US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

May Meet and Drives

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default May Meet and Drives

So a few things are showing up on the calender for the month of May.
Of key interest is the ABFM event in Canada!
May 18th - All British Field Meet - Vancouver BC
May 19th - All British Whistler Run - Vancouver BC

Looks like a sunny weekend (4 May) for Exotics@RTC! Bet some sweet rides will be on display!

I'm headed to Hood River the 11th for a Saturday/Sunday drive about the falls (IF the weather holds)...

Any other forum members making plans?

Last edited by CleverName; 05-01-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The Vancouver trip sounds awesome. I'm probably more interested in the Whistler run, don't think I can swing both days.

Were you talking about this Saturday, the 4th for RTC? Are you going?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Darn it!
I'm tied up both weekends 11-12 & 18-19, so can't join in on either the gorge or BC runs. Since I'm getting my gray beauty detailed tomorrow, I'm thinking of coming to Redmond the next day. I've never done that, someone please tell me where to go and what time to get there. I hope some of the rest of the group might be there too.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marko
Were you talking about this Saturday, the 4th for RTC? Are you going?
Nope, not gonna make this one... Plenty of yard work, and have to clean the deck and grill, cause the sun is here! Bet that sun brings out some sweet cars though!
Lets see a few convince Swimref to show off his beauty at RTC.... Its a little intimidating for the first timer (although I just pulled in like I knew what I was doing, and got away with it!), so having fellow forum members present would let Kev really enjoy the event...

Lets see members coordinate a run up north! I can't make that one either, but what could be more cool than an ABFM run to Whistler?

Last edited by CleverName; 05-02-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I'll be out there tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for you, Swimref. Once at the Redmond Town Center find your way to 166th street from either direction. There will be a line of cars pulling in to the south lot, directed by some friendly volunteers who will tell you what row to pull into. Just jump in the line and act like you know what you're doing. I like to aim for 8:15 AM but I've seen cars pull in well past 9:00, so they're probably not be as strict as they make on. On second thought, it's going to be so pretty tomorrow that I bet it's packed and earlier may be better. We'll see.

It's worth the trip. I think you'll be glad you came.

Last edited by Muddydog; 05-03-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
....someone please tell me where to go and what time to get there. I hope some of the rest of the group might be there too.
NE 72nd Way - Google Maps

I bet the place gets packed tomorrow.... so much eye candy...........
I'd show up NLT 8:30

V

Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone besides Marko thinking bout Whistler or ABFM?
Seems like there should be a convoy of Jags for that one!

I'm still on the fence for my Hood River run this weekend. Weather sites are conflicting, but looks good so far with 86-90 degrees and sunny Saturday, and overcast w/30% chance of rain Sunday!
If that holds, I'm southbound early Saturday morning for some awesome mountain forest driving!
Right now, I'm only worried if both days go overcast.....

If anyone wants to just join in on a day drive, let me know! 410 south to White Pass to Yakima is my planned route...... Lots of options for day trippers. Experience snow lined 410, and turn back at the summit, or follow me to Hwy 12 then cut down to Morton and home (bout 4+ hours drive), or of course, join me on the Columbia!

Forest Service assures me that Wind River Road from Carson to Cougar is indeed cleared of snow, and that is great news for my Sunday return!

v

Last edited by CleverName; 05-07-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Registered car for both ABFM and Whistler Run, first timer should be a great weekend hope the weather is close to what we've got now..............

Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by navcanman
Registered car for both ABFM and Whistler Run, first timer should be a great weekend hope the weather is close to what we've got now..............
Outstanding!
Regardless of weather, it will certainly be a worthwhile event! (Remember... pics are a must!)

Also posted another May event worthy of consideration this month.
May 26th - 3rd Annual Staycation - Chateau Ste. Michelle, Woodenville.

V

Last edited by CleverName; 05-07-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Anyone besides Marko thinking bout Whistler or ABFM?
Seems like there should be a convoy of Jags for that one!

I'm still on the fence for my Hood River run this weekend. Weather sites are conflicting, but looks good so far with 86-90 degrees and sunny Saturday, and overcast w/30% chance of rain Sunday!
If that holds, I'm southbound early Saturday morning for some awesome mountain forest driving!
Right now, I'm only worried if both days go overcast.....
I
If in in on a day drive, let me know! 410 south to White Pass to Yakima is my planned route...... Lots of options for day trippers. Experience snow lined 410, and turn back at the summit, or follow me to Hwy 12 then cut down to Morton and home (bout 4+ hours drive), or of course, join me on the Columbia!

Forest Service assures me that Wind River Road from Carson to Cougar is indeed cleared of snow, and that is great news for my Sunday return!

v
I wish I could be joining you but Alberta calls.
Good travels to whoever joins in. I‘ll be looking for some good pix of the drive.

I will be travelling through the Canadian Rockies so I will definately be taking pix along the way. One of the places I will going is along the Glacier Parkway, passing the area where surrounding glaciers feed the headwaters of the Columbia River starting it long journey to the coast.
Interesting that 2 weeks ago we were in Astoria at the mouth........my thoughts will be with you all further down river.

Its 50/50 right now if its the Range Rover or the Jag, I am leaning towards the latter of course as the weather looks good.

Happy trails to you all.

Allan

Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Chinook pass/410 is still closed East of HWY 123 as of Monday.

Just FYI. White pass is clear.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Chinook pass/410 is still closed East of HWY 123 as of Monday.
Just FYI. White pass is clear.
Not a problem, as i was crossing Cayuse, not Chinook.
410 out of Enumclaw to SR123 to Whitepass/Hwy-12 is all supose to be open. I'm looking forward to seeing some pristine mountain views still draped in snow!

V

Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I think I'm pulling the plug on my Hood River run....
What started as a solid sunny Saturday, and incoming rain Sunday afternoon has now lined up to be cloudy Saturday with chance of rain, and high chance of rain all day Sunday.

Ah well, Maybe next weekend.

Anyone wanna loop Rainier Saturday?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 AM

I'm afraid I can't make it either of these two weekends. Or the next after that. Still counting on June, though.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well, couldn't ask for a nicer day to drive Rainier. I see now that I'm home that my left arm is a bright pink(something you 'vert owners needn't worry bout)!
At these temps, the snow will be gone soon, and all the great Cascade roads will open for our driving pleasure!

Attached Thumbnails May Meet and Drives-img_2262.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_2172.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_2153.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_2111.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_2195.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, couldn't ask for a nicer day to drive Rainier. I see now that I'm home that my left arm is a bright pink(something you 'vert owners needn't worry bout)!
At these temps, the snow will be gone soon, and all the great Cascade roads will open for our driving pleasure!
Nice Vince. A trip that I have never done. Definitely one for the future.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Wish I would have seen this earlier, would have joined! I need to check here more often!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yikes... Pulling the plug on Hood River again(18th)....

Have my Son for Memorial Day weekend, and sure enough, he wants to go see the falls and Stonehenge and such, so.... I'm going to invest my time and efforts on him for the three days and hope the crowds and weather are forgiving.... Almost have him convinced to take a day drive to Painted Hills Oregon and back along the John Day Highway (Nice road).

Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

So on a spur of the moment drive, Muddydog and I set out to scout roads in anticipation of the June Jaguar/Exotics day. The intent to find worthy byways was an honest one, that quickly became questionable from Muddys perspective.

Needless to say, Muddy wont be so easily convinced to invite me to such quests in the future!

Wet... Pretty much a given considering our location and time of year....
Traffic... Muddydog offered words of warning to routes I thought viable, and had I heeded his wisdom we would have most certainly spent less time in it.
Mud... drive 2 pristine cars on one 11 mile stretch of dirt road (yes, you read correctly, and lets not forget fording two creeks...) Muddys Cat and mine became, well.... muddy......
Attacked by Grizzly Bear... (OK, maybe is was just a Black Bear that nearly chewed my ankle off? No? Ok fine... I'm pretty sure I was at least lightly startled when a cub crossed the road in front of us...)
Snow... Narrow channels cut through 2 foot drifts let us pass, while cleaning off the underbelly of our now dirty cats.
Falling trees... Well... Ok... they fell before we got there and someone had cut a path trough the rubble just big enough for the cats to get by.

All in all, a great day from my perspective! Muddys? Well lets just say he now understands Swimrefs jokes towards "Vince and his goat trails"!

We did find a few amazing roads worthy of discussion (free of killer bears and muddy snow.) and now need to get it plotted and proposed to those interesting in driving after the event...

(Pretty sure Muddydog will warn you all to follow his lead, not mine.... Unless of course you like wet mud, snow banks, fallen trees, and washing your car for the next two hours to get it all removed!)
Redmond, WA to Erste Strasse/NF-9040 - Google Maps
S Lewis St to Erste Strasse/NF-9040 - Google Maps

<sigh> A Good day...
Vince

Attached Thumbnails May Meet and Drives-img_0830.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0883.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0913.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0853.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0899.jpg  

May Meet and Drives-img_2316.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0886.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0855.jpg   May Meet and Drives-img_0885.jpg  

Last edited by CleverName; 05-19-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Cool

See what peer pressure can do to you, kids? To be fair, 11 miles at 11 miles/hour is not a bad way to see some amazing stuff that I would have missed at full speed in the truck.

And I made Vince go first, 'cause, despite his name, the "Pirate Roberts" is a bit of a cowardly cat. You should have seen the hikers rubbernecking as we passed by!

Quick Reply: May Meet and Drives