US Mid Atlantic MD VA DC DE WV

Skyline drive October 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts
Default Skyline drive October 2017

Looking to see what interest there might be in something like this. Near the end of the month, meet up in Front Royal, VA and then get on Skyline drive (heading south) to take in the fall colors and then meet up for a late lunch (for example) at a restaurant there on Skyline. It is an easy drive (most of it will be at about 30 mph once on Skyline). Lots of good views.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I'm interested. Too bad the slow speed limit but your right about the views.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have planned just such a trip. Interested. Return via Stonewall Jackson, a great driving road.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Update?

Are you still planning this? I would be interested.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran member

Yes, I do have plans to do this in early October. By chance, would you know of a place (grocery store parking lot, park and ride lot, etc) that we could park our cars at long enough to join up before hitting Skyline Drive? I live down near Great Mills which is an hour south of DC. I don't know anything of the Fort Royal area. If you know something, I am all ears.

Just to give you a snippet of what I am thinking, it is going to go something like this:

-meet up at 10 am
-enter the park about 10:30 am
-let people enjoy the drive and stop off at the numerous scenic views to take pics and just enjoy the ride
-about 1:00 pm, have everyone meet up at the Big Meadows Lodge for lunch and do some talking about cars
-about 2:30 pm, part ways and enjoy the drive back or continue to hang out at the parking lot at Big Meadows and talk more about cars.

If you can think of other attractions in the area, speak up. But, I figure most people are doing this trip for the fall colors (hence the early October timeframe).

Old 07-30-2017, 02:46 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know the Front Royal area...I haven't been there or Skyline Drive in about two decades. But I am sure we can find somewhere to meet; for example, Google Maps shows "Royal Plaza Shopping Center" and "Gateway Plaza Shopping Center" not far from the entrance to Skyline Drive.

For anyone unfamiliar with the park, some general info:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...line-drive.htm

Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I would suggest something other than Skyline, especially during leaf season. Lots of traffic going very slow with a heavy law presence. Weekend attempt is a huge nope.

Really anything bigger than farm lanes and smaller than 4 lane will be fun once you get away from the stop lights.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Ranchero, this isn't so much about enjoying a twisty road at speed as it is getting people together and getting to see a few that most people don't pay attention to on a normal basis. I am not expecting us to be able to keep even 5 cars together (let alone hopefully 20+). That is why I say that we are going to meet up later for lunch to do the actual car discussion portion and be able to get all the cars in one spot for a pic.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

All, here is what I have so far lined up for meeting places and times.

Meet the morning of October 7th at:

Joe's Steakhouse
708 S Royal Ave,
Front Royal, VA 22630

We can all meet on the side of the parking lot facing Criser Road. I will be there around 10 am with whoever is there, rolling out around 10:30 am to head over to the ranger station to get into Skyline.

We should be able to get into the park before 11:00 am. At this point, things become more what the individual will want to do. Lots of scenic overlooks to stop at and see with some interesting off shoots for the more adventurous.

The intention is for those involved to make it to milepost 51.2 by 2 PM (Big Meadows recreation area) and to meet up at the restaurant there (Spottswood Dining area). We can then have a some nice food and talk about cars and whatnot.

Following the meal, then everyone will be able to go about their merry way to either travel more of Skyline Drive or to leave the park and head home (nearest exit out of the park is up at milepost 65). There is also one back by Milepost 30 (very twisty road on the east side, takes you towards DC) if you want to have some fun.

If you are interested, please add your name to the list below so we can get an idea of how many people will be attending. Also include whether you plan on eating there in the park or not so I can give the restaurant a heads up that we will be coming and how many people to anticipate.

1. Chris (Thermo) +1 and Jackie (the XJ) - meal

Last edited by Thermo; 09-19-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thermo!

Thanks for pulling this together. My wife and I live in NoVA and would love to participate. October 10...a Tuesday? Is that correct? With work and kids in school a weekday is just not possible for us. If this gets changed to a weekend (I realize that means more leaf-peepers on the roads), then count us in!

Mark

Old 09-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

2Jag, sorry about that. I changed the above post to read Oct 7th, not the 10th.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Thermo! Count us in...Karen and Mark. We'll be driving something that's British Racing Green!

Mark

Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default twisty drives

Many years ago at just the same time of the year I chose that trip, Skyline Drive to Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smokies as my E-Type's first road trip. Today I might add Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway to extend it.

What was not at peak on the way down was on the way back up. It is a beautiful trip meant to be savored slow (until that last add-on section).

Old 10-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Reminder to all those that might be interested. On October 7th, there will be a fun run through Skyline drive. Will be meeting in front of Joe's Steakhouse just outside the entrance of Skyline Drive (more info above) and then spending some time doing the drive with lunch inside of the park itself for those interested.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:43 AM

I would like to be there, but will be out of town. I hope all attending have a beautiful drive. Post some pictures!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Had a nice drive along Skyline drive. Lots of great views. It was about 2 weeks early for the full colors. Things where just starting to change colors. The drive was nice as there weren't a lot of cars on the road. Had a nice meal overlooking a valley at the Big Meadows Lodge as I enjoyed their blackberry BBQ sauce and blackberry ice cream.

Here is a pic of the view from one of the many lookouts.

Met some nice people where there. Met an old couple in an S-Type. They also have a 96 XJS. They sounded interested in joining JF as they were not aware that a group like this existed as they are in the middle of restoring the XJS. Also met a couple from Jersey in a Tesla P85 that we had a good time running into each other at each of the stops.