Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under supercharger coolant hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under supercharger coolant hose leak

2003 jaguar s type r 135xxx miles.

I have been having coolant hose issues for quite awhile now. The typical swelling and eventual bursting of the hose right by where it makes contact with metal. I think I had 3 or 4 burst. Two I think we're small diameter long hoses so I just cut off the end and re attached with no problem. The most recent was the large diameter short hose under the front of the supercharger. Got about an inch and a half long tear in it. Also just replaced the radiator because the top radiator hose attachment broke off (no this was not a hose that I had cut off and made shorter)

I checked the reference numbers on autozones orange coolant and the Ford (jaguar) number was listed so I used it and then stupidly assumed all orange coolants would meet the specification. I noticed while looking at a container of napa orange coolant that the Ford (and also chrysler) reference numbers are not on the napa coolant, only the gm number. I'm guessing this could also be part of why all my coolant related stuff is falling apart.

Anyways I then started noticing that coolant was leaking from the back of the engine. With a little research I of course found that this was likely because of the throttle body coolant hose. After spending quite a few hours tearing it apart I finally got to the hose in question to find it bulging but no breaks.

After more searching (and confusion about the odd airspace built into the top of the block that connects to the flywheel) I found that the large diameter aluminum coolant hose flange on top of the engine was leaking between it and the block. Judging by coolant marks on the block it looks like this had been leaking for a very long time, and was causing coolant to go to the front and back of the engine.

I have a theory.... I noticed that the block has 4 bolt holes but the flange only has 3. I'm guessing that they had to do this because of the changes on the engine and specifically the intake to fit it in the s type. Anyways my friend and I built a flange to use that last bolt hole upon re assembly.

I suppose my point in posting this is to warn people to check this flange if your going to spend the 15 hours needed to do this repair. I would be pissed to spend that much time (or money taking it someplace, I saw a quote for 1800 somewhere) to put it all back together and still have a leak.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by kert1224
2003 jaguar s type r 135xxx miles.

I have been having coolant hose issues for quite awhile now. The typical swelling and eventual bursting of the hose right by where it makes contact with metal. I think I had 3 or 4 burst. Two I think we're small diameter long hoses so I just cut off the end and re attached with no problem. The most recent was the large diameter short hose under the front of the supercharger. Got about an inch and a half long tear in it. Also just replaced the radiator because the top radiator hose attachment broke off (no this was not a hose that I had cut off and made shorter)

I checked the reference numbers on autozones orange coolant and the Ford (jaguar) number was listed so I used it and then stupidly assumed all orange coolants would meet the specification. I noticed while looking at a container of napa orange coolant that the Ford (and also chrysler) reference numbers are not on the napa coolant, only the gm number. I'm guessing this could also be part of why all my coolant related stuff is falling apart.

Anyways I then started noticing that coolant was leaking from the back of the engine. With a little research I of course found that this was likely because of the throttle body coolant hose. After spending quite a few hours tearing it apart I finally got to the hose in question to find it bulging but no breaks.

After more searching (and confusion about the odd airspace built into the top of the block that connects to the flywheel) I found that the large diameter aluminum coolant hose flange on top of the engine was leaking between it and the block. Judging by coolant marks on the block it looks like this had been leaking for a very long time, and was causing coolant to go to the front and back of the engine.

I have a theory.... I noticed that the block has 4 bolt holes but the flange only has 3. I'm guessing that they had to do this because of the changes on the engine and specifically the intake to fit it in the s type. Anyways my friend and I built a flange to use that last bolt hole upon re assembly.

I suppose my point in posting this is to warn people to check this flange if your going to spend the 15 hours needed to do this repair. I would be pissed to spend that much time (or money taking it someplace, I saw a quote for 1800 somewhere) to put it all back together and still have a leak.
I hope you changed the O Ring within the flange before reassembly..

Old 12-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

You are creating much trouble in the future. Be aware that coolant hoses are wear items. The failure mode you noticed is called ECD. It will fail close to where it connects to metal. That hose is shot and needs replaced it will leak again.

Change all of your coolant hoses.

I have changed all of mine after having 3 separate pinhole leaks in 3 different hoses.

Yes there is a lot on the R. I think we have seen between 18 and 22 listed as the number of hoses.

As was posted above the O-ring has failed and you can see it in your picture.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (12-22-2015)