X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 jag x-type wont crank or turn on..help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 jag x-type wont crank or turn on..help please!!

Hello all,

After seeing here so many people that this community has helped I am hoping you guys can help me out too with your extensive knowledge of Jaguar mechanics.

I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L that for some reason now wont start. Id like to give you a little background to put the problem into context.
First I live in Chicago and I tend not to drive the car whenever it is less than 10F because it starts to overheat.

Monday night after I got out of work I had no other choice but to drive it home and it drove flawlessly without overheating even though it was 5F.
The next day I was feeling confident that it could make it back to work since it was 15F. I let it warm up to operating temperature and shortly after I began to drive, it started to overheat.

I pulled over and turned the car off and the fans didn't shut down until after 10mins. I turned it back on and began on my way. Again 5 minutes later it began to overheat so I pulled over again and waited another 10mins. This went on for another 2 more times.

I finally decided to leave it parked at a transit park & ride and take the train. I figured I would drive it the short distance back home when i got out of work.

I went to turn on the car and for the first time since Ive had it the car would not turn on. All I heard was a click in the cabin and the gauges fluttered. I tried it again and again no result. The engine would not crank.

I figured it was the battery and that I would try it again the next day when it would be a little warmer. The next day I went to try and start it and again the engine would not crank and you'd hear the click and the gauges flutter.

Today I figured that I would go with someone that could jump start my car. We proceeded to connect the cars and waited a few mins to allow it to charge a little bit.

I went to start the car and the engine began to crank but the car never turned on. After a few unsuccessful attempts it read on the dash "gearbox fault".

Now I read up a little bit on this issue and cant seem to find any consensus. Some say it could be moisture seeping into the car and affecting TCM/ECM and others say its the j gate..etc etc. I am able to change from P to R to N to D and all the positions. However, moisture did get into my car that night because of the snow of the back and forth entering/exit and also a rear passenger window was cracked open a little bit so their was frost inside the car.

After unsuccessfully trying to jump start the car and all the past issues I mentioned here, my only question is what could this be?

Any help is extremely appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

You should have your battery tested and replaced if it's bad. When my battery was low I had the same symptoms including the gearbox fault error.

The following users liked this post:
anONYMOUSdroid (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by emaraszek
You should have your battery tested and replaced if it's bad. When my battery was low I had the same symptoms including the gearbox fault error.

I suspected the battery immediately, which is why I tried to get a jump-start.

So does this mean that the car is not going to start even with a donor car providing the jump?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Bingo!!!

Forget "testing" the battery ... it's DEAD .. gone to heaven ... it is telling you in so many unambiguous ways (all endlessly documented here and elsewhere) that it is moribund ... it no longer has the essential spark of magic that needs to measure up to 12.5V or so under load ... It is knackered ... it has lost the will to live ... in short, it has DEPARTED ...

Forget jump starting, defibrillator or electro-convulsive therapy. Just buy a new battery. Yours is saying "I ain't no good, no more!" The good news is that there is probably nothing (absolutely nothing) wrong with any of the systems in your car.

Beware the "new" battery that is not fully charged. Buy it, take it hoime, put it on your charger overnight. Then, the really good news is that all your problems will disappear, the fully charged new battery will rush its magic into your car, and your world will once again be a more cheerful place.

Best wishes.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same "Gearbox Fault" and it wouldn't turn over. After a few panicked minutes I found a bad fuse and replaced it and it turned over. I looked up the fuse and it was for the transmission. Check or just replace any fuse that has anything to do with the transmission. For once money didn't fly out of my wallet when something happened.
Also, if your battery isn't starting the car you'll have to get a new one. You're also going to have to get a Jag battery. I don't know why, probably has to do with amps, but other batteries I've used just created more problems. Good luck.

Last edited by Jaguila; 01-24-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by anONYMOUSdroid
I suspected the battery immediately, which is why I tried to get a jump-start.

So does this mean that the car is not going to start even with a donor car providing the jump?
My car is having almost the exact same issue right now, which is why I wanted to comment on this. Whenever I turn the key to start it I just get flashing lights on the dash (see my thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rt-car-110483/)

Anyway, mine's now at the dealer as I suspect it may be a security-related issue. But, I told them to first check it with a brand new, fully-charged official Jag battery.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM

im having the same no start problems , but my car is a 5spd

Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM

im having a similar problem wont turn over got all the lights flashing when i put the key in.. and the gauges flutter.

and before it died i was driving it the radio shut off the windows and winsheild wipers were weak.. like just barely moving. and when i stepped on the gas it had no acceleration could barely get to 30 miles an hour. any ideas? i need to fix this asap

Old 01-26-2014, 02:45 PM

and i just tried to start it and now it works fine... hmmmm

Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed - get the battery changed - as soon as the battery goes you get dsc/gearbox ++ fault messages which can be misleading and panic newbies into thinking they are on the verge of major major expense. (been there, felt that!!!!). Once you fix the battery, don't wait too long fixing the overheating problem otherwise you will be back at square one very fast, esp. with current winter conditions.

FWIW, When i had overheating issues, we had to fix acoolant leak first (in my case, expansion tank problem) and then replace the fan - a sign that the fan is about to die is if it runs for 10 mins after the engine is switched off and you have no coolant leak issues.

Given the cold temperatures around your part of the world right now, the battery will quickly deplete from the extra workout it is getting from running the fan after the car is shut down, esp. if the car is not getting any long highway miles.

Best of luck!!,Let us know how it turns out.