US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Importing '07 XKR UK to California

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing '07 XKR UK to California

Ladies/Gents,

Recently relocated from the UK to CA and considering the option of importing my UK purchased 2007 Jaguar 4.2 XKR from the UK to CA to have some epic road trips, enjoy the (relatively) cheaper gas whilst hoping to not get beached/grounded on some of the larger speed humps and ramps?! No plans to sell the car here but eventually take back with me to the UK after a few years.

Been trawling through DMV information about Smog standards; my question is whether the 'factory standard spec' 2007 XKR passes the CA smog test or did Jaguar have to modify the car to achieve a pass? Any advice on where I can find the detailed tech specs for the smog test to compare to a UK emission tests would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, trying to weigh up whether I will be able to get it registered at the dreaded 'DMV' before parting with significant amount of $$$$ to get it shipped!

Many thanks!

Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the CA DMV there are many potholes. It is highly unlikely it is 50 state emissions equipped. If it is not, you better be sure you can get it registered.
Given how old it is and the cost to ship twice, consider leasing or buying a newer one once here. There are very good condition cars in CA. Get a 2010 or newer XKR!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:25 PM

NorCal,

Thanks for your reply, it's still a low miler and you'd be amazed how hard it is to sell a big engined car in the UK. I still can't quite get over how expensive even used cars are here, and even after paying export and registration both ways, it's still going to be a cheaper option over a 5 year period!

We have annual emissions tests in the UK but they don't test exactly the same gas levels as here (my new mechanic looked over my last UK test results).

Still trying to collect data on what the Smog pass/fail standards are; I'm not bringing it over if I'm not confident it will pass. I cannot seem to find what the pass/fail levels of HC, CO and NO actually are - my thinking being if I know what the pass/fail standards are here then I can get it checked in the UK to those standards.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good web resource that says what the pass/fail levels are, or be willing to privately share their successful/unsuccessful VIR with me for an 2007 XKR?!

Thanks

Old 06-09-2019, 05:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forums gasguzzler,

I think a major problem will be Type Approval. A few members have gone the other way (taking their US specification Jaguar to Europe) and the difficulty has been that US approval is not accepted in Europe. I'd be surprised if it's not the same trying to import a European specification and Type Approved vehicle to the US. JLR have not been helpful.

There's some useful links from this website:
https://www.autoshippers.co.uk/usa_c...ping_guide.htm

It appears that a 12 month temporary import could be reasonably straightforward but anything longer gets extremely expensive.

Graham

Old 06-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Graham,

Many thanks, I work for the UK government so certain exemptions may apply (I'll speak with my embassy).

For others interested in the topic, if you have a car older than 25 years then it seems to be easier otherwise you have to have a make/model that meets US safety standards (and they state that RHD are not automatically the same as LHD) and a make/model that meets US Environmental Protection Agency standards (even though you see some HUGE trucks out here belching black smoke!). This may all be possible for only a 12 month period as Graham states above but I'll report back what I can.