US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Interested First-Time Buyer in Central NJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested First-Time Buyer in Central NJ

Hello Everyone,

As the title states I've never owned a Jaguar before, but I am looking into buying one within the next year. I'm mostly drawn to Jaguars because of the styling, and I'm most interested in the XJ8's from 1998-2003. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it a worthwhile endeavor to buy a cheap Jaguar without regard to cosmetics just to learn the in and outs of performing basic maintenance and repairs? I've heard the price to get certified mechanics is astronomical, so if I can save a few bucks and learn how to work on it myself it might be rewarding and economical.

2. Are there any specific variants or years of the model I'm interested in that I should look for or avoid?

3. Is it suitable for a daily driver vehicle in NJ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Default Jaguar Ownership

Originally Posted by Scorpius
Hello Everyone,

As the title states I've never owned a Jaguar before, but I am looking into buying one within the next year. I'm mostly drawn to Jaguars because of the styling, and I'm most interested in the XJ8's from 1998-2003. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it a worthwhile endeavor to buy a cheap Jaguar without regard to cosmetics just to learn the in and outs of performing basic maintenance and repairs? I've heard the price to get certified mechanics is astronomical, so if I can save a few bucks and learn how to work on it myself it might be rewarding and economical.

2. Are there any specific variants or years of the model I'm interested in that I should look for or avoid?

3. Is it suitable for a daily driver vehicle in NJ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way.
I bought my XKR 07 convertable last fall and I also live in central N.J. I researched owner reviews and problem reports. Ei: edmonds, car and driver; consumers reports etc. Then I decided on this year and model. I searched Ebay, used car ads, and craigslist. I found mine on a craigslist ad and it was located in long island NY. I have had some minor issues that I figured out with my mechanic and solved without the need to take it to the dealer. This is a well built beautifully designed drivers car. I love driving it so much that I go for a ride every morning in the country (weather permitting.) I say that because if the roads are snow covered----forget it. The Alpine 5.1 surround sound system is superb. The road feel is spot on. The acceleration is exhilarating. Mine is a 4.2 V-8 supercharged 420Hp. The two clutch 6 speed automatic is unbelievable. The headlights turn with the direction of the turn. Sensors will deploy rollbars out of the rear panel if turnover is imminent. Yout must realize that this is basically a 2 seater car. The rear seats are useless for people. Jag put them there to avoid a 10,000 dollar import levey. Also the backup light is useless also. I will be installing a led light bar under the rear bumper and wire it to the reverse light for better illumination. The only other dislike is that the passenger seat does not recline enough. If you like a car that turns heads this is it. Highly recommended.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by awesomeaudiojim
I bought my XKR 07 convertable last fall and I also live in central N.J. I researched owner reviews and problem reports. Ei: edmonds, car and driver; consumers reports etc. Then I decided on this year and model. I searched Ebay, used car ads, and craigslist. I found mine on a craigslist ad and it was located in long island NY. I have had some minor issues that I figured out with my mechanic and solved without the need to take it to the dealer. This is a well built beautifully designed drivers car. I love driving it so much that I go for a ride every morning in the country (weather permitting.) I say that because if the roads are snow covered----forget it. The Alpine 5.1 surround sound system is superb. The road feel is spot on. The acceleration is exhilarating. Mine is a 4.2 V-8 supercharged 420Hp. The two clutch 6 speed automatic is unbelievable. The headlights turn with the direction of the turn. Sensors will deploy rollbars out of the rear panel if turnover is imminent. Yout must realize that this is basically a 2 seater car. The rear seats are useless for people. Jag put them there to avoid a 10,000 dollar import levey. Also the backup light is useless also. I will be installing a led light bar under the rear bumper and wire it to the reverse light for better illumination. The only other dislike is that the passenger seat does not recline enough. If you like a car that turns heads this is it. Highly recommended.
I recommend buying the newest year that you can afford. With a lot of searching I was able to find one 10k below average wholesale. I was willing to fly across country and drive it back so my search extended that far so I could find the year and color combo I wanted. Black on black. Good luck.