US Mid Atlantic MD VA DC DE WV

ISO Mechanic in Eastern WV/MD/VA area

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default ISO Mechanic in Eastern WV/MD/VA area

As I just bought a used '02 Jag 3.0 V6 X-type this past week, I want to be on the safe side and make sure everything is in good working/safe condition. I live in a small town, and there is no one within a 30 mile radius that feels comfortable working on this type of car [local garage was hesitant about changing oil and oil filter ]. The check engine light is on, and I will be getting it hooked up to see what that problem is, although when I bought it I was told 02 sensor [going to my local NAPA tomorrow], and not sure which one. I preferrably would like someone in Winchester VA, Keyser WV, Cumberland MD, since those places are 45 minutes or less from me.

My door locks are also strange - twice, I've tried locking them with the remote and they will lock, then unlock. When getting in and driving off, I get the 'red light' on my dash, saying all 4 doors are open [but, they aren't], then after a few lock/unlock door open/close attempts, it goes off and the lock starts working properly.

I seriously don't think it's anything major, as the car still has it's V6 power, no sputtering and no weird sounds [only had it for 3 days, so I'm still driving without the radio on to learn the sounds]. Just looking for a dedicated mechanic that I can trust and faithfully have service my car for me.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

lbheav85, I am not really close to you (I am about an hour south of DC, but when it comes to the X-Type, I can help you out a lot). If there is help you need, give me a hollar and also stop by the X-Type Section and we will get you taken care of. Lots of good information about this car here. If the local shops are worried about working on your Jag, ask them if they are willing to work on a Ford Duratec engine. Guess what, you have a Ford Duratec engine in the car. So, they shouldn't have any issues with working on the car then after you tell them that. The front suspension is pretty generic to most Ford FWD cars and the rear is from a Volvo S40 (again, nothing super special about the rear if they work on AWD cars).

As for the locks, they are sensing that one of the doors is not closed. So, they will lock some and then go undone. If you have a door switch that is starting to stick on you, it will cause this sort of thing to happen.

The following users liked this post:
lbheav85 (04-23-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Where in West Va? I am in Woodstock Va.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Thanks Thermo! I will keep that in mind, and thankfully today, I found a local mechanic that says he feels comfortable helping me out. I did however relay lots of information I found on here and passed down to him, which he really was appreciative of that!

We're going to start small, in hopes that it's my 02 sensor, bank 1 sensor 2. Still waiting on it to arrive from Amazon. He showed me my PCV hose also will need to be replaced, and said those are hard to find, but I found one on Amazon for $15.

Cross your fingers for me that a simple 02 sensor replacement will solve this problem!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:12 PM

Gus -
I'm located in Moorefield, and I think Woodstock is about an hour and a half from me, maybe just an hour. I know when I picked the car up in Front Royal, we got lost and ended up in Woodstock!