Was it ever sorted out Colin Crabbe's Cuban D-types?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was it ever sorted out Colin Crabbe's Cuban D-types?

Years ago I read where British car dealer and vintage racer Colin Crabbe went to Cuba and found a couple D-types. First is it true one was disguised by having E-type bonnet and that's why others missed it?
I found the numbers were XKSS725 and XKSS 766 but was one a D-type?
Also some website called Coventry Racers.com quoted the book
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From Jaguar Sports Racing Cars
"Supplied to Distribuidora Jaguar SA, Havana, Cuba; sold to Alfonso Gcmez Mena; 1956 Sebring 12 Hours, with Santiago Gonzales, 8th; later crashed into house damaging car very extensively; quoted £2000 by Momo to rebuild; decided to purchase XKD 503 rather than have car rebuilt; 1975 car purporting to be XKD 521 advertised in Autosport by a 'Mr Herberts' of New York, believed to be Mr Herb Wetson who dealt in a number of D-types in the 1970s and was reported as having spare chassis XKD 523 &XKD 536; it has been suggested that the chassis plate may have been transferred by Mena to XKD S03, and thus that it was this car being advertised; 1991 car bearing this number advertised in Los Angeles; it has also been reported that the chassis plate was affixed to Lynx replica L87/32.
Philip Porter is the author of numerous books on the Jaguar marque. In additional to writing books and magazine articles and managing several businesses, he runs the XK Club and E-Type club from Worcestershire, England. His latest books include the Jaguar Scrapbook and the Stirling Moss 1929 - 1954 Scrapbook."
--------------------------------------------------
So in other words, what I want to know on Jaguar forums is, which of the cars Crabbe
brought back from Cuba were eventually judged as real ones? And has it ever been printed what he paid for them?