Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type 4.2 Tire Size, oppinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S-Type 4.2 Tire Size, oppinions

What would the downside be of running a 245/45r17 vs the 235/50r17 on my stock 2006 Jaguar S-type 4.2 with stock 17 x 7.5 wheels.

Would the cornering performance be noticable enough to warrant the larger size?

I do think they would look better in the wheel wells, but need to know the positives and negatives.

Thanks,

Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

They have a smaller sidewall height so you will feel more bumps in the road and such. The extra 10mm in width really won't give you much more feel in the handling department. If you want better handling, you might consider going to a high quality, sportier tire with a higher speed rating and consider replacing your struts if yours are getting worn.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. The width difference is not enough that you will notice it. Not by driving and probably not by looking at it. The lower sidewall you would notice both by sight and feel. You will feel the road more. The bumps, the imperfections, even rocks. You would get better handling because the side wall is lower but only if comparing two tires of the same brand and model. You could probably keep the same size and enjoy the cushioned ride while adding a more sport feel by buying a better quality tire. You need a premium tire with a strong reinforced sidewall. Look for brands like Pirelli, Continental, and Bridgestone. They all offer tires with nice stiff sidewalls. Stay away from bargin brands like Falken and Kumho. There is nothing wrong with either brand as they both offer decent tires at a great price, but the sidewalls would not be as stiff to give you the performance it seems you are seeking.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks

I didn/t think there would be a huge difference. Stronger sidewall and about a 1/2 inch smaller radius. Possibly a more squared profile tire. Was also tinking about suspension options. Not sure what direction to go there. There is a lot of suspension theory on the internet.

(May see about running the R front swaybar, bilstein b6 or b4 shock and struts, and possibly new springs.)

Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by petthesweaty
Look for brands like Pirelli, Continental, and Bridgestone. They all offer tires with nice stiff sidewalls. Stay away from bargin brands like Falken and Kumho. There is nothing wrong with either brand as they both offer decent tires at a great price, but the sidewalls would not be as stiff to give you the performance it seems you are seeking.

Not trying to bust your b***s but that may be an over-generalization, IMHO.

All the the manufacturers you've mentioned offer a wide variety of tire designs. I don't think brand name alone guarantees a particular level of sidewall stiffness or casing strength.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by brianshaw009
I didn/t think there would be a huge difference. Stronger sidewall and about a 1/2 inch smaller radius. Possibly a more squared profile tire. Was also tinking about suspension options. Not sure what direction to go there. There is a lot of suspension theory on the internet.

(May see about running the R front swaybar, bilstein b6 or b4 shock and struts, and possibly new springs.)
I'm actually running a non-CATS V8 Sport Bilstein setup with H&R lowering springs. The ride is responsive and firm but not too stiff. I'm also on stock 18" STR (245/40 front and 275/35 rear) tires so I'm not sure how direct a comparison it would be, especially considering the other difference from the STR to regular S-Type.