US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

JagPro in Bellmore, Long Island

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up JagPro in Bellmore, Long Island

Based on several threads I found here I decided to skip the Great Neck Jaguar dealership and try Martin at JagPro. I recently bought a 2005 XJR and besides needing a NYS inspection and some minor odds and ends, the front left brake was sticking, so I took the kitty cat down to Bellmore and dropped it with Martin.

He put new brakes on all round (25,000 miles on the previous set) and did a bunch of little things I needed. Picked the car up today, spent 20 minutes chatting with the guy, I can heartily recommend the place. I swear the car is cleaner than when I dropped it off, the mechanic who worked on the car stopped and chatted with me for a bit as well. I mentioned I was driving up to Boston this weekend on the car's virgin run and Martin just lit up like he was excited for the car to get to stretch it's legs.

Seriously, this guy loves his Jags, knows them inside out, he spent 20 minutes or more with me just telling me the stuff to look out for on this model. Definitely a thumbs up from me, and many thanks to the folks who had previously discussed this on the forums, really helped me out, thanks!

The following 5 users liked this post by mynameismonkey:
DevSpider (04-16-2013), eksjaysix (05-15-2022), Harley N (08-19-2021), LostSAAB (01-29-2024), Valsxkr (11-09-2021)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Thanks for sharing...

Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

thanks for that info!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Price rate for service

Originally Posted by mynameismonkey
Based on several threads I found here I decided to skip the Great Neck Jaguar dealership and try Martin at JagPro. I recently bought a 2005 XJR and besides needing a NYS inspection and some minor odds and ends, the front left brake was sticking, so I took the kitty cat down to Bellmore and dropped it with Martin.

He put new brakes on all round (25,000 miles on the previous set) and did a bunch of little things I needed. Picked the car up today, spent 20 minutes chatting with the guy, I can heartily recommend the place. I swear the car is cleaner than when I dropped it off, the mechanic who worked on the car stopped and chatted with me for a bit as well. I mentioned I was driving up to Boston this weekend on the car's virgin run and Martin just lit up like he was excited for the car to get to stretch it's legs.

Seriously, this guy loves his Jags, knows them inside out, he spent 20 minutes or more with me just telling me the stuff to look out for on this model. Definitely a thumbs up from me, and many thanks to the folks who had previously discussed this on the forums, really helped me out, thanks!
If you don't mind me asking, what was the bill for the service (Labor only) performed? I have purchased front rotors with front and rear pads and would like to go to someone who will not rip me off. BTW, congratulations on the purchase of your Jaguar.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't keep the bill, but I remember the labour being very reasonable; as I recall I was a little surprised it wasn't more. I would call him and ask what he would charge you, he seemed pretty open and honest about his prices.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM

I gave Martin a call yesterday. This is what he quoted me for labor only:
Front rotors, front brake pads and rear brake pads: $280.00 - $300.00
Change the brake fluid in the system: $250.00

I said that the brake fluid change price that he gave me seems rather high. He replied that it's because it takes a very long time to do.

I may end up going to Queens to an Indy shop. They quoted me under $350.00 for the whole job. I figure that changing the brake pads, rotors and fluids is not too specialized of a job, so I may as well save some $ for when I really need a JagPro.

Thanks for your input

Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I just checked my local dealer's site and most fluid changes are about $90 - $100 so $250 seems high especially for outside the dealership

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Today I went to the Indy shop in Queens (NY) to get several services done on my car.
1. Front Rotors - I got the rotors at Brake Performance Rotors. I went for their premium set - drilled only. Decided not to go for the slotted units since the slots go all the way to the edge of the rotor and, according to many enthusiasts on the forum, such configuration may lead to the rotor fatigue and eventually, cracking. I do find that peculiar though, since EBC, a reputable brand has slots going to the rotor's edge as well. I decided not to take chances and went with the drilled.
2. For the front pads I chose a set of StopTech high performance model. Tire Rack gave these high ratings for stopping power as well as low noise and little dust. So far, after driving about 30 miles, I must attest that there is no dust at all. The original pads would produce dark dust after a few miles of driving. However, I am experiencing some noise right before coming to a complete stop. The mechanic said that this was normal as the rotors must get bedded. Time shall tell if he's right.
3. Rear Pads - I went with the Akebono brand as many people that use them swear by them. I would have purchased the same brand for the front, but, unfortunately they are no longer available for the XKR.

I am somewhat concerned that all four corners are now generating more heat than with the old rotors/pads. It could be that the weather in NY is warmer than last week and the heat from the wheel area does not dissipate as fast. I will definitely keep my eye on it.
I also wanted to change the brake fluid in the system, but the mechanic said that it is a complete waste of money and that it is not necessary at all. The Jaguar service manual recommends changing of the brake fluid every 2 years. The vehicle service records show that the Jag is up for that service now. The mechanic was adamant about this and said that this procedure may do more harm than good. For the time being I decided not to proceed with the fluid change. Does anyone know why Jaguar recommends this service in rather frequent intervals? What happens if the service is skipped or not done at all?

The whole service made my wallet only $190.00 lighter. I think that it is a great value, since JagPro commanded $100.00 more for the same task.
Standing over the mechanic's head while he was working, I attest that there is no way that would be able to do this (the right way) on my own. I am not as handy as most of the enthusiasts on this forum, so for me a good mechanic is a must have. I feel that the money was well spent.

Attached Thumbnails JagPro in Bellmore, Long Island-photo-1.jpg   JagPro in Bellmore, Long Island-photo-2.jpg   JagPro in Bellmore, Long Island-photo-3.jpg  
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
Today I went to the Indy shop in Queens (NY) to get several services done on my car.
1. Front Rotors - I got the rotors at Brake Performance Rotors. I went for their premium set - drilled only. Decided not to go for the slotted units since the slots go all the way to the edge of the rotor and, according to many enthusiasts on the forum, such configuration may lead to the rotor fatigue and eventually, cracking. I do find that peculiar though, since EBC, a reputable brand has slots going to the rotor's edge as well. I decided not to take chances and went with the drilled.
2. For the front pads I chose a set of StopTech high performance model. Tire Rack gave these high ratings for stopping power as well as low noise and little dust. So far, after driving about 30 miles, I must attest that there is no dust at all. The original pads would produce dark dust after a few miles of driving. However, I am experiencing some noise right before coming to a complete stop. The mechanic said that this was normal as the rotors must get bedded. Time shall tell if he's right.
3. Rear Pads - I went with the Akebono brand as many people that use them swear by them. I would have purchased the same brand for the front, but, unfortunately they are no longer available for the XKR.

I am somewhat concerned that all four corners are now generating more heat than with the old rotors/pads. It could be that the weather in NY is warmer than last week and the heat from the wheel area does not dissipate as fast. I will definitely keep my eye on it.
I also wanted to change the brake fluid in the system, but the mechanic said that it is a complete waste of money and that it is not necessary at all. The Jaguar service manual recommends changing of the brake fluid every 2 years. The vehicle service records show that the Jag is up for that service now. The mechanic was adamant about this and said that this procedure may do more harm than good. For the time being I decided not to proceed with the fluid change. Does anyone know why Jaguar recommends this service in rather frequent intervals? What happens if the service is skipped or not done at all?

The whole service made my wallet only $190.00 lighter. I think that it is a great value, since JagPro commanded $100.00 more for the same task.
Standing over the mechanic's head while he was working, I attest that there is no way that would be able to do this (the right way) on my own. I am not as handy as most of the enthusiasts on this forum, so for me a good mechanic is a must have. I feel that the money was well spent.
I know this is an old post, but would you be able to send me the name of the indie shop you used ?

Thanks !

Old 03-27-2021, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get the name of that shop?