X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@#$ Electrical Connectors!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Default @#$ Electrical Connectors!

In the process of changing out the headlights on my 2006 Estate Wagon. Not too bad getting the bumper cover off, but it included a 1/2-hour of trying figure out how to disconnect the main light harness. The headlights are now unbolted and hanging from the front of the car because I'm unable to figure out how to disconnect them from their connectors. I gave up after 1/2-hour after partially breaking one of them. This has been one of my biggest frustrations with both my Jaguars; no two connectors disconnect the same way and none of them are intuitive.

Anyone else feel my pain (and/or have a solution)?

Old 04-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
In the process of changing out the headlights on my 2006 Estate Wagon. Not too bad getting the bumper cover off, but it included a 1/2-hour of trying figure out how to disconnect the main light harness. The headlights are now unbolted and hanging from the front of the car because I'm unable to figure out how to disconnect them from their connectors. I gave up after 1/2-hour after partially breaking one of them. This has been one of my biggest frustrations with both my Jaguars; no two connectors disconnect the same way and none of them are intuitive.

Anyone else feel my pain (and/or have a solution)?

Skip to 5:40 in the video. Unfortunately, as with time, these connectors seem tougher to get off a little wiggling and a tug should get them off. Last time out of frustration I snapped one of the plastic tabs to release so we will see how it works next time. A screwdriver to push down should help as well. Goodluck

The following users liked this post:
Norri (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I hit YT before I begin ANY first-time repair on a modern car, just to see what others have tried, and how well it works.

As far as inline connector retainers, don't worry too much if you break or lose one -- just take a small wire tie to hold them together.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight connectors

When I changed a burnt out headlamp on mine, I found that the socket had bonded itself to the lamp. I destroyed the lamp trying to separate them, but I was careful not to injure the socket. I had to dig the pieces of glass out of the socket, then I carefully cleaned up the contacts with a file until the new lamp plugged in and out without undue effort. I didn't have a replacement socket, nor the time to order one, but the new lamp has worked flawlessly ever since. Hope this is encouraging, as you are not alone in this regard.