Sponsored by:

Why should I buy.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2004 OR 05 most of the kinks are out.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an STR and an X Type Sportwagon. The STR is much more substantial in ride and luxury. The X Type is my wifes car and is excellent for winter driving with all wheel drive. I don't drive my STR in the winter as I have a Land Rover for that duty.

Both my jags have less than 25k mileage. Both have been trouble free and I enjoy them both but much prefer the STR. If you don't want the STR hotrod than choose an 05-06 S-Type with 4.2. Better motor that gets comparable mileage to the V6.

I find the X-Type in a word tinnier with less upmarket presence. You just have to close the door on the X-Type compared to the S-Type R and you get it. Better sound system - I could go on.

Go to TexasCarsDirect.com and look over their inventory. They are excellent to deal with and straight shooters. I bought both jags from them. The STR I drove home from Dallas with no co-pilot back to Canada (behaved like a juvenile delinquent who stole it) and had the other shipped. I bought them both sight unseen and they were exactly as they called 'em. Mint with very low miles, complete history and clean CarFax.

The advice I provide you is worth exactly what ya paid for it.

Good luck...

Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with searanch and also agree they are good to deal with, just ask lots of questions as you would anything.

Id say get an 03 or newer (for reliability) s type. Im assuming that fits your budget better since youre comparing it to the X.

I personally dont care for the Xs that much but its me, id be the person buying the S for the same price. However, im sure some prefer the X for different reasons over the S.

Go drive both locally even if they arent the car you would buy!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I've owned both

I've owned 2 X-Types - an 03 2.5 and an 06 3.0. A month ago I swapped my X Type for an 06 S-Type 4.2 VDP. My observations on the 2 models:

The X Type handles a bit better, rides stiffer, and has better foul weather capability with its AWD. The 3.0 X Type is a bit quicker than the 3.0 S-Type, but, is no match for the 4.2 S Type. The X-Type is an entry level car, the S is not, and, the S feels much more substantial. At interstate speeds, the S is very quiet inside, the X has a fair amount of drivetrain noise. My 4.2 S-Type gets about 4 MPG better overall fuel economy than my 3.0 X Type did. The X Type has a larger trunk than the S, but, less back seat room. The interior and seats in the S are much more luxurious, and, appear to be of higher grade materials than the 2 X types I owned. The X Types have 5 speed transmissions, and, the S Types have 6 speeds. I really enjoyed the 2 X Types I owned, but, my S-Type reminds me of a very competent muscle car dressed up in a tuxedo. Hope this helps.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

My opinion, I would say get the S. Both X and S are shared platform cars from Ford's ownership. The X is shared with the Ford Mondeo (ie Ford Contour.). It was the next generation, not the one we had here. The S was a shared platform with the Lincoln LS. That platform also became the short lived Ford Thunderbird Convertible.
Now here is where the X fans will get mad. Disclaimer:this is my opinion. The X type is based on a front drive car and has a transverse mounted drive train. The transaxle is adapted to make the car all wheel drive. This applies to North America only, the X is available in other markets as a front driver. I don't happen to like the feel of a car designed as a front driver. I have also driven the X and find it to be less refined than the S.
Now the S type, while a shared platform, was more like an engineering collaboration. Both Ford and Jaguar shared in the development. Jag wanted something to compete in the "executive" class in Europe and NA (i.e. the BMW 5 and Mercedes E) and Lincoln just wanted something to compete with the Euro makes in America. It is a very sound design. So sound in fact, that the new XF is actually based on the S. Also, it served as the starting point for the Mustang, but after cost cutting, there wasn't much left.
I agree with the opinion that the 4.2 S is the best to get. 03 and up will be the most refined and "bug" free. The non-supercharged V8 cars get equivalent mpg to the six. The X, while smaller, suffers from drivetrain drag, therefore doesn't get any better mpg than the S.
I would look at select edition certified cars, since these will carry a very good warranty with them. The final choice would have to be based on condition and how it feels to drive. It needs to be something that your comfortable in, and enjoy.
Good Luck

Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ang3l forget the S and X. Get an XJ from www.texascarsdirect.com and call it a day.

If not get an S. '03 and up. Always check around on ebay and buy from a reputable dealership. I bought my car second hand from www.thecollection.com BEST dealership in all of Florida. Browsed there inventory online, found what I liked, and wired them the money. They shipped my car here to CT for 500 dollars. (Might be a bit more now)

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

As most folks have already told you, go with the S-Type. I think it is the best bang-for-the-buck luxury sedan out there, so affordable if you buy at least three model years old. Low-mileage like-new 2005 and 2006 S-Types, most of them coming off 3-year leases, can easily be found for well under $20,000. Go to autotrader.com and take a look at the S-Types available in your area and then go test-drive some of them. You'll quickly understand why many of us believe that the S-Type is such a great deal right now....

Good luck to you....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-24-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Angel, technically you are now armed with the differences between the X and S. There are afew creature comforts you should consider when purchasing your new S.
*Do you live in a cold climate, find 1 with heated seats.
*Do you have or planning children, choose the S more room for car seats.
*Are you a speed freak, choose the "R" package
One other thing TRY to find one with the 100,000 mile warranty.

My wife and I searched for a month and a half to find our S at an exceptional price and are pleased with the 3.0 for our family.
Happy hunting
Rick

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-24-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with an 03 S-type 3.0. It is gold with 53,000 miles on it. It cost me $10,000. I could have gotten it for less, but I got a car I liked for the price of an 07 Chevy Cobalt.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I"m encouraged by everything I'm reading about www.txdirect.com here. I'm soon to purchase an '07 XK8 and they seem to have the best prices in Texas and their inventory seems refreshed often...