Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Canadians Importing US Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadians Importing US Vehicles

I'm curious if there are any Canadians here that have successfully located, processed and imported US Jaguar vehicles from the United States into Canada.

I would be interested to hear your anecdotal experiences, or advice.

I have the procedural information from RIV, United States & Canadian Border authorities, as well as the information regarding Clearance Recall letters, Temporary Trip permits, and Insurance coverage.

The savings, as well as the selection of southern U.S vehicles is spectacular as compared to the inventory we seem to have here in Canada.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I take it you are asking about used, not new. My Kitty came from Scottsdale. Use the RIV process. Jaguar USA can get you the recall clearance if the dealer doesn't get it for you. You have to pay Duty (6% I think it was) on top of GST as Jags are not North American made. So, keep these costs in mind when figuring out your bargain. You may also have to pay State tax, depending on the State, and title/temporary tag fees. I had the dealer switch to day time driving lights before I flew down to pick her up.

The only real problem was driving back across the border when it turns out that despite having all the sales documentation from the dealer, the border guard having trouble believing what I paid, pulled us into the garage and went through the car with a fine tooth comb.

Apparently they were looking for anything that showed I paid more than declared. They even checked the tires to see how new they were in case I wasn't declaring the new rubber. That was a few years ago when less cars were coming across than now.

Afterwards, they told me about the 'Vette fuelie that someone tried to import with a sales agreement that said $36K. Turns out they were some $60K short of what they actually paid. They checked and found it still being advertised on the internet! 'Vette was confiscated pending the proceedings for "tax evasion". All because someone tried to save $3,000 in GST.

Look for a deal. Calculate all your costs. Make sure your documentation is impeccable. Follow the process and head south!

A road trip is a great way to get to know your new Cat. Of course, there are dealers and shipping companies that will look after some of these details for you if you want to sit at home rather than drive your Cat back.

Last edited by mohrd; 03-06-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: clarifying re:used vs new
The following users liked this post:
Chesterama (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 PM

I am finding the condition, and mileage on the cars available for sale from the US is the single most attractive advantage to finding the 'right' vehicle.

The costs are much lower...and although we pay the taxes & duty - the costs still generated including travel expenses still don't outweigh the overall deal of finding a low mileage car for less.

Lower mileage cars found in Canada have higher asking prices ... maybe because our inventory is much lower here.

Thanks for sharing your experience...I will definately ensure the paperwork is done meticulously and documentation on the vehicle is as complete as possible.

I have already contacted Jaguar Canada to confirm their compliance requirements in importing a US vehicle - and I imagine they will confirm exactly what you mentioned. I also understand that there are a few other options that RIV will accept.

For the look and condition and outright original unique beauty these cars give off, it's no surprise that the folks at customs look at these cars and say "you paid what?!".

I expect to be passing through Detroit as it's a 24/7 facility that can process the car - that way I don't have to worry about what time I arrive at the border.

I was considering having the car shipped as well by a transport company, but that would take 90% of the fun out of the adventure .

Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

I like you spirit. I got acquainted with my Kitty with a long trip back including desert runs, freeways and the twisties of the mountain passes. Big, big grin on my face all the way...until the Border guard said "just pull your vehicle into the second door on the left"

Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 AM

I spend a fair amount of time in Italy and France each year and love the roads along the southern riviera - most notably for the long gorgeous sea side stretches and the thrilling sharp cliff side curves ... The mountain tunnel passes are the most exhillarting for open air heart pounding straight-line acceleration

I am looking forward to the drive after finding my big Cat - and I guarantee I won't take the shortest route possible - maybe hit route 66 - the desert salt flats - pocono's even - but I will definately make the drive home part of the logistics planning

Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd
I like you spirit. I got acquainted with my Kitty with a long trip back including desert runs, freeways and the twisties of the mountain passes. Big, big grin on my face all the way...until the Border guard said "just pull your vehicle into the second door on the left"
mohrd - can you describe how you arranged for payment, and if you were unsure, or uneasy at any time in processing a payment to the seller?

Fraud is rampant these days - and it can be easy to fall prey to slick operations that go to great lengths to deceive and manipulate an unsuspecting non-resident buyer.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Luckily, I worked with a dealer (Jaguar North Scottsdale) salesperson. I contacted them first and told them what I was looking for and he got back to me a few months later when he got the exact car. I had to send them some money to get the purchase started but I did check phone numbers and fax numbers before I sent any $. I also contacted the sales manager independently from the salesperson to make sure they were aware of the transaction and I wasn't sending the $ to the salesperson without someone else knowing. Built up a little bit of trust before sending them all the funds and felt comfortable I would get everything back except the title fees if I wanted to cancel the purchase when I got there.

The following users liked this post:
Chesterama (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Luckily, I worked with a dealer (Jaguar North Scottsdale) salesperson. I contacted them first and told them what I was looking for and he got back to me a few months later when he got the exact car. I had to send them some money to get the purchase started but I did check phone numbers and fax numbers before I sent any $. I also contacted the sales manager independently from the salesperson to make sure they were aware of the transaction and I wasn't sending the $ to the salesperson without someone else knowing. Built up a little bit of trust before sending them all the funds and felt comfortable I would get everything back except the title fees if I wanted to cancel the purchase when I got there.
Outstanding! Your attention on two layers of verification and transparency is to be admired... I will endeavour to do the same

Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM

.... My Kitty came from Scottsdale. Use the RIV process. Jaguar USA can get you the recall clearance if the dealer doesn't get it for you.
Did your US dealer obtain the letter, and if so at what cost, if any?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

They did get the letter and at no cost to me. As well, no cost to convert to the daytime driving lights. I put both into the sales contract.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but I`m not sure what is meant by the RIV process.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Registrar of Imported Vehicles Most everything you need to know about how to import vehicles into Canada.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Ah, thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You said you werecrossing at detroit,The u.s. customs will require that they have the actual title in their hands 3 days beforeyou arrive,Or if you decide to cross at Lewiston near niagara you can fax them a coppy of the title 3 days before you get there. Lewiston is the only border crossing that will accept a fax. I just went through all this in april 2011.Don't worry at all,as long as the u.s. has that title 3 days in advance,our customs are a breeze to deal with.You will have to pay the duty,and gst at the border,sales tax can be paid later.good luck

Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

That's a very important detail- have a look here

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - U.S. Customs

Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 AM

I have since imported 2 vehicles from the US .

In the case of Detroit - they require the VIN#, and a faxed COPY of the original title 72hours in advance of my arrival. Meaning - that 3 days prior to presenting the vehicle for crossing under it's own power, they require notice of my intent to cross, along with the identification#, and title#. In my case as I was driving from FL and made a vacation out of it, this was a non-issue as 3 days had expired before I arrived at the US Customs & Border Protection.

IN the case of Lewiston - they require notice of intent to cross - 72 hours - and will accept your notice by EMAIL. They ask you for the same information - except in this case only the VIN#, and Title# are required - not an original copy of the title. Lewsiton was unbelievable organized, and efficient in that the entire episode took lest than 5 minutes. In comparison the Detroit affair took approximately 20-30 minutes.

After the paperwork - a Border Protection officer does come out to inspect the vehicle briefly - likely verifying VIN#, and other safety, and custom related concerns.

Finally - on the Canadian side - verification of the year, make model by a Custom's officer are noted , and then the famed 'yellow slip' is handed to you with instructions to 'see the officer inside' - where they tabulate the amount of duty, taxes, and fee's owed.

I am happy to say it's easy, and with the strength of the Canadian dollar - it's worth it now more than ever.

The issues regarding RIV are straightforward, and registration in Canada was like any other car that wasn't certified, or emissions tested. In the case of vehicles brought over older than 1997 - the vehicle is RIV exempt for those contemplating this.

Both vehicles were not Jaguars however - the search continues!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 AM

NOTE: On arrival at both USBP Vehicle Export facilities - you will be required to present an original title for the said vehicle. There are some exceptions to this - where the original title isn't available - a bill of sale, and proof of payment, etc.

But in both cases - I had obtained the original title, and after giving the 72 hour notice, I was able to provide the original title on my arrival.

The key point being - the vehicle crossing offices require 'NOTICE' of your intent to cross with the vehicle info - and then on your arrival - you are to present the ACTUAL title.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response, and as you stated the strength of our dollar makes it very tempting to import all sorts of toys.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Question Importing a Jaguar from US to Canada

Good day,
I am interested in importing a 2010 to 2012 XF or XJ, Because i can't find what i'm looking for locally.
I believe in the Canadian Customs regulations, it is stated that all required import modifications must be completed by a Jaguar dealer in Canada.
Does anyone know if that is accurate?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM

I am just in the process of completing importation of a Jag from the US. Before the vehicle can be registered in Canada, a statement that there are no outstanding recalls needs to be completed. Jaguar Canada (& some other manufacturers apparently) have decided that these will no longer be provided centrally but you will have to go to your local dealer, who will provide it "when they are carrying out the work to make the vehicle conform to Canadian regulations".
There is no government requirement that the dealers have to do the work but they are trying to move the business their way.

Quick Reply: Canadians Importing US Vehicles