US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Favorite Driving Roads in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Driving Roads in Texas?

Hey guys,

Just curious as to yalls favorite driving roads in around DFW but also all of Texas. My favorite in Dallas is the Tollway to 121 to 75, pretty straight but ample room for speed if done late at night. In South Texas / Hill Country Im a fan of the Devils Backbone / any FM road between 281 and 35 in and around Wimberly. Anyways share your favorite roads (I would love to have suggestions, especially in the DFW area)

Old 04-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

We got nothing that I know of around here to compare with the Hill Country. What does wind around even a little bit is usually in such bad a shape you can't go very fast for fear of busting a wheel. I have a few old classic cars so here are some of the roads I like to cruise just keep the old fluids circulating. Green Oaks Blvd in Arlington between I-30 and SH-360 has a few long sweeping sections and some steep hills between stoplights and not too much traffic. Trinity Blvd between Loop 820 and SH-360 is straighter and flatter but has very little traffic and is a pretty new road in good shape.

I went to college in Austin. I spent many weekends and racked up a nasty credit card debt for gasoline just driving the Hill Country in my 1980 Mercury Capri RS. After college I bought a 1985 Toyota Supra and made many a trip to the Hill Country for the sheer driving pleasure. I did the Devil's Backbone with the Supra Owners Group one year.

If you go north into Oklahoma, another one I enjoy is the Talimena Scenic Drive between Talihina Oklahoma and Mena, Arkansas through the Ouachita National Forest. You can't go fast until you get to know it real well because there's lots of scenic overlooks where cars may be pulling back onto the roadway, but once you get to know where there's some distance between them and you go on a weekday, then its a fun road. If you go on weekend tho, there's going to be lots of tourists and particularly motorcycle and other car clubs.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, love the Talimena, pdupler. I highly recommend it for anyone in this area.

I grew up making the Rogers-to-Eureka Springs run in the NW Arkansas Ozarks, and it's still a lot of fun.

Not to completely derail Texas roads, but Northern New Mexico is mighty fine, too.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hands down, it's Willow City Loop out by Fredericksburg. A fairly slow and winding drive around some of the most incredible scenery in Texas. It's like you stepped into a time machine and went back to before humans inhabited the Earth.

It won't let you test your car's power or maneuverability, but if you haven't done it yet, try it. You won't be disappointed.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We frequently caravan sport cars to the "Three Sisters" (or Twisted Sisters) in the Hill Country. Ranch Roads, 335, 336 and 337. This 91 miles of winding roads around a rectangular layout of hill country is more fun than you can imagine. The Jaguar XK convertible is a perfect choice because you can use smooth high speed and "shoot the curves" in control; top down. Most drivers enter the Three Sisters from Bandera, Texas. On weekends there is a Motofoto camera man taking photos of drivers skidding through the curves. There can be a lot of motorcycle riders, so stay alert. Roads are in fine condition.

The following users liked this post:
dlcole76054 (03-05-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ther are lots of twisty roads in the Brenham and Chappell Hill area. Lots of motorcycles and car clubs try them out on the weekends. FM 1155, scenic route 390 are a couple of them.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daled78596
We frequently caravan sport cars to the "Three Sisters" (or Twisted Sisters) in the Hill Country. Ranch Roads, 335, 336 and 337. This 91 miles of winding roads around a rectangular layout of hill country is more fun than you can imagine. The Jaguar XK convertible is a perfect choice because you can use smooth high speed and "shoot the curves" in control; top down. Most drivers enter the Three Sisters from Bandera, Texas. On weekends there is a Motofoto camera man taking photos of drivers skidding through the curves. There can be a lot of motorcycle riders, so stay alert. Roads are in fine condition.
I've ridden these roads on a Harley and I will offer my vote that they are fantastic. Put the top down, turn up the sound and enjoy the great twistys of the Sisters...