S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under plastic cowl "insulation"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes it's weird how that "insulation" has disappeared on these cars. I'm guessing that the first time these panels come off (new windshield in my case) it's such a mess that they just toss it out. I'm going out of town in less than a week so my car will just sit with a cover over it. I'll finish getting it apart when I get back unless it all goes very smoothly very suddenly ... I'll order parts after it's all apart. I think I'll pickup this insulation at a dealer. It looks very fragile. Maybe I'll spray it with truck bed liner to see if that makes it hold together better??? It would also keep it from getting water logged unless the coating gets a tear and allows water to get in? Then what a mess ...

Fixing OEM flaws ... what fun.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Well its nice cowl rusting sponge. So im glad its gone. They get wet and just sit there rusting away the metal around it

Old 07-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
Well its nice cowl rusting sponge. So im glad its gone. They get wet and just sit there rusting away the metal around it
Water is not supposed to get in there in the first place ... yeah sure ... that's why I think the spray might help? The insulation on the firewall is fiberglass with a plastic face but if water gets in the edge it will sit there too.

As I said in another thread ... the manufactures not only want to save nickles on each car they also don't want you hanging on to them this long.

For the S-Types they hit hat mark pretty well. There's no end to the stuff that will fail on this car ...

My headliner came down last time out after doing a global open and then driving off ... It's still perfect in my nearly 50 year old Lamborghini but lord that car does have some other issues LOL.

I imagine an upholstery shop will be able to fix this in a day.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Water is not supposed to get in there in the first place ... yeah sure ... that's why I think the spray might help? The insulation on the firewall is fiberglass with a plastic face but if water gets in the edge it will sit there too.

As I said in another thread ... the manufactures not only want to save nickles on each car they also don't want you hanging on to them this long.

For the S-Types they hit hat mark pretty well. There's no end to the stuff that will fail on this car ...

My headliner came down last time out after doing a global open and then driving off ... It's still perfect in my nearly 50 year old Lamborghini but lord that car does have some other issues LOL.

I imagine an upholstery shop will be able to fix this in a day.
naybe a previous owner was a smoker. i heard the smoke kills headliner glue

Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Clever Idea, on the materials front, Underfloor insulation. Should be easy enough to get the materials specs as well, Since home H&S is well documented.
Also a good source for an underbonnet template material.
Thumbs up for that. JYA Post no.8

Bydand

Last edited by bydand; 07-14-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: referencing what I am refering too.