XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

In the market and looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default In the market and looking for opinions

Just like the subject line sez.... I purchased a 2006 XK8 w/ 60k on the clock a year ago. Beautiful car, visual art on four wheels but after dumping some serious cash into some upgrades (shock mounts, new shocks, engine mounts and a few interior parts) I had to unload it. My back just couldn't take the shutter and shakes that come with an older convertible's suspension.

Time has passed and I have the itch for another convertible. Mercedes SL550s are out because of the suspension nightmares (ABC issues that can go anytime and cost a fortune to fix and the fact that they look rather plain to this guy's eyes). So, I'm thinking (read: lusting) about a newer X150 convertible.

(Sorry about the long intro.) So, when I go to look at a Jag which year and model will have a softer, more compliant ride? A 2007 to 2009 XKR or the later model? I say "R" because there really is no substitute for power; more the merrier.

My back thanks you in advance for a recommendation.

Last edited by SLazz; 01-18-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 233 Likes on 110 Posts

The XKR will have more power and a firmer, less smooth ride. Most if not all XKR's were delivered with 20 inch wheels as well, so if you are going for a softer, more compliant ride, look for a car with 19 inch wheels. I'd suggest you are optimally looking for an 5.0L N/A XK (2010 model year and up in the US), which will offer nearly the performance of a 4.2L XKR but with a more compliant ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by winstonsalemncxk:
Cee Jay (01-18-2019), pk4144 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by winstonsalemncxk
The XKR will have more power and a firmer, less smooth ride. Most if not all XKR's were delivered with 20 inch wheels as well, so if you are going for a softer, more compliant ride, look for a car with 19 inch wheels. I'd suggest you are optimally looking for an 5.0L N/A XK (2010 model year and up in the US), which will offer nearly the performance of a 4.2L XKR but with a more compliant ride.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. Wheel diameter does make a difference. I will test drive both 4.2 XKR and 5.0 N/A convertibles and compare the ride quality. Chances are the 5.0 N/A will probably do the trick since this car will be driven sparingly and I'm more interested in cruising than racing. Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by SLazz
I say "R" because there really is no substitute for power; more the merrier.
Winstonsalemncxk is right.

Note on the 2010+R. Its not about power in the Germanic delusion of 'Nuburgringing' . Its the English delusion of having the spirit of an effortless charger, as in being able to charge ahead with authority in any gear, i.e. without drama. Think Rolls Royce. It was designed to outperform most supercars in the crucial 50-70 test. In many cases nearly twice as quick.

Here is a review you might find useful. I think the Bentley buyer is similarly concerned with comfort. (I could be wrong as these days all kinds of kids are buying luxury cars)
Why Theory?: Trader Dreamer: Jaguar XKR 5.0

Old 01-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Winstonsalemncxk is right.

Note on the 2010+R. Its not about power in the Germanic delusion of 'Nuburgringing' . Its the English delusion of having the spirit of an effortless charger, as in being able to charge ahead with authority in any gear, i.e. without drama. Think Rolls Royce. It was designed to outperform most supercars in the crucial 50-70 test. In many cases nearly twice as quick.

Here is a review you might find useful. I think the Bentley buyer is similarly concerned with comfort. (I could be wrong as these days all kinds of kids are buying luxury cars)
Why Theory?: Trader Dreamer: Jaguar XKR 5.0
Good article/opinion on the 5.0 R. Looks like I'll have to test drive all the different models. That could take some time since these beauts do grow on trees at least not where I live. Thanks for the article.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

We can't give you any specifc model year advice without knowing your budget and "must have" features and colors. Some features are rare, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, although it was standard equipment for 1 year only on the 2010 XKR. Note that the backup camera became standard equipment in 2012.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
We can't give you any specifc model year advice without knowing your budget and "must have" features and colors. Some features are rare, such as Adaptive Cruise Control, although it was standard equipment for 1 year only on the 2010 XKR. Note that the backup camera became standard equipment in 2012.
I just test drove a 2008 XKR with 36k miles and, to be honest, it was a handful. There's gobs of power on tap and it would take a little time to get accustomed to it but I like it. That said, my budget is $20k to $25k.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

If the 2008 4.2L XKR with 420HP meets your "need for speed", then the 5.0L XKR with 510HP and up is overkill. You can get the 5.0L XKR within your budget, and many Forum members will recommend it over the 4.2L XKR but you'll probably be looking at higher mileage. The 5.0L is known for having a water pump problem, but it's not a terribly expensive repair if you catch it before your engine overheats and becomes a paperweight. The 4.2L, however, is pretty much bulletproof - plus the exhaust note is much better than that of the 5.0L.

If you're OK with the 4.2L, I recommend that you look at the 2009 because that was the first model year for iPod integration with the touchscreen and steering wheel controls. I have all of my music on an ancient iPod Nano and it works great. An optional, dealer-installed accessory Audio Connectivity Module brought 2007 and 2008 models up to the 2009 standard, so check to see if the 2008 XKR you test drove has it. Also, if that 2008 XKR is a Portfolio model it is equipped with the Alcon Performance Brake Package (standard equipment on the 2008 Portfolios and a $5,000 option on the 2009 Portfolios). Adaptive Cruise was optional and is easily identified by the 2 rotary switches on the right side of the steering wheel.

Here are a few pictures of my 2009. Details are in my signature, below.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart will you be buying a 5.0 after you sell him yours.
Many have.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart will you be buying a 5.0 after you sell him yours.
Many have.
Not me. My XKR is NFS.
I guess you didn't notice my signature. My XJ is a 5.0LSC.
Both are great fun!

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Slazz - I think you are going about the selection process in the proper way. On piece of advice; your test drives should be significantly more involved than the typical "round the block" tests. I would take each candidate on freeways, streets and your favorite road(s) with some twisties to get a solid idea of what each car is about. Good hunting!! Oh, and be patient.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

A 2007 with original springs and struts should do the trick. Those things float... GT suspension all the way... Im going to switch out my springs for firmer ones, because I on the other hand do like a firm, planted suspension. The X150 is a huge departure from the X100. A drive in any of these beauties should prove it to ya.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

SLazz,
Those that say that the ride of the 5.0L XKR is harsher or firmer than your X100's may technically be right but in actuality, it's not accurate. The ride is more controlled not harsher. I have both an X100 and an X150, and the ride of my X100 convertible drives me crazy. It jiggles incessantly like a bowl of jello, it bottoms out more easily over bumps, humps, and dips, and is much more uncomfortable than the ride of my 2010 X150. While I will agree that the 20" wheels with the very low profile tires are probably not what you want, even with those (as in mine) the ride is better and vastly improved to that of the X100's. Drive an X150 for 30 minutes, and it will be a revelation in just how much the suspension sophistication changed in a few short years. As for the power of the 5.0L cars, it is truly startling the first time you get on that gas pedal, it's a wild ride. And after that first time, it just produces smiles and giggles instead of jiggles. There are cars available in the price range in which you're looking.
Good luck with your search.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM

I forgot to add that while test driving the 2008 XKR I noticed the steering felt a bit "loose". The car did have a cowl shake at times (convertibles do) but compared to my now long gone Mercedes R129 SL500 the car didn't seem to have as solid of a feel in the steering wheel. Yes, the car felt powerful (actually, intoxicating!) but again there seemed to be a bit of "looseness" in the steering. Perhaps it was just that particular car? It was a low mileage (38k miles, no previous accidents) triple black beauty. Anyway, I'll be test driving a 2010 XK or XKR to see if this is something characteristic to the model. (BTW, my intent is NOT to stir up a debate over my old Mercedes SL's steering feel to that of a Jag. They are two totally different animals.)

Old 01-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Its not about power in the Germanic delusion of 'Nuburgringing' . Its the English delusion of having the spirit of an effortless charger, as in being able to charge ahead with authority in any gear, i.e. without drama.
Sorry to digress but this was bought up at the inaugural meet of my local Jaguar Club

Will by buying one of these for my car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEVERBEEN...BgUE:rk:3:pf:0

Old 01-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I forgot to add that while test driving the 2008 XKR I noticed the steering felt a bit "loose". The car did have a cowl shake at times... Perhaps it was just that particular car?
Think it was just that car. Suspension, alignment, wheels, or tires, could be contributing to your experience.
Hope your next ride is more ‘up to snuff’.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 300 Likes on 147 Posts

I forgot to add that while test driving the 2008 XKR I noticed the steering felt a bit "loose". The car did have a cowl shake at times (convertibles do) but compared to my now long gone Mercedes R129 SL500 the car didn't seem to have as solid of a feel in the steering wheel. Yes, the car felt powerful (actually, intoxicating!) but again there seemed to be a bit of "looseness" in the steering. Perhaps it was just that particular car? It was a low mileage (38k miles, no previous accidents) triple black beauty. Anyway, I'll be test driving a 2010 XK or XKR to see if this is something characteristic to the model. (BTW, my intent is NOT to stir up a debate over my old Mercedes SL's steering feel to that of a Jag. They are two totally different animals.)
I sold my r230 SL500 in October and bought my 09 XK soon after. You are right, they are different. I appreciate the way the Jaguar rides and handles more like a touring car, and am thankful every time I drive it that I no longer live in fear of the ABC suspension. As others have said, be patient, extended test drives and you’ll find one that you want.😎

Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

That "loose" steering might be something as simple as worn rubber bushings, since that XKR is over 11 years old. Although it has only 36K miles, time is a factor and causes rubber bushings to dry out and split.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
That "loose" steering might be something as simple as worn rubber bushings, since that XKR is over 11 years old. Although it has only 36K miles, time is a factor and causes rubber bushings to dry out and split.
Sounds like rubber bushings could be the issue. Next questions....... Are you talking about control arm bushings? Are there other bushing in the front suspension? I ask because I have no
idea what's under there. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MarkyUK
Sorry to digress but this was bought up at the inaugural meet of my local Jaguar Club

Will by buying one of these for my car:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEVERBEEN...BgUE:rk:3:pf:0

Most important post on this thread! It confirms the awakening that folks are having about bogus 0-60 times. And how 50-70 or passing in gear is what really matters.
In that world the 5.0 supercharged is a rock star. Its faster than a Tesla- that's saying something. Its on par with a 2018 Mclaren 720s. It makes a joke out of the regular Corvette- a ridiculous joke. Which does 30-50 in top gear at 12 seconds!! (no *****) it does 50-70 in 11.9 seconds. Our car does the exact same thing in 2.3 seconds on both tests. (as does the McLaren) (funny thing that)

So the question is, if one had $25k to spend, would they not want to know what it feels like to have the authority of a supercar. And I suspect as more folks discover this little known gem, that a Jaguar is the champion of champions in this realm, there is a possibility they become prized.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...nce-benchmark/

Last edited by Queen and Country; 01-19-2019 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-19-2019)

Quick Reply: In the market and looking for opinions