XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

X351 dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 06:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default X351 dislikes

I absolutely love my XJ... but there's a few minor annoying things that I don't like. Wondering what othwrs have to say.

Things that comes to mind.

I can't partially open the sunroof shade.

rear seats do not fold or at least have a ski port

Really hate that I can't lock my doors unless the key is near. Or leave the engine running and lock the doors.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:57 PM
Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

meanmugga,

1. If you tap the shade button as it is opening, it will stop at the requested position. (Just tried it on the '12, 575 and F-Pace). It works just like the windows.

2. Totally agree, and the lack of roof bars/ski carriers.

3. No comment. I can't think of a reason why I'd want to walk away from a running car....Hot weather ac perhaps?

One thing that really frustrates me (on the '12), is having to reach up to the overhead buttons to activate the parking sensors. I would also like to be able to activate the rear cameras when I want, and not have them deselect when I select D. (I can force the 575 to display).

wombat

Old 05-22-2024, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Am I the only one annoyed that the 3rd brake light cuts into the rearward visibility so much? The back shelf is already too high for good rearward visibility, but the 3rd brake light makes it possible to hide entire cars behind you, especially when you're going down a freeway overpass.

The following 2 users liked this post by lotusespritse:
leadfoot4 (05-23-2024), Meanmugga (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 05:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Two for me:

1. The interior door handle feels too low, somewhat awkward to reach it and I’m needlessly rubbing my arm against the fragile thin leather arm rest to pull it open.

2. Wish the exterior styling resembled the XJs that came before it. Other European luxury car makers have updated their cars across the decades while keeping the style lines consistent in each refresh (BMW, Porsche, Audi).

Old 05-23-2024, 08:53 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My Jaguar app on my cell phone lets me turn on the engine to heat or cool the interior. I haven't used it but assume the doors stay locked. I can also lock or unlock the car remotely using the phone. No key required.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:11 AM

In don't like some other things...

No place to hold my cellphone. Wish the coin box/ashtray was deeper. It would be perfect for a phone. Or a slot in the console like F-Pace.
Tyres offer no curb-rash protection for the wheels.
Agree the 3rd brake light obstructs and Meridian speakers on rear shelf reflect in rear window.
No front fog lamps.
No sunglass holder in overhead console. It should have a door even if the space is limited and too shallow for glasses.
Child lock button too easy to press accidently. I've locked myself in the back seat.
No ability to tow a small trailer.
I don't like the popup rotary shifter.
ACC radar window doesn't match the rest of the grill and it protrudes from it. Should be chrome-silver and dark gray, not black.

Last edited by Paldi; 05-24-2024 at 07:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Meanmugga (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 09:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not too keen on the rate of descent of the fuel gauge indicator, so I ignore it till an orange light pops up on the dash !

Old 05-23-2024, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,314 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Some things that seem to show Jaguar did not drive the car after it was designed?
How can anyone drive this car at night and not see the terrible design problem of the blue circles constantly being reflected in both side mirrors?

Who designed the terrible park sensors? You have to turn the front ones on to work? Completely backwards from all other car's including Jaguars! At least the rear park sensors do come on when the car is shifted into reverse.

Already mentioned but a $100K+ car and the rear seats don't fold down like any economy car has had for the last 25 years?

I do like the interior design but again did anybody actually drive this car in bright sunlight? The glare from the center console is intense!

Again as mentioned above how can a $100K+ car NOT have sunglasses storage in the roof?

Another small and weird thing? Why no mute button on the steering wheel controls? You can turn off the power with the small button on the center console but that's it.

Why are the heated/AC seats always turned off when the car is switched off and do not come back on where they were set? My old 2003 Lincoln LS which was the first car I had with AC seats the controls stayed where they were when the car was shut off. So the AC seats started when the car was started. Much more logical and less work?

Old 05-23-2024, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 296 Posts

I thought the worst "feature" of the earlier 351 XJs, was the poorly designed/made coolant "pipes"......

The following 2 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
Meanmugga (05-23-2024), ralphwg (05-25-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Yea I guess your right on that. Or maybe the long winded and horrible sun roof creaking and popping problem? That was the worst because there was nothing wrong with the car and the final fix was a spacer kit isolating the massive glass roof from the metal car body. But ton's of bad press and it took at least 3 tries before Jaguar finally got it fixed.

Old 05-23-2024, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Already mentioned but a $100K+ car and the rear seats don't fold down like any economy car has had for the last 25 years.
We have a same-generation Merc S Class that also does not have fold down rear seats. So maybe that's just more of an economy car feature for the peasants that are forced to more their own long Home Depot items.

Old 05-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

with the SWB being considerably longer than the XF you'd expect noticeably more legroom but it somehow seems to have even less

Old 05-23-2024, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

What I saw was Jaguar claimed that the rigidity of the body was the reason for no folding rear seats. On my old S Type R it also (claimed) to not have folding rear seats. It actually did because all the lower line S-Types had folding seats. But on the R they bolted a sheet metal brace into the opening and left us with a small ski sack set up. Surprisingly in that car all the hardware to fold the seats was still there but folded up and hidden in the trunk lining.

But that's not a great comparison because the S Type is steel and the XJ is Aluminum.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:18 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I miss the softer ride of my old XJ8. But we have to have that sports car performance from a big four door saloon sedan don't we? Absolutely have to have those 19-20 inch stylish wheels with low profile tires so we can corner with the Porches and best of them. Although, I remember the XJ8 still cornered really well on those tall walled tires. I want a selector button that goes the other way from performance to regular to soft ride. That said, I do love my XJ and it's performance regardless. Sometimes, I'd just like a cushy ride instead.

Old 05-23-2024, 02:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm, small things adding up to big irritants on my 2012 XJL,

glove box pops open every time my wife's hand passes over the sensor from the passenger seat to use the touch screen
sticky buttons
sun visors keep falling down due to broken clips
sun shades that would not close all the way
stuck child seat lock on rear door
power window switch has to be pressed three times to get the window all the way up

and of course the big one, numerous faulty water pumps that resulted in catastrophic engine failure at just 30,000 miles, had to have a new jag engine installed

luv my Jag nonetheless !

gpk

Old 05-23-2024, 04:57 PM

whoops, how could I forget my black retractable cup holder cover in the center console ????? I just leave it open and no one knows, but me, and it bugs me.

gpk

Old 05-24-2024, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Some things that seem to show Jaguar did not drive the car after it was designed?
How can anyone drive this car at night and not see the terrible design problem of the blue circles constantly being reflected in both side mirrors?

Who designed the terrible park sensors? You have to turn the front ones on to work? Completely backwards from all other car's including Jaguars! At least the rear park sensors do come on when the car is shifted into reverse.

Already mentioned but a $100K+ car and the rear seats don't fold down like any economy car has had for the last 25 years?

I do like the interior design but again did anybody actually drive this car in bright sunlight? The glare from the center console is intense!

Again as mentioned above how can a $100K+ car NOT have sunglasses storage in the roof?

Another small and weird thing? Why no mute button on the steering wheel controls? You can turn off the power with the small button on the center console but that's it.

Why are the heated/AC seats always turned off when the car is switched off and do not come back on where they were set? My old 2003 Lincoln LS which was the first car I had with AC seats the controls stayed where they were when the car was shut off. So the AC seats started when the car was started. Much more logical and less work?
On my 2019 I've set the front parking sensors to turn on automatically. But they are sometimes slow to activate.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Yes the glove box has a proximity sensor and not a push button. So no need to actually touch the the button as it's only a sensor.
You can replace the sliding cover and we have several threads on how to do it?

With a 2012 model I am surprised you had no glass roof popping/creaking?

Old 05-24-2024, 07:15 AM
Old 05-24-2024, 11:01 AM

yup, I never did have, nor do I now have the creaking sunroof issue that so many members have complained about. My 2012 now has about 68,000 miles on it and one
of these days I will post all my repairs of 11 years of ownership. Though I am afraid that once I post it and see the total dollars spent on repairs (i'm not a dyi guy) I will
wonder why have I kept this car so long ?

gpk

Quick Reply: X351 dislikes