X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 2.5 xtype need help with audio options

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 2.5 xtype need help with audio options

I'm new to the forum and to Jaguar and I have to say I really am enjoying myself. The car is great and looks really classy. And this forum is full with great people with a lot of knowledge.

I have the stock radio 4 speaker system.
I would really like to leave the radio but connect an iPod or some other MP3 player because I haven't used CDs in years and this car does not have a tape player.
I'd also like to upgrade the speakers for a better sound (not trunk rattling but clearer, cleaner audio) and lastly I don't want to break the bank doing this.

I've tried to locate the mythical ACM adapter but with no luck, and even if I did find it I hear that I could still run in to incompatibility issues between it and the radio.

My questions are, what is the best way to bring the jags audio up to date?
Can I just replace the stock speakers and get good sound, do I really need an amp? Should I give up on the stock radio and go aftermarket?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

You can't find an ACM? You have checked with your local dealer? The ACM would provide the best sound quality, although the total price for the unit and installation can be a deterrent.

If you wish to keep the stock look of the car, then you could pick up a head unit with a tape player from ebay or salvage yard, and use a cassette adapter. Better than using an FM modulator with the IPOD or mp3 player.

I would suggest at minimum replacing the factory door speakers with some decent aftermarket units (JBL, Polk, Kenwood, etc...). It is an easy job and will vastly improve the sound quality, and can be done on a budget. Personally, I've done that and also added a powered sub to the trunk for a good all around sound.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

It never occurred to me to contact the dealer.
I guess I expect far too much from the internet.
My major hold up with an amp is making sure it comes out looking great (wires all over the place).

Thanks Chris X I'll give the dealer a call and see what happens.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 AM

Wow what a difference! I installed Alpine Type-S 2-way 6.5" speakers all around and the sound is at least 10 times (if not more) better.

I did break a few of the door panel clips and needed to go to the dealership for 4. That was an added expense I didn't expect.

Now as for the ACM; I am trying to decide if that is the best way to go.
Honestly, if I go with the ACM it stays with the car indefinitely but if I get an aftermarket radio I can always pull it out when and if I ever part ways with the X . It also seems that regardless of which route I go I have to take apart the center console. Now its just a matter of price. I am waiting to hear back from the dealership on how much it will cost for the ACM, once I have that I'll make up my mind.

With aftermarket radios do the steering wheel controls continue to work, providing I have a radio that will work with them?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Usually you'll need an adapter to make the steering wheel controls talk to your particular aftermarket head unit, should you choose that route. Taking apart the console to pull the head unit is a 5 minute job.

You just put some good speakers in (glad to hear you like em), so I'd assume you will leave those in the car if you sell it. Why not tack on the ACM too, since you are already committed to some degree.

A tape player headunit if you can find one will be cheaper than the ACM I bet.

I have a few broken door clips, I find that each door can live with one or two broken ones depending on which breaks, without any rattle or noise.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Thank Chris for all the suggestions.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest the Harman Kardon Drive & Play.

The installation is neat, the sound quality is reportedly excellent, they can be bought for about £35 and can be removed if you come to sell the Jag.

Just do a search on this forum for Harman Kardon & you will find several pictures of some nice installations.

Cheers,
Kris