping into 3rd on coasting and showing a gearbox fault and also staying locked in 3rd. When this happens you cannot select gear manually or get sport and the only way to reset the box is to pull over and restart the engine - then it carries on until it happens again ! I found a solution to this - although only short term (300-600 miles) was to totally disconnect the battery and put the positive lead to body earth and leave for a couple of hours ( it might take less time ,but this suited me whilst at the office) The car then drove well - almost faultless for a while then the jerks etc started to reappear as the tcm started to relearn the faults?
I will have had the re-flash done by the start of next week so will post the results.
I understand that the procedure done correctly to Jag TSB instructions includes eng+g/bx updates and also a test drive to possibly adjust clutch pressures and reset the g/bx adaptations by a correct sequence of driving.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply raygin. Knock on the wood, I have no fault codes and no drivability issues whatsoever. But I feel Lurch when making a stop (when gear down shifts) and then accelerating (without complete stop) there is kind of Bang.

I took my car to a Shop (not a dealer) where I go for maintenance and he told me that he's not aware of any lurch like this and he couldn't find any TSB regarding this... + for the Reflash, I have to take the car to Jaguar.... What he recommended me though was Transmission service to see if that makes nay difference. But I think at less than 47K miles, I might not need it...

Jaguar Dealership quoted me 250$ for TCM and ECM update but that guy was so in hurry he didn't tell me that weather that adaption procedure is part of the update?

How much miles you have on yours? Did you even do Transmission Service/Oil change etc?

Please post the results here so I can make up my mind.

Thanks a lot.

Rizwan

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RizwanSharp
Thanks for the reply raygin. Knock on the wood, I have no fault codes and no drivability issues whatsoever. But I feel Lurch when making a stop (when gear down shifts) and then accelerating (without complete stop) there is kind of Bang.

I took my car to a Shop (not a dealer) where I go for maintenance and he told me that he's not aware of any lurch like this and he couldn't find any TSB regarding this... + for the Reflash, I have to take the car to Jaguar.... What he recommended me though was Transmission service to see if that makes nay difference. But I think at less than 47K miles, I might not need it...

Jaguar Dealership quoted me 250$ for TCM and ECM update but that guy was so in hurry he didn't tell me that weather that adaption procedure is part of the update?

How much miles you have on yours? Did you even do Transmission Service/Oil change etc?

Please post the results here so I can make up my mind.

Thanks a lot.

Rizwan
You might want to visit Brutal since he is in Houston, and your in SA, $250 seems a little steep.

The following users liked this post:
RizwanSharp (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The TSBs etc are on here and the early ones are on "the lurch" site (try google). Have a hunt on here with Search.

+1 on going to Brutal. Just do it

raygin - yours doesn't sound like any of the usual lurches but still the cheapest place to start is likely TCM+PCM and yes they should readapt the clutches (drive with passenger using IDS).

RizwanSharp (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks a lot guys and Idea to take it to Brutal is worth a Million $

I sent him a PM and looking to talk to him.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Thumbs up

Guys,

Just an update. Took my car to Bill (Brutal) and I'm in love with my car again after 2 months of extreme lurch. After test driving the car he told me that this was the worst lurch and shift problems he has ever seen on any car before.

He did the complete transmission service + software update and transmission is butter now

I don't have to tell anyone that how knowledgable and professional he is but he's also a great person to talk to/deal with.

I would definitely go back to him for any work I have on my car

Thanks again for your help and recommendation.

Best Regards,
Rizwan

bfsgross (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey buddy,
I'm glad you resolved your problems finally and are enjoying your car again. Take good care of her and enjoy the ride.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Brutal sounds like a awesome guy...Most on here are the best!

What type of service did he do to your car?
Fluid change?
Fluid and pan change?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Another big thumbs up for Brutal from me!! I live in the Houston area and by luck his dealership was the closest when I still had a warranty. I the pleasure of meeting Bill in person too. A true Jaguar expert and a nice guy to boot!!

His drooping headlight fix is just about the coolest shade tree trick I have ever seen!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jag79
Hey buddy,
I'm glad you resolved your problems finally and are enjoying your car again. Take good care of her and enjoy the ride.
Thanks Tariq

-Rizwan

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by achysklic
Brutal sounds like a awesome guy...Most on here are the best!

What type of service did he do to your car?
Fluid change?
Fluid and pan change?
Yes he did, fluid, pan and connector sleeve and new bolts

Thanks,
Rizwan

Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent!! You're lucky to be close enough to go to him.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Excellent!! You're lucky to be close enough to go to him.
Thanks JagV8, it is around 200 miles one way from my place but it was worth it ...

Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lurch

I have the same issue on a 2001 XJ8, everytime i come to slowing down to stops it down shifts lumpy then lurchs at the final stop. then when rolling round car parks slow its lurching.

When i pull off from stops it randomly lurchs.

and when highway driving at a steady 70 it will "light thump/try to change" and throw a transmission fault amber, but then just continue to drive normal(no limp).

if i preform the hard reset, the car goes back to driving nice again..for a while then i go back to the same problem

I am too in Houston i would like to contact this Brutal Fellow to get the same opperation done...Can you help me plz.

Mike.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Why don't you send him a PM and see if he is interested?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

It's a different autobox but +1 on PM to Brutal because he knows a lot about a lot of jags.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norri
Why don't you send him a PM and see if he is interested?

I sent him a PM but it looks like hes taking some time out..will wait for him to respond, its got to be electrical due to the hard reset.

When i hard reset the car its rolls absolulty beautiful for about a day, then it starts going ape **** again.

I want to get this TCM/ECM flash done first before i concider having the Trans Rebuilt, i really dont think it's a mechanical issue.

Not to say that i couldn't be a celunoid going bad some place internal.

Will wait for Brutal to Message back.

thanks.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if anyone knows of a good place to have this service done in Southern California? Thanks,

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Don't forget that low fluid level can cause all kinds of problems too. So be careful about just doing the TCM reflash. We know the sealing sleeve is very leak prone and after thousands of miles you could be down 1 or more liters of transmission fluid.

Quick Reply: TCM Update