S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XF Fuel Tank in STR

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default XF Fuel Tank in STR

I now have an XF tank in the S-Type. It took a bit of step-by-step interactions but Jaguar Corporate paid for this after it was confirmed that my tank was not replaced under the 2007 recall. I've only owned the car since about 2012 but the leak just appeared about one month ago.

The fix included all new XF fitting in the tank including pump and new module. I will need to return it again as the fuel sender periodically does not send any signal or similar.

I advise that if your S-type leaks fuel to contact Jaguar. They did take care of this for me although I have one remaining issue.

The following 3 users liked this post by David_h:
Datsports (09-10-2016), JagV8 (09-10-2016), Robinb (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Wow. Very interesting.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Ill say it is ! now that is standing buy your/or/previous company owners product .
good on you Jaguar!!
how do you prove the TSB was not completed ? sounds like a battle may have occurred.
and does it affect the 2003 model would be my next question ?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Being safety-related it was a recall I believe, and was long after 2003. Your government ought to (it really should, but does it...) have a list of all recalls you can consult.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

if they do then i have just never heard of it . shouldn't be hard to find out . i will research it some . thank fully i don't have a fuel leak though , so it will be fairly well down on the list of to do jobs .

Old 09-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

By way of example
DVSA - Vehicle Recalls

Datsports (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member

thanks jag v8 . i had a quick search and sure enough found the new zealand land transport agency recall data bace .
the only ones listed for jaguar were for x-type and xf .
no s-type recalls at all .
but worryingly the first xf one i opened was this .

Recall Information

Make:

Model:

Jaguar

XF -- 2010
XF -- 2011
XF -- 2012

Statement:

A concern has been identified where the fuel tank fuel outlet flange on 5.0L Gasoline engine derivative XF vehicles may crack.

Instructions:

Contact your preferred Jaguar approved service centre without delay.

Jaguar New Zealand

Name:

Email:
JLR Recalls

jaguartechnical@motorcorp.co.nz

isn't this the fuel system they just fitted to the O/P' car to fix a fuel leak issue ?

Old 09-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Let's hope they didn't fit an old 5.0 tank (which they probably didn't).

Old 09-10-2016, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Let's hope they didn't fit an old 5.0 tank (which they probably didn't).
They quoted $4k in parts and $1k in labor so likely new parts. I wonder if the new pump delivery rate is equal to the STR which I read was greater than non-supercharged. I'll add that to my questions for them.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Here's the Canadian recall notice

Recall Details

Robinb (09-11-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same fitment done to my car two years ago. As I was told, my car was the first application of this Frankenstein-fix My fuel delivery rate looks to be fine, since the power is the same as when I got the car (pre tank replacement). I'm within a couple tenths of the advertised 0-60mph times on 92 octane (and considerably below it on 110 race fuel).

The only issue I have was something that existed before the tank swap, and that is that I have Evaporative Emissions codes constantly. Large Leak/Cap Off, etc. I've been basically ignoring them. Well, not entirely true - I did replace the Evap purge valve, which did nothing.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 10-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the info Ken. I have the very large EVAP leak after the tank replacement. The dealer first tried to replace the newly installed tank sensor. I guess they could not reliably test it's function. Next they indicated that the alternator may be the culprit as not making enough voltage. After the alternator replacement they haven't gotten any codes return.

While I am on vacation for two weeks they are going to drive it a bit to reset the monitors. I need it to pass my biannual California smog check uoon my return.

How will your car pass a smog test with EVAP codes?
David_h

Old 10-03-2016, 02:36 PM

Funny that you mention it. My car will come up for emissions testing next year, I believe. In my case, I doubt the alternator is the problem - but it could be.

Tell me, when your ECU was attempting to test the evap system, did you hear a rather loud pulsing, groaning sound coming from the vicinity of the fuel pump(s) (under the rear seat)?

Ken

Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM

My current working theory is a bad canister purge solenoid.

My fuel trims indicate some sort of possible vacuum or boost leak. At idle, I appear to be running lean (slightly positive trims), and under brisk acceleration the trims go a bit negative which looks like a rich condition. Could be a consequence of the interface module they fabricated to mate the XF tank to my STR not quite interpreting the PWM commands correctly. However, this, coupled with the trim numbers being off a bit, lead me to thinking there's an air leak somewhere.

I've replaced: evap purge valve + resonator, crankcase vent valve, found and repaired a few cracks in the intake plenum. Since the car has a totally different fuel tank and pump assembly from the XF, I'm going to feel "safe" in ruling out the faulty S-Type flange/seal issue.

I'm running out of ideas of what to replace or test down the evap circuit.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by KenAdamson
Funny that you mention it. My car will come up for emissions testing next year, I believe. In my case, I doubt the alternator is the problem - but it could be.

Tell me, when your ECU was attempting to test the evap system, did you hear a rather loud pulsing, groaning sound coming from the vicinity of the fuel pump(s) (under the rear seat)?

Ken

Hi Ken.
Yes I did hear such a noise. It was. Periodic noise near the fuel tank that I describe as a deep bass thrumming sound. They finally heard it too and say that it has not been heard since the recent work.

They have been doing the diagnostics and at one point were also at a dead end until the alternator theory. Also, my car has ore-existing lean condition likely due to leaky injector seals. That leak appears to have self abated somewhat to where it does not trigge codes. Fuel trim values are still off I'm sure.

When I return ill ask more questions on their diagnostic atrategies in case it might help you too.

David_h
2005 STR
1972 XJ6

Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 PM

Yeah, that sounds like what I'm hearing. Odd that replacing the alternator fixed that. If you wouldn't mind digging a little bit into that, I'm curious if they replaced it with the OEM unit for the STR, or if they put in an up-rated model? Since I'm about to consider replacing the canister purge solenoid, I'd like to make sure I'm chasing the correct rabbit

Cheers,

Ken

Old 10-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

I had my tank replaced under warranty not long after I bought the car with the extended warranty. The fuel gauge was always wacky. Now I wonder if that also fixed this issue?

At the time it was very difficult to find out what service had been done on the car, Jaguar was most uncooperative saying I had to query each dealer.

It's a plastic tank, it's Jaguar so I guess I should expect trouble. I'm on my third plastic coolant tank and it leaks from the get go. Just not very much but if it were gasoline OMG!

Good to hear that the dealer in Mill Valley is doing this though. I wonder if that's because California has much stricter consumer and environmental laws/regulations than NJ?

I'm going to call the dealer who installed my new tanks and see what they say. They've been pretty good but declined to look at my steering rack shuddering at low speeds when I turn the wheel. It's now a much bigger issue of course.

Update: Well this is interesting. I checked my records and I had both fuel tank senders replaced not the tank(s). But I called an asked and the dealership says my car doesn't show as listed for being eligible for this repair/recall campaign.

I guess I don't need it but your car did?

Curious.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-04-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM

The recall directions were to try the seals, then the pumps, then the tank. On my car, the notes attached to the VIN (which Jag USA had) said that the recall work had been carried out by a dealer in Arizona. The tech at the dealer here let me take a picture of the seals, and the BROKEN clamp ring (which has since been redesigned). It was his opinion that the recall work had not actually been carried out, but that the dealer had used some sort of sealant then billed Jag for the full amount of the work.

They replaced the seals and the clamp ring. No good.

They replaced the pumps. No good.

They went to order a tank and hit a brick wall. This model year has something peculiar about the tanks, and they were very low production, so there is no new-old stock on them. A junked tank is completely out of the question, so I got to be the first (according to the Jag USA tech they sent out with a new XF tank) to have this transplant. There is a new module in the trunk (behind the panel in the right side of the trunk next to the fuel fill) which mediates between the car's ECM and the pumps/sensors of the new tank. If it weren't a custom piece of unicorn gear, I would tear it down and dump the code Since there is no way to get another one, I'm terrified it will fail.

I need to pull up the seat and chase the lines to see what is plugged into the new module vs. the car's CANBUS module. The issue I'm having with the vent solenoid could have to do with a voltage drop across the new module, the battery, the alternator, or it could be a bug in the code in the new module.

If I put gas in the car every day, and keep it above 3/4 tank, I never get the evap error - maybe that's the solution

Ken

Old 10-06-2016, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

The recall directions were to try the seals, then the pumps, then the tank. On my car, the notes attached to the VIN (which Jag USA had) said that the recall work had been carried out by a dealer in Arizona. The tech at the dealer here let me take a picture of the seals, and the BROKEN clamp ring (which has since been redesigned). It was his opinion that the recall work had not actually been carried out, but that the dealer had used some sort of sealant then billed Jag for the full amount of the work.

They replaced the seals and the clamp ring. No good.

They replaced the pumps. No good.

They went to order a tank and hit a brick wall. This model year has something peculiar about the tanks, and they were very low production, so there is no new-old stock on them. A junked tank is completely out of the question, so I got to be the first (according to the Jag USA tech they sent out with a new XF tank) to have this transplant. There is a new module in the trunk (behind the panel in the right side of the trunk next to the fuel fill) which mediates between the car's ECM and the pumps/sensors of the new tank. If it weren't a custom piece of unicorn gear, I would tear it down and dump the code Since there is no way to get another one, I'm terrified it will fail.

I need to pull up the seat and chase the lines to see what is plugged into the new module vs. the car's CANBUS module. The issue I'm having with the vent solenoid could have to do with a voltage drop across the new module, the battery, the alternator, or it could be a bug in the code in the new module.

If I put gas in the car every day, and keep it above 3/4 tank, I never get the evap error - maybe that's the solution

Ken
Sounds like a nightmare.

If you don't mind I'm curious about your vin # to see how far apart we are and whether mine is newer or older. All I get from Jag is a stonewall saying my car doesn't need it and that may be accurate. I'm having to no issues at the moment. But this sort of issue is deeply concerning as it's a recipe for sending the car to an early grave just because the manufacturer was incompetent and now can't address it properly.
I thought they had fixed everything but if you're still getting codes that's bad?

Old 10-06-2016, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

The tech at the dealer here let me take a picture of the seals, and the BROKEN clamp ring (which has since been redesigned). It was his opinion that the recall work had not actually been carried out, but that the dealer had used some sort of sealant then billed Jag for the full amount of the work.
Sounds like they almost got away with it, too.

Quick Reply: XF Fuel Tank in STR