US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Jaguar Land Rover Austin

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Jaguar Land Rover Austin

Just thought I would let everyone who is interested know that I have been very impressed with JLR of Austin for the first service I have had performed at the dealership since Charles Maund handed over the franchise to them.

Went in for a 30K service. They were professional and I was given a Jaguar XF loaner. My service guy (Chris) was very polite and very helpful. The final price was a little bit of a sharp intake of breath but they did everything they promised and within the time frame envisaged.

30K service (all the cost!!)
New wipers (no labor charges)
Replaced rear light assemblies under warranty (LEDs were out on both units).
Fixed a roof console wayward Jaguar Sense lighting assembly under warranty
Looked into a rear driver side door panel rattle (NFF) (warranty)

Total was just over $420. Car was perfect and cleaned. Very impressed.

To be recommended.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Whitby -- good to know (I think!) even if the price is a little more than one might hope for a routine service other than warranty work. Glad you feel the place is reliable and service was good. As a new owner in Austin I've been looking at my options and this place seems a sensible place to try.

peace
oscarxj8

Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two xk 8 2000s, need a good reliable mec. , I live here in leander tx

Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

JSA "Specializing in Jaguar Repair" 13724 N I35 in Austin, is run by Dan Keller a former Maund Mec. Had an '04 XK8 and had the warranty work done by Maund. No problems.
New one '10 XKR is , of course, still under warranty.

Last edited by Fjk; 11-09-2011 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oscarxj8 (12-17-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I went in to Jaguar Land Rover Austin with an uneven tire wear issue. They wrote an estimate for $3,300. I asked to talk with the mechanic so I could get a better idea which of the listed items was affecting tire wear, the service writter said that I couldn't talk to the mechanic and instead acted as the intermediary which didn't result in a satifactory explination. I went to Dan on I35 he talked to me at length and told me that it was an allignment issue and provided a logical explination. It cost about $100.

I don't really view this as abnormal dealer behavior, but I don't have endless amounts of money to spend on car maintenance.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:15 PM

I just used Austin Jag/LandRover for a routine 30k miles service. I had to pre-book a slot one week ahead which was not a problem and had me thinking this place was well-organized. But after dropping it off early one morning I was told to expect it to stay in overnight. Yikes. The next day I was told it would be another day....all in all it took three days to get that service done! If that was not bad enough, I had to call them each day to get an update - my 'service rep' promised me responses but never called, not once in three days, and when I phoned them to find out when I could get my car back I was given a merry-go-round of waits, transfers, and dead-air until I could get someone to answer me (my 'rep' having taken the day off). I have to say I was totally unprepared for this type of treatment and have never experienced anything quite like it.

So, lesson learned, I shall not return there in a hurry, which is unfortunate as I hoped to develop a constructive relationship with a good dealer. JSA seems like it's worth a try, but I wonder if I should just take my car into Quick Lube for oil changes and use Groovy or an equivalent local shop for the rest. Clearly some of us have different experiences with Austin's only official Jaguar dealership but for me, basic good manners and an effort to make me feel like they want my business are prerequisites of spending my money and time there. Really, an eye (and wallet) opening experience.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi guys - some independent shop options around Austin if any of you are interested. I have experiences with all - except Soulspeed.

JSA - on I35 S Frontage, north of Howard Lane
Owner/operator was the lead mechanic @ Charles Maund before the dealership got sold. Very good, and wealth of knowledge about Jags. Price is very reasonable too. They let you bring your own parts as well.

Classic Jaguar - 290 on the way to Dripping Spring.
The shop specialize in Jaguar restoration, the service business is kinda like a side business. I used to take mine down there before JSA open. Labor cost is a bit high, but they're upfront about it, and they do not allow customers parts. Sometimes when you're there, you get a bonus of seeing various classics in different stages of restoration, from XK120/140 to E.

There are a couple of indy shops that do not necessarily specialize in Jags, but they do let you bring your own parts, have good service and very reasonable price.

JC Automotive - Round Rock
Pampered Auto Care (PAC) - Round Rock

I use the first 2 for oil changes and engine-related work. I had to fix a seeping transmission pan gasket one time and Classic did it for me. The latter 2 I just used for parts install. I had new front rotors and pad installed by PAC, rear ones installed by JC. Not mechanically inclined, and rather have pros did that.

Both are near La Frontera. PAC specialize in Merc.

There is one other shop down near Burnett Rd, have not been there but it's well known and highly recommended among the local exotic/near-exotic car owners - called Soulspeed.

The following 2 users liked this post by r0m8470:
oscarxj8 (12-17-2011), suj10 (08-04-2020)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 PM

Hi -- as I approach the next oil change I've been looking around and noticed that Soulspeed is closing this month. But I also discovered Luxury Auto Works, who claim expertise in Jaguars, here in Austin. Anyone able to comment from experience?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar Machanic

I recently had 60k maintainence done on my 2005 X-Type and my 2006 XK8 at Marshall Motorsports. The XK8 also needed front brakes. I highly recommend using Greg Marshall. He has 20+ years at Maund Jaguar as a Gold Certified Jaguar Master Tech and trained all of the mechanics while they were open.
I always walk away knowing a little more about my cars just talking to him. He is in Cedar Park, 512-940-0415, mnmdog1@aol.com.
P.S. He is a lot cheaper than the Jag House.

The following users liked this post:
shayamanzi (04-16-2013)