US Mid Atlantic MD VA DC DE WV

Good Mech in Va beach

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good Mech in Va beach

Anyone have a worthwhile and trustworthy mechanic they can tell me about in the Va beach area or close to it? Im beating my head against the wall with this issue...

Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,215 Likes on 1,703 Posts

What is it that you are dealing with?

The following users liked this post:
RagJag (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM

My issue is that my steering wheel shakes at all speeds. It shakes more or less depending on how bumpy the road is. It's not effected when I brake. It starts and remains the same when I hit about 15mph. To help diagnose I had the alignment, balance and rotate all done at the same time. The wheels are not bent, tires are great as well as the tire pressure. The auto shop said that they cant see anything wrong (so Ive been passing state inspections with no issues.) I must say though that when I turn left, if its quiet, I can here a very slight knocking sound BUT my wheel doesn't knock with it....I need someone to PLEASE lay some knowledge on me. I know enough about cars but this has me stumped.

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am not sure where you are taking it but you need to find someone that is reputable and knows and understand suspension. This does not mean a Jaguar shop! Your suspension could be a bushing, balljoint, wheel bearing or a bearing hub/raceway or just an alignment. Safety could be an issue so get it looked at and any good alignment shop can do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Gus, I couldn't agree more. I just came back from a hobby shop where I jacked it up, took off all of wheels and inspected them all. The issue was found! The front left wheel bearing knocks when turned. Its frustrating that I took my car in so many times and they couldn't identify this yet it took me 30 minutes to find it...by myself! The veteran mechanic there confirmed it and so did the other people working on there cars. Either way, Im looking forward to getting it fixed since the issue has been correctly identified.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:07 PM

I will post on here the final result when its changed because I have found no one else with my issue and the same symptoms so hopefully my misfortune will help others!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hope you got it sorted. The best shop I know of in VA Beach is ABACUS Racing.
1372 Baker Rd Virginia Beach, VA 23455
(757) 363-8878

Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

LOtion, there is a good shop right off of Witchduck road. I don't recall the name of the shop or the road, but if you get off of I-264 and head north on Witchduck, right after you cross the train tracks there, you can make a right. take the right and then drive all the way down to the end of the road and the shop is on the left.

I know your pain of finding a decent shop in the area. I used to live off of Terminal BLVD and dealt with a few of the shops down in the area. There is a good parts store just east of the intersection of Military Highway and Little Creek Road. It is a European parts store and they can get you all sorts of stuff for you Jag.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The problem is that a few mechanics see Jaguar and they freak out. Why I have no idea!

Originally Posted by NotTheLotion
Gus, I couldn't agree more. I just came back from a hobby shop where I jacked it up, took off all of wheels and inspected them all. The issue was found! The front left wheel bearing knocks when turned. Its frustrating that I took my car in so many times and they couldn't identify this yet it took me 30 minutes to find it...by myself! The veteran mechanic there confirmed it and so did the other people working on there cars. Either way, Im looking forward to getting it fixed since the issue has been correctly identified.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM

OK! Here is the deal. My steering wheel has stopped shaking!!!!! YAY! What did I do you ask-good question and I have two theories BECAUSE I have not changed the when bearing. It stopped when I changed one of my lugs nuts that was stripped and adjusted the caliper. Maybe the lug nut wasn't on tight cause it was stripped. I don't know. All I know is that once I put my car back together-Presto! But now there is another problem. the fluid in my coolant reservoir has turned to a pink milkshake! Now my car overheats quickly and the radiator fan stays on for a while after I turn my car off. I need to know what caused this and what liquid goes in that coolant reservoir cause apparently what I added 3 or 4 days ago has made something go wrong.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 PM

SO, I feel like such a fool because I have been reading wrong information and have been applying the same knowledge I have about Hondas to the jag which has cost me this incident. I am SOO embarrassed to say this but I accidently added ATF fluid to the radiator. Good news is that Im finding that it is easy but time consuming to flush the system. Just glad my transmission wasn't effected.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Lotion, atleast you caught it early. I am not sure what tranny fluid would do to the coolant system, but you are taking the right course of action and getting it out of there before things go south on you.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NotTheLotion
SO, I feel like such a fool because I have been reading wrong information and have been applying the same knowledge I have about Hondas to the jag which has cost me this incident. I am SOO embarrassed to say this but I accidently added ATF fluid to the radiator. Good news is that Im finding that it is easy but time consuming to flush the system. Just glad my transmission wasn't effected.
The process of mechanics is learning by doing. Everyone makes mistakes along the way. A good mechanic learns from those mistakes and a poor mechanic ends up blaming his or her tools.

Last edited by VapourTrail; 10-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.