S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Outside Temp sensor located for 04 4.2L

Old 10-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where is Outside Temp sensor located for 04 4.2L

My LCD reading, displayed for the current outside temp. seems to be affected by engine heat,, the sensors reading changes by quite a lot, now the problem only occurs if I'm idling a while, like if i'm waiting in line at a drive thru it will go up 10-15 degrees, although my engine temp gauge won't change, after starting back driving a while its drops back down to the correct temp. I've done some work on my car and wonder if I didn't seal back properly something around were the sensor is located,, causing it now to be affected by engine heat, I don't think the part is bad as it gives right reading otherwise I just noticed it over the summer when display was on w/ ac running. anybody have this issue or know where its located??? thxs

Old 10-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Behind the lower grill.

The following users liked this post:
LoganR (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ControlIssues
Behind the lower grill.
Hi ControlIssues
That gets me in the right direction, at least, and may be reason why I'm having an issue, as I removed frt end to fix headlamps. and maybe I did put it back exactly right, or moved a covering or something allowing excess engine heat to come into contact with sensor.

Thanks again, Also If you know,,, Is there a diagram showing what area should look like. or most importantly the exact spot where sensor is,,, like what side of the lower grill its located on, do you know what is it called/looks like in case I need to find a part number.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 PM

Behind the lower grill.
I thought I found it, in middle of lower grill at fog light level, used a hair dryer to verify, but no temp change occurred, not sure if need to be driving for sensor to update though. so just want to verify if i'm correct.

Last edited by LoganR; 10-04-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

It's right in the centre cliped up to the bumper beam .
Just under the no# plate

LoganR (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

It's going to look like this one on an X Type.

LoganR (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
It's right in the centre cliped up to the bumper beam .
Just under the no# plate
Originally Posted by Norri
It's going to look like this one on an X Type.

Thanks to both of you, that photo is exactly what I have, I guess the hair dryer in garage won't change temp reading, unless it needs to be done for more than a few minutes.
I think the s-type sensor just not use to triple digit heat, now that our temps are under 100 I don't see that issue, over the summer anytime it was above 105 and I idled for a while the reading go up, once I got moving it would go down, I was thinking it was from engine heat, but now think could have been from road heat too, sensor is only 14 inches off the ground, or a combination of the things. my engine temp gauge stayed normal, my families taller suv don't have that issue in high heat. glad its not a problem.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi,

This item we are talking of, is not of complex construction. It is a temperature sensitive resistor, termed thermistor, that increases resistance in accordance to temperature, on a predetermined curve understood by the controller.

What is happening on your car? Is it truly picking up heat of the street? I believe that unlikely. You have not detailed the positioning you may have found this sensor in, is it in contact with a heat source? The A/C condenser perhaps? That device will run higher than ambient conditions while being operated. You did mention A/C operation in your original post.

A weak connection at the plug? Internally damaged wires, pinched, etc? Perhaps the sensor is beat? This thing is getting a bit old, and has seen some wear and tear. They aren't expensive, so you could just throw a new one in for good measure.

Keep this in mind, when electronic parts expire , their behavior becomes erratic and inconsistent toward the error produced. While currently the sensor tends to read high, should it begin to read low, the A/C will be held out, and your climate control will attempt to cool your cabin with mistaken quality of outdoor air.

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

it's cheap - just change it.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Hi,

This item we are talking of, is not of complex construction. It is a temperature sensitive resistor, termed thermistor, that increases resistance in accordance to temperature, on a predetermined curve understood by the controller.

What is happening on your car? Is it truly picking up heat of the street? I believe that unlikely. You have not detailed the positioning you may have found this sensor in, is it in contact with a heat source? The A/C condenser perhaps? That device will run higher than ambient conditions while being operated. You did mention A/C operation in your original post.

A weak connection at the plug? Internally damaged wires, pinched, etc? Perhaps the sensor is beat? This thing is getting a bit old, and has seen some wear and tear. They aren't expensive, so you could just throw a new one in for good measure.

Keep this in mind, when electronic parts expire , their behavior becomes erratic and inconsistent toward the error produced. While currently the sensor tends to read high, should it begin to read low, the A/C will be held out, and your climate control will attempt to cool your cabin with mistaken quality of outdoor air.

Steve
I didn't notice a issue until heat of summer, I live in Phoenix area and temp of 110 -116 are common, not an option the a/c is running(had it checked & serviced in july), we still getting temps in the 90's but I don't see problem anymore, but I'm leaning toward its extreme heat that causes misread while at Idle, as issue corrects itself when moving and at lower temps it reads correct even if idling, I was concerned being my first summer with it. I like your comment on part maybe going out, it is old I will replace it anyway, JagV8 posted its cheap part, Thanks