Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washer not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Windshield washer not working

My mother in law has a 2003 S-Type (with about 23k miles on it!!!) and the windshield washer fluid isn't squirting out. I took some of the plastic screw rivets out that holds the hoodliner in place and did the following...

I disconnected the fluid hose from the passenger's side nozzle and blew into it -- since I could hear bubbling in the reservoir, I figured there wasn't anything blocking the fluid between the tank and the first nozzle.

Then I disconnected the hose that runs between the two nozzles, blew into it and had no blockage there, either.

So, I stuck a pin into the nozzles, they came out clean so I tried blowing into the nozzle (from the back, in the direction of the fluid flow) -- I could hear a slight whine or whistle so I figured the air was getting through.

I reconnected everything and the passenger's side nozzle sprayed but the driver's side nozzle just oozed black gunk!!!! I have no idea where that came from since I had taken the hose off from betwen the two nozzles and blew into it and didn't notice any restrictions. After a minute or two, the black gunk stopped coming out and both nozzles quit working!

I stuck the pin in both nozzles again and nothing would come out.

I took off the hose from the passenger's side and blew back into the tank - it seemed to be restrictive this time (but I had just filled the tank up to the top so I thought it was resisting because there just wasn't much room to blow!) - I did hear bubbling in the tank.

I hooked it back up -- nothing comes out of either nozzle.

I took the hose off the passenger's side and tried it again to see if anything came out of the hose -- nothing came out.

The pump sounds fine to me (as if I'm qualified to say that!), so I'm thinking it's got gunk in the bottom of the tank.

At this point I ran out of sunlight and time -- will have to re-visit this issue soon.

Any suggestions? Should I try to remove the tank and clean it out? Is that a difficult process?

Also, where's a good source for the plastic screw rivets? I checked two local parts stores -- one had a package of two for $1.99 but they weren't exactly the same size. The other store didn't have any. I found some online at Jagbits, but they want $2.95 each, and another online source wants $1.02 but charges $33 shipping!!!! I thought something like this would be available in bulk for a reasonable price, but maybe not. Should I check with the local dealership?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by OldMike; 02-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gunk

Since the vehicle has not been driven very much there is problably Gunk "technical term" in washer jug. Washer jug needs to be cleaned out. Remove washer pump and rubber grommet and clean both.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ditto

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagMaSteR0917
Since the vehicle has not been driven very much there is problably Gunk "technical term" in washer jug. Washer jug needs to be cleaned out. Remove washer pump and rubber grommet and clean both.
Is it pretty self-explanatory, or is there a diagram or photos of how to remove it?

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Grab JTIS as it'll likely have some details. Or struggle a bit with Advanced Search here (so you can restrict to just this forum) as I think it's been covered before.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

One day I had the front bumper skin off (just for the hell of it) and had access to the washer reservoir, I would not recommend that route.

I believe I read awhile ago that if you remove the curbside inner wheel well its a much easier approach.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

I think that was done by someone over here (and is still hard, sadly). OldMike - Maybe check UK forum.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

It was a long time ago JagV8 and I don't visit the UK forum or anyother Jaguar forum for the matter. IIRC it was Brutal but again 3~4 years ago.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, could be. Think it may have been Victor on UK forum.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the tips. I did find this thread -- https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-fixed-47950/ and it seems to have some good stuff to try before ripping off parts of the car to get to it. I especially like the idea of cleaning windshields with diapers (with the baby in them!) LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing fluid

My washer is not working. I think I might have used anti freeze by mistake instead of wiper fluid. Woud that cause it not to work?

Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't think that antifreeze would ruin the washers, or the reservoir, but I'd clean it out real good right away, and don't spill it on the ground -- animals (cats and dogs) love the stuff but it kills them.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

I was had the opportunity to look at the washer reservoir while the car was on a lift getting the oil changed and there's no gunk in the tank. I flushed it out real good last week because there WAS some black gunk floating in the tank. I took Simple Green and water and a hose with lots of pressure and really blasted the tank from the fill tube.

BUT, the washers still don't work. The pump runs, but nothing comes out.

The mechanic blasted some compressed air into the nozzles on the hood and I've had the hoses under the hood liner off and I can comfortably say that they aren't clogged.

The mechanic thinks it's a "weak" pump and wants 2.5 hours labor to replace it. Universal pumps are only about $15 (would that do the trick?) and I'm waiting for a price from a Jaguar parts supplier.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Unhook the hose from the pump at the reservoir. Then see if the fluid comes out. With 23K on the car I find it hard to believe the pump is weak. It still sounds like a restriction somewhere and I would hate for you to get an expensive pump and still have the problem. The screen might be restricted inside the reservoir too. I would remove the pump from the tank to inspect the inlet screen.

I would check to see what the Lincoln LS pump goes for from Ford if you do decide to replace it. I would even get a used one as these pumps are rarely reported to fail.

OldMike (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

If I put the front of the car on jack stands, can I remove the front passenger wheel and wheel liner and access the pump from the "outside?" When the car was on the lift, it was easy to see the tank, but couldn't even see the pump from underneath the car. BTW The tank looked nice and clean.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well, six months later and this S-Type is now my car and I want to fix this problem once and for all. Does anyone have the JTIS diagram that might help me locate and remove the pump, or in the alternative, can any one tell me in detail how to do it? Per my previous post, I was under the car when it was on a lift and I couldn't tell immediately how to access the pump, so I'm wondering (as I asked before) if I can do this job with the car on jack stands or better yet, ramps?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to fixing this problem and I think I have to access the pump to see what's going on.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Mike as I recall you access the pump from underneath the passenger side front fascia.

You will have to remove the forward most belly pan, its been awhile since I had Joyces all apart but as I recall as well its a bit tight of an area.

I did a write in the "How To" section here on removing the front bumper that will aid in removing the forward most belly pan.

OldMike (11-10-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

I'll try to find the bumper removal thread and also will check the JTIS to see of there's an R&R section for the washer pump.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Someone - I think member Victor - did it on the UK forum. I think without removing the bumper.

Some have suggested Steradent (false teeth cleaner) tablet(s)!

Try to be sure it's the pump as access is dire so you don't want to struggle only to find it's not the pump!!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

I think there is a way of pulling back the inner wheel well to access the pump as well. The bumper does not have to be removed just the lower front belly pan IIRC.

Agreed have someone stand near the passenger front corner of vehicle and engage the pump from inside and see if you hear the pump kinda hum, if so it would be a blocked line which is more common.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer not working