US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

St Helens Drive - 18 August

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default St Helens Drive - 18 August

So I have mentioned earlier posts that Audi Club Northwest is hosting a summer drive to tour St Helen's and Spirit lake. All makes and model cars are welcome, and you will find Audi members are warm and friendly folk that have a passion for cars and the driving experience.

With this in mind I am attending with my XK. I would like to invite other Jag owners to join me in what I would call a "British Invasion of a German event".
(Fear not, for as I said, they are truly a friendly group of people and would welcome our beautiful cars with smiles and handshakes. If you like to drive, your already on common ground.)

You can read more details about the event HERE.

Things to consider:
  • All day event.
  • Brown bag lunch
  • FRS walkie-talkies for car to car communications.(I have some spares)
  • $10 National park fee applies (error, see post #5)
  • $5 Northwest Forest Pass applies
  • Audi NW asks a $10 entry donation, which goes to the Children's Hospital
  • No obligation to remain with the caravan. (We could strike out on paths of our own should we choose.)

If enough Jag owners show interest, we could do this on our own as an independent drive to the same location.
If your interested, post here or PM me. I look forward to meeting any of you who would like to attend.

Lets show off little British pride together, shall we?

I'm there... one way or another...

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 08-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Spoke with Mark Yonker, the event coordinator...

He says Jags are most certainly welcome... bring as many as we like!

Vince

Old 08-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Vince,
A couple questions. I am planning on joining, if I can get up that early and make it to Enumclaw on time. Is it necessary for we Jag people to formally register with the Audi people and attend their "mandatory" meeting? What is the $10 National Park fee? The route as stated from Enumclaw to Packwood (Hwys 410, 123, & 12) does not pass through any entrance gate and incurs no entrance fee. I always prefer keeping things simple and not over-complicated.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
Hey Vince,
A couple questions. I am planning on joining, if I can get up that early and make it to Enumclaw on time. Is it necessary for we Jag people to formally register with the Audi people and attend their "mandatory" meeting? What is the $10 National Park fee? The route as stated from Enumclaw to Packwood (Hwys 410, 123, & 12) does not pass through any entrance gate and incurs no entrance fee. I always prefer keeping things simple and not over-complicated.
Outstanding news ... Really looking forward to meeting up!

Greyed out due to inaccuracies... See post #5 for corrected information.
"410 east/southeast of Enumclaw crosses into Rainier MP right after the Crystal Mountain Boulevard turnoff, so you do have Park fees.... St. Helen's is also a National Volcanic Monument requiring the same pass. (A single pass is good for all day and all National Parks, so you only buy the one. Personally I get the yearly pass for $80, but then, I love parks and drove through 7 last year and 4 so far this summer!). Pretty sure we pass booths, but if not, you still need the pass to park at St Helens.

I did verify there is no need to pre-register, it just helps the coordinator make plans. You can "Donate to the Children's Hospital" after arriving at the initial gathering. The drivers meeting is very casual, but mandatory, where you agree to be a nice person, obey the laws, help others in the event of problems, and also sign a insurance waver holding ACNW harmless if you decide to test your crumple zones against a western ceder (or they decide to strafe you with the circling ME109).

Very cool to hear another Jag may attend.

I also informed Mark that the return route may be a tad long for some of us to work with. I'm 1.5 hours out of Enumclaw myself, and retracing our steps although beautiful makes a very long day. Highway 7 (Morton/Elbe/Eatonville) back to Tacoma and I-5 cuts an extra 1.5 hours off the return. Depends on the time we dial the compass 180 degrees, but Im keeping it as a "wow its getting late" option.

Hope it helps!
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 08-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

I stand corrected and thank Swimref for bringing it to my attention.

Highway 410 does NOT require a National Park Fee. (In my defense, I have only driven 410 to access Paradise or Sunrise, so my misguided memory knew I always paid Park fees... Alas the toll booths are there when you turn off of 410.)

I did call St Helen's to confirm the need of a "Northwest Forest Pass" which is $5 per car.

My apologies for the misinformation.

Vince
(Also found out yesterday that the NP day fee has jumped to $15!)

Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Just a bump , and info hoping to entices a few more to take time out of a busy life for a summer drive!

Current registration for this even is pretty small. with 11 cars on the "official roster" 10 Audi's of various models, a Hyundai, and my XK. I noted one driver coming up from Eugene! Wow....

Fellow forum member Swimref is thinking really hard about coming out and bringing his beauty along. If we are lucky he will bring her in his XF!

It's a good time to remind members that this is indeed a family event.... The roads may entice a few short bursts in sweeping corners from some drivers, but it is the journey and wonderful people you share it with that makes these events work. The reward of a St Helen's Vista is just one many smiles to be had along the way...

I haven't a clue how the roads, traffic or weather will fair, but I know any time behind the wheel of a Jag is never wasted time... And any chance to meet others of the same mind is always a pleasure!

Join us, wont you? (Summer is half over!)
Vince

Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default Big Cats Sighted near St Helens!

Amid the peak of summer visitation, Officials now warn that Big Cats have indeed been sighted within the Mt. St Helen's area....
Guests are warned to keep an eye on children, pets, and rear view mirrors while near any roads.....

In other news....
Fellow forum member Swimref and I showed off our beasts to the Audi crew during a recent tour-de-St Hellen's.
The drive began in Enumclaw, and traveled the eastern side of Rainier, where we were treated to picturesque view of that mountain. Onward through Packwood and Randle, we attacked the St. Helen's via the eastern entrance of FR25 and 99.
The day remained somewhat hazy, but we were treated to the full mountain without any clouds to obscure the view.

Lunch in the shadow of such amazing power and beauty was certainly humbling.....but then the Audi folks took it well... (Besides they had a cool mountain to look at too...)

Departing the area, we traveled a lesser known road (FR26) which kept our driving skills on full alert. The road was a wonderful mix of sweeping views of forest and devastation, combined with moments of utter terror thanks to pot holes big enough to park a VW in!

Needless to say, I certainly had a great time and was honored to have swimref and his wife bring their XF out to play!

Kudos to the Audi Club Northwest for making us welcome...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7...136b0537_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7...64ea824e_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7...834f5cda_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7...132c74e0_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7...a9cbaf83_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8295/7...73c063cd_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8308/7...83846d16_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8295/7...d7cc7631_o.jpg

YouTube vid from a fellow participant...

We need to get a few more people interested in these type trips, so we can get out and prowl some of the more scenic areas here in the PNW!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 08-19-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: grammer
The following users liked this post:
Norri (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Just missed this one, but definitely interested to join the next time. Do I just check back here? Or is there some kind of way to mail all WA members here?

Cheers,

Marko

Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marko
Just missed this one, but definitely interested to join the next time. Do I just check back here? Or is there some kind of way to mail all WA members here?

Cheers,

Marko
Welcome once again Marko,

I'm kinda the overly pushy one here so far, hence the mods gave me a fancy schmancy title... (Kinda a "Put up or Shut up" gesture I think! )

The Northwest Forum is still new, so you are a very welcome addition to our slowly growing numbers.

I personally enjoy cars of all types, but as you will soon notice, "drives" are my passion. Others here have amazing collectables, and take pride in showing them off at local gatherings.

I hope to see participation on all levels, and am always looking for others to help out with ideas to get us more acquainted with each other!

If you hear of an event that isn't listed, be sure to post it up.
If your a "driver" like myself then we may try to work in a gathering on some favorite route before our wet weather hits...

Vince

Old 08-21-2012, 02:18 AM

Hi Vince,

Definitely a driver too. I'm German, we like to drive! No Autobahn here, but plenty of nice roads. Fairly new to all this, but a gathering with other Jag enthusiasts sounds like fun!

Whereabouts in WA are you? I am usually found in Seattle, the East Side or somewhere in between.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like y'all had fun. We were nearby ourselves, but the Jag was in the garage and we took bikes into the mountains.

I'm definitely in if I can swing the schedule next time though.

Attached Thumbnails St Helens Drive - 18 August-img_1145.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marko
Hi Vince,

Definitely a driver too. I'm German, we like to drive! No Autobahn here, but plenty of nice roads. Fairly new to all this, but a gathering with other Jag enthusiasts sounds like fun!

Whereabouts in WA are you? I am usually found in Seattle, the East Side or somewhere in between.
I hide out over here on the Kitsap Peninsula.

Not many open weekends left (for me) to put together a drive.
August is shot...

Weekends of September 8 and 29 are open. Anyone game to set up a day drive?

I'll be on the Columbia the 22nd driving Maryhill Loops Road(WooHoo!).... Looking forward to driving Wind River Road again getting there!

V

Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM

I'd be in for a day drive, nothing too long or crazy. Either weekend should work for me. Anyone else?