F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting offer by the GM at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Interesting offer by the GM at the dealership

Took my 2017 F-Type R in for its 1 year anniversary service on Saturday. I asked them to fix the rear lower diffuser, as it is loose and gaps are developing where the ends meet the body of the car - this is an issue that’s been discussed on this forum. I asked them to look at the rear hatch cover too. The rubber seal on the front end of it never stays on and the pins that it pivots on just barely rest in their respective cradle mounts.

They kept my car, gave me a loaner and ordered new replacements.

As I’m leaving, the GM approaches me and says, “Your Jaguar F-Type R fits the criteria of high demand vehicles we are looking for.” He says he’ll put together some offers to buy it outright or trade it for a 2018 SVR sitting on the lot.

I told him unless you are making an offer I can’t refuse, not to bother.

I get home from work today and receive a fed ex letter from the GM saying, “I’d be willing to pay significantly over book value if we can get something done this week to save me a trip to auction!”

The letter offers the following website:www.barrettjaguar
APPRPAGE.COM and a customer ID# that I’m to input to receive the quote.

So I bite. The outcome from the website and ID# tells me they will offer me book value plus $1,000.

Went to kbb.com and it says the fair market range for my car is $89,995-$100,195 with a fair purchase price of, $92,750.

On top of this, while I was waiting at the dealership, I asked a sales rep why they only had 2 F-types on the lot. One is a 2018 F-Type S convertible and the other is the 2018 SVR in question.

His response was that Jaguar is limiting the sale of any future F-types by order only, as they want to help maintain the valuation of the cars outstanding.

What do you all make of all this?

BTW, I bought my 2017 F-Type R for less than the fair purchase price of $92,750 plus $1,000 and it’s loaded with options.

Last edited by Andy2017; 09-24-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,143 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Can't offer you any advice being in a completely different country and market, but "future sales by order only" (ie no more dealer demos) sounds ominous to me.
That smells to me that the F-Type is on it's deathbed and will be discontinued in the not too distant future, especially as here in Oz a sizeable whack of F-Type sales have been dealer demos.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
dmchao (09-25-2018), SinF (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I guess the question is what are they asking for the SVR??

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That smells to me that the F-Type is on it's deathbed and will be discontinued in the not too distant future, especially as here in Oz a sizeable whack of F-Type sales have been dealer demos.
That’s what I was thinking the whole time he was talking.

Conversion to electric crossed my mind too.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I guess the question is what are they asking for the SVR??
I’m not interested in it unless it’s an equal trade or better. And I doubt they want to make that kind of a deal.

I feel this way mostly because it’s gray with a black interior with red stitching on the seats. It has the carbon fiber package on the exterior but the interior trim is aluminum. The car simply doesn’t do it for me compared to my F-type R.

As a result, I didn’t bother to ask.

Frankly, I’m just going to blow it off unless they make some sort of unusual offer that would be silly to refuse.

I just wanted to post what was going on because the whole thing seems odd to me and was interested in others opinion on the whole thing. It does make me wonder about the the F-type moving forward.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

"they will offer me book value plus $1,000." Typically when a dealer mentions "Book Value" what they are referring to is Trade-In Value, not Market Value, which can be significantly lower. Call me a skeptic, but I would want to know the exact value of the offer

The following 2 users liked this post by IndyCruiser:
Don1954 (09-25-2018), SinF (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by IndyCruiser
"they will offer me book value plus $1,000." Typically when a dealer mentions "Book Value" what they are referring to is Trade-In Value, not Market Value, which can be significantly lower. Call me a skeptic, but I would want to know the exact value of the offer
I agree.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyCruiser
Another trick they often play is "black book" value rather than KBB so not only do they try to buy them cheap, they try to buy even cheaper than TRUE "market". I had something similar happen with my 750iL when I agreed to trade it in for our X5. They tried to claim that their "book" value was the REAL book value. When I revealed that I had access to TRUE Manheim recent sales they tried their best to tap dance out of it but in the end, they gave me the TRUE market value. I later saw that my car they had bought, they sold at the local Manheim auction a few days after I had traded it for about a $500 more than they paid me which is fine as it was pristine with no issues and low miles and they are welcome to a "reasonable' profit for their trouble of running it through the auction.

Good luck with the deal and hope it works out for you. Finding a deal like your original may be tough as it seems those deals are going away. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-24-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm curious as well

Old 09-24-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

The Castle Bromwich plant is going on a 3 day week until Christmas, affecting 2000 staff, to lower inventory levels. So maybe it’s true that they are only producing cars that have been ordered? The Dealer still has to keep the lights on somehow.

SinF (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

England is slowing down waiting to see what will happen with BREXIT. Just like in the US, the whole country is watching the fringe freakes. I have seen few dealers make a deal in which they come out on the short end.He might be trying to build up his inventory, but you can be sure he will not be losing any money in the deal.
If you are looking to upgrade to a better car, and have the money to do so, go for it. If you think he is doing you a favor out of the goodness of his heart, I have some investment property just east of Miami Beach I would like to make you a really good deal on. You can be a neighbor of D.J. Trump

Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My dealership reached to me with a similar offer. I am super-skeptical, as I don't trust car salespeople as a rule.

In your situation, unless there is also $20K off MSRP on the table to take 2018, I wouldn't bother.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
My dealership reached to me with a similar offer. I am super-skeptical, as I don't trust car salespeople as a rule.
Bingo. My dealership is always nagging me to trade in my car for a new one. I didn't buy my XE from them because I dislike them so much.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

I get these types of letters alot here in SoCal, often regarding vehicles I no longer own, its a typical form letter they send. Besides, they have already demonstrated they are not genuine - when the letter says they will pay "significantly more" than book, and then say the significant amount is $1000, I'd ignore these games.

The bigger point is sadly that 2 seaters can be slow sellers, even when they look as sexy as the F type. Look at Ford, effectively discontinuing most of its passenger vehicles to focus on SUV's and light trucks. And I read that the F-Pace quickly became JLR's best selling vehicle.
Everyone apparently wants to sit up high and ignore the laws of physics while they try to corner like a sports car.

But hey, OP, I'd love to live in a state that doesn't hammer you with 10% sales tax EVERY time you buy a car. Makes it prohibitively expensive to swap toys more than every 4+ years.... I guess in Texas they only tax you on the net above trade value, correct?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba

But hey, OP, I'd love to live in a state that doesn't hammer you with 10% sales tax EVERY time you buy a car. Makes it prohibitively expensive to swap toys more than every 4+ years.... I guess in Texas they only tax you on the net above trade value, correct?
But Texas isn’t a Lease friendly State, you pay sales tax on the full price of the car when leasing, up front. This is because the DEALER takes ownership from the manufacturer and at any change of ownership due to a sale, taxes are due. Maybe they can roll it into the monthly payments but that will involve interest. Then, if they want to buy the car at lease-end, you pay sales tax AGAIN on the residual!!

At least in CA, we “only” pay tax on the monthly payment each month, not upfront on the full cost of the Car.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

uk2usa,
So are you saying that we, Californians, really don't pay too much in taxes? and that we're a tax friendly state? Obviously said in jest, as this state will find a way to tax what you send down the toilet every day. Oh, I forgot, they already do that.

Uk2usa (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Tberg: I always like to find a bright side, Car leasing in CA Vs TX is one of them, in fact, it might be the ONLY one when it comes to taxes. I might never get another opportunity to quote another one, so let’s just go with it, ok? Haha!!!

tberg (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF

In your situation, unless there is also $20K off MSRP on the table to take 2018, I wouldn't bother.
I LOVE my R but if a dealer were to give me $7-$10K more than I paid for mine (or leased in my case), I'd jump on it. Money is money and fun is fun. Every SINGLE possession I own is ALWAYS for sale....to the right bidder..LOL

I may have to call the local dealer to see what they might be willing to do... Got a new ski condo I am looking at buying and could use the extra coin to affect that transaction.. LOL

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-25-2018 at 01:45 PM.
scm (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought all F-Type SVR had quad pipes (two on each side) and a fixed wing on the back. Yet, in the pictures of the SVR offered by Barrett Jaguar, there is no fixed wing and only twin pipes out of the middle.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by raiden658
I thought all F-Type SVR had quad pipes (two on each side) and a fixed wing on the back. Yet, in the pictures of the SVR offered by Barrett Jaguar, there is no fixed wing and only twin pipes out of the middle.
Where did you find pictures because their own website only shows stock images for their SVR. If it doesn't have the quad exhaust, you can't be looking at an SVR nor even an R but whatever picture you are looking at MUST be a v6

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-25-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Interesting offer by the GM at the dealership