F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 12:24 PM
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Anyone here?

...specifically using one of these for doing oil changes on their F-type? If so, what has your experience been like? I'm trying to get setup for doing my own oil changes on my 2024 F-type R and happened to come across this...

Seems a little steep price-wise, but it also claims to be specifically for Jaguars. Looks quality too, as one would expected for that money I suppose...

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

Cheers

Old 04-28-2024, 01:42 PM
Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

My $12 wrench works fine, but not as pretty.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I have an older version of the Motiv, works fine with my torque wrench. Twas much cheaper when I bought it. Amazon says the first one is what I previously bought, though mine doesn’t look like that.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no problem paying for quality but my $10 Harbor Freight filter socket works just fine.

The following users liked this post:
Chuckster (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:17 PM
Received 403 Likes on 215 Posts

I got this one from Amazon for $8. It's the correct 89mm and uses a 1/2" drive (most use a 3/8" drive):

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-28-2024, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
I got this one from Amazon for $8. It's the correct 89mm and uses a 1/2" drive (most use a 3/8" drive):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK1YZK3
Yep, I have the same one was cheap as chips a few years ago and works perfectly, the thing to look for to be sure it will fit properly is "907".

Old 04-28-2024, 07:38 PM
Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

Save the money, get the cheapest one and zelle the saving to me!

The filter housing isn’t torqued down much, i don’t remember the value but it’s probably somewhere around 20ft lb. Basically hand tight plus a tiny bit more with a wrench.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,148 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Save the money, get the cheapest one and zelle the saving to me!

The filter housing isn’t torqued down much, i don’t remember the value but it’s probably somewhere around 20ft lb. Basically hand tight plus a tiny bit more with a wrench.
It's 25 Nm per the housing itself (= 18.439 ft/lb) but I have never bothered with a torque wrench, using the tool in question I just turn it until it comes to a sudden stop.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:32 PM
Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
It's 25 Nm per the housing itself (= 18.439 ft/lb) but I have never bothered with a torque wrench, using the tool in question I just turn it until it comes to a sudden stop.
I was pretty close didn’t know it was on the housing itself and googled the first time, and never bothered with the torque wrench after that

Old 04-29-2024, 07:59 AM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheaper one works just fine, but doesn't look as cool.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:24 AM
Received 362 Likes on 232 Posts

I'm a sucker for quality tools and that Motiv filter wrench sure is pretty. But no way would I buy one at $36 to $60 when you can get a correct size and type for the Jaguar filter cap wrench for about $15 or less.

I use a Mityvac pump and I did buy a quality digital torque wrench to torque the cap to the specified 25 Nm value. I feel like a bit of a nerd but its actually almost a surgical type procedure to do an oil change with a fluid extractor and top mounted filter. I actually find it pleasurable after 50 years of crawling around under jacked up vehicles and skinning knuckles, getting burned, spilling oil and all those other fun oil change related activities.

Chuckster (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:29 AM
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I'm a sucker for quality tools and that Motiv filter wrench sure is pretty. But no way would I buy one at $36 to $60 when you can get a correct size and type for the Jaguar filter cap wrench for about $15 or less.

I use a Mityvac pump and I did buy a quality digital torque wrench to torque the cap to the specified 25 Nm value. I feel like a bit of a nerd but its actually almost a surgical type procedure to do an oil change with a fluid extractor and top mounted filter. I actually find it pleasurable after 50 years of crawling around under jacked up vehicles and skinning knuckles, getting burned, spilling oil and all those other fun oil change related activities.
I second this.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:25 AM
Received 278 Likes on 180 Posts
Default I used this for 2017 v-6

Just did the oil change about 2 weeks ago. Used this wrench:

Amazon Amazon

The filter housing was on much tighter than the specs, but used torque wrench to make sure it went back on like it should. All previous oil changes done by dealer under 50K/5 yr plan.

Also bought some Pennzoil synthetic 0w20 for 'flush'. Since I extracted the oil, any residues may have been sitting at the bottom of the pan. Put in about 2.5 L of the Pennzoil and then Vac'd that out. The first L or so was black/grimy.

Sent sample out to Blackstone, waiting for the report. Blackstone sends an oil change sticker for your windshield with their test kit.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

Last oil change was just over a year ago (& 4000 miles), but never got any kind of reminder message on the car's cluster.

bought LiquiMoly and filter from FCPEuro

used Mityvac, the 8mm hose fit perfectly over the oil extraction 'straw'.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Just did the oil change about 2 weeks ago. Used this wrench:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The filter housing was on much tighter than the specs, but used torque wrench to make sure it went back on like it should. All previous oil changes done by dealer under 50K/5 yr plan.

Also bought some Pennzoil synthetic 0w20 for 'flush'. Since I extracted the oil, any residues may have been sitting at the bottom of the pan. Put in about 2.5 L of the Pennzoil and then Vac'd that out. The first L or so was black/grimy.

Sent sample out to Blackstone, waiting for the report. Blackstone sends an oil change sticker for your windshield with their test kit.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

Last oil change was just over a year ago (& 4000 miles), but never got any kind of reminder message on the car's cluster.

bought LiquiMoly and filter from FCPEuro

used Mityvac, the 8mm hose fit perfectly over the oil extraction 'straw'.
For some reason your amazon link didn't take me to anything specific. It just took me to Amazon.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:23 PM

I use a Mityvac pump and I did buy a quality digital torque wrench to torque the cap to the specified 25 Nm value. I feel like a bit of a nerd but it's 'm also aactually almost a surgical type procedure to do an oil change with a fluid extractor and top mounted filter. I actually find it pleasurable after 50 years of crawling around under jacked up vehicles and skinning knuckles, getting burned, spilling oil and all those other fun oil change related activities.
I'm also a sucker for a quality tool. That's why I bought the Motiv in the end. A waste of money? Perhaps...Not the end of the world either way...Relative to the price of the car it's peanuts...Sorta how I look at it, but to each their own.

About to pick up a Mityvac as well...

I assume you have the MV7201?

Why kind of torque wrench do you have?

Old 04-30-2024, 08:55 AM
Received 362 Likes on 232 Posts

My Mityvac is the Model 7201 with the pump handle. They do make a model that works if you have shop air from a compressor available. Make sure you get the model that has the 2.3 gallon/8.3 liter capacity, they do make models with smaller reservoirs.

My torque wrench is a AC Delco ARM601. You'll want one that reads relatively low values and not one designed to read up to 120 ft lbs like for torqueing lug nuts. The model I bought reads 3.7 to 37 ft lbs.
It isn't cheap but comes with a certificate of calibration and is switchable between inch/lbs, ft/lbs, kg/cm and Nm.

Here's a link:
Amazon Amazon

In fact both the Mityvac and torque wrench are up about 20% over what I paid two years ago. Yep, inflation is under control isn't it.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:14 AM
Received 278 Likes on 180 Posts

I bought the compressor version of the Mityvac. I also have the AC delco digital, but for same reason above, used my old technology click torque wrench.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:54 AM

My Mityvac is the Model 7201 with the pump handle. They do make a model that works if you have shop air from a compressor available. Make sure you get the model that has the 2.3 gallon/8.3 liter capacity, they do make models with smaller reservoirs.

My torque wrench is a AC Delco ARM601. You'll want one that reads relatively low values and not one designed to read up to 120 ft lbs like for torqueing lug nuts. The model I bought reads 3.7 to 37 ft lbs.
It isn't cheap but comes with a certificate of calibration and is switchable between inch/lbs, ft/lbs, kg/cm and Nm.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM60...s%2C156&sr=8-6

In fact both the Mityvac and torque wrench are up about 20% over what I paid two years ago. Yep, inflation is under control isn't it.
Great minds think alike… ;-0

I bought the exact same torque wrench and Mityvac…

There’s really not a lot of options out there for torque wrenches having that range…

Dwight Frye (05-02-2024)