US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

A Good, Fair, Honest Jag mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default A Good, Fair, Honest Jag mechanic

Hi Fellow AZ Jag owners, My '10 XKR warranty will expire in 2 months. I also have a '05 STR which, sad to say, has been the victim of less that knowledgeable mechanics. They may mean well, but that doesn't help when you go into limp home mode. Anyone in the Phoenix area should know that Jaguar Scottsdale stink and are super expensive. They will drain your wallet and return an improperly repaired car. That said, I've been looking at 3 Jag mechanics in the Phoenix area:

Sports and Collector Car in Tempe

British Automotive Repair in Scottsdale

Dave's Import Service in Phoenix

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with either of these guys? is there someone else in the Phoenix area you would recommend? I'd like to find a mechanic I can be somewhat confident in that I'm getting a good repair and not being ripped off. Please post any suggestions or comments you may have...I believe this will help all of us...Thanks.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Hello Chris,

I've heard good things about British Automotive and Dave's, although I have never been to either! They both have a good reputation for treating Jags well, without dealer cost. I'm considering paying for some suspension work and I'm going to check in with these places first. I think it would be worth stopping by for an introduction.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Hello Chris,

I've heard good things about British Automotive and Dave's, although I have never been to either! They both have a good reputation for treating Jags well, without dealer cost. I'm considering paying for some suspension work and I'm going to check in with these places first. I think it would be worth stopping by for an introduction.
Agreed. I'm having the motor mounts replaced on my XKR tomorrow and its covered under warranty, so good news there. I called all 3 places to get a quote before I found out I was covered and only British Automotive called me back. The other 2 said they would check and call me back....no call yet. So the no call back thing speaks to me about customer service. Anyway, thx for the feedback...keep me posted and i'll do the same

Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2004 STR in my fleet. British Automotive has done brake work for me, one of their guys, maybe the chief mechanic drives an STR and seemed to know a lot of the pros and cons (quirks) to the STRs. He also designed and has had manufactured replacement bushings for front suspension if I remember correctly. Give them a try.
good luck and post any good or bad experiences as we all want to know!

bklynchris (04-16-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend British Automotive in the Scottsdale Airpark. Greg was a Jaguar Field Tech for Jaguar in South Africa once upon a time. He's a nice guy and impresses me to be a straight-shooter. They turned up a very rare code on my Jaguar when an engine light came on, and traced the problem to an "internal" oil leak that was fouling a sensor. In my dealings with them... when they can save you money they do... as an example... they might make a recommendation to buy a rebuilt part over a new one... if all things are equal. They seem to have a lot of long-time loyal customers too.

bklynchris (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dccherry1
2004 STR in my fleet. British Automotive has done brake work for me, one of their guys, maybe the chief mechanic drives an STR and seemed to know a lot of the pros and cons (quirks) to the STRs. He also designed and has had manufactured replacement bushings for front suspension if I remember correctly. Give them a try.
good luck and post any good or bad experiences as we all want to know!

Will do, thanks.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Fellow AX Jag owners,
I went to Sports and Collector Car in Tempe since it's near my office and my school...I'm the old ******* attending ASU..LOL I just asked them to do a maintenance check because my warranty is expiring. They were very customer friendly and said my Jag is in perfect health. I'm going to take her to British Automotive Repair in Scottsdale next Friday to get a 2nd opinion. I'll report back and let you guys know what the experience was there.